Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

towing can i tow my 2859 with my 2016 ford f 150

need help

What is the weight of the boat and trailer together? Does that weight exceed the manufactures tow rating? You will also want to make sure that the trailer brakes are working correctly. Your load will outweigh your truck so you don't want to try and stop it with the truck brakes only.

Comment

Who knows; what engine, transmission? does it have a tow package. What is the weight of the boat, trailer, and gear onboard?
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

It could probably be done but personally I'd think an f 150 would be a bit on the lite side for a trailered 28.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I agree with builderdude... a 150 is too light weight, but it can be done. to do it safely all depends on how far and how fast you plan to go.. in addition, if you plan to launch and retrieve at a ramp. you may find problems because of the slope of the ramp.
          ive seen people who couldnt pull their boat up the ramp due to not enough traction, and others with not enough power.... and others who lost control when backing down the ramp.

an F150 usually has taller gearing, and is only set up for light towing.... pulling a 28 is considered heavy towing.

add together, the manufactures dry weight of the boat, with another 2000lbs for the weight of the trailer, and another 1500-2000lbs for fuel, water and gear... 13,000 to 14,000 is not unreasonable for that boat...

bayliner says my 2556 has a dry weight of 5.600lbs. but setting on its trailer, uncoupled from the hitch of the truck so it also weighs the tongue weight, loaded and ready to cruise, it weighs 11.300lbs as told by the certified scales... this is what is considered the towing weight... you can do the math for your 28.

NU LIBERTE'
          Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
          5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
          N2K equipped throughout..
          2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
          2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
          '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
          Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Don’t know how Bayliner figures their dry weights, but in my experience they are always less than what the rig eventually weighs when you get to the scale. I had an older 2755 that per Bayliner was supposed to be around 5800# as I recall. On the scales with an aluminum tri axle trailer, it was close to 9500. I figured 1500 for the trailer so IMO the boat was just about 8000 with minimal gas and gear onboard. Just my $.02.
            I am currently towing a 2005 Bayliner 275 with a Toyota Tundra SR5 which is about all that truck is capable of handling. I don’t think you should consider towing a 28 footer with an F150 unless you are only going a few blocks.
            1990 2755 - sold
            2005 275 - sold (now boatless)

Comment

• builderdude
              builderdude commented
              Editing a comment
              My best guess would be BL probably listed the dry weight of the base model boat without any additional options like big block engine upgrade, closed cooling, water heater, holding tank, refrigerator, house batteries etc. etc.

My 2859 weighed 10,550 on the trailer (light gear load-out). No F-150 has a GVWR high enough to do it legally (or safely). Even an F-250 takes some patience and special consideration. It'll eat your lunch if you're not careful.
            Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

I own a 2859 and she is heavy the trailer is a 3 axel and heavy, so I would be very hesitant to hock a 150 up but in the parking lot. loaded Picture of my set up.
              Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
              96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

It depends on many things.
                How far are you towing?
                Weights of truck and boat?
                Does the trailer have brakes/sway bars?

I used to tow my 26 foot Reneill with my Durango no problem.
                Joel
                1987 3818 Hino 175
                "Knotty Girl"
                Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

I would not tow that with a half ton. Not a chance. IF it were just to pull it out of the water and park it nearby, maybe, but nothing past that. Too light duty. Brakes, suspension is the problem. Power wise its probably fine but thats not the issue.

if something happens whether its your fault or not. An investigation would put you at fault for overloading the truck and render your insurance void.

Doug
                  1995 2859 -extensively rebuilt/restored 2016/17
                  496 big block - Bravo ll leg
                  The Doghouse
                  Prince George BC

Comment

It depends on your truck setup and the weight of the boat. Ford is advertising 12,200 lbs for a 2017 f150 with a 3.5 eco boost (11,000 lbs for a 5.0 liter). As long as the load weighs less than that you are legal. Will it tow well? Who knows ! Obviously a heavier rated truck will tow better but if you are not planning to go long distances my guess is that you should be okay.
                    Getting moving is the easy part, stopping .. now that is a whole other story. The trailer needs to have trailer brakes with that sort of weight.
                    As long as you have the right setup within the legal parameters then I don’t see any reason to tell you that you cannot do it.
                    Walker Bay 310 Genesis.........Yeah I know, sad isn’t it? Sold our 2859 a couple of years ago and just have not found the right next boat yet !

Comment

I had a 2452 and towed it to Ucluelet in my 1500 Suburban. I vowed never to do that again. Next year I towed it with a 2500 Diesel and it was night and day. Now I have a 289 and the 2500 Diesel tows it beautifully even over mountain passes. Since the 2452 is much smaller than the 2859, I'd only consider very limited in town and slow towing if only very occasionally.

Comment

The help you're looking for is... Don't do it. Sure, anything is possible, but get the right tool for the job. I had a 289 on my current 2800 lb. trailer, and it weighed @ 12,000 lbs. I pulled it with an F-250 diesel, no problem. Towing speeds and distances do not dictate towing ability or safety. And welcome to the BOC!
                        Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
                        Lake Havasu City, AZ
                        |
                        Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
                        2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
                        2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
                        2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
                        2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
                        And 12 others...
                        In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

The F150 has a tow mode on the tranny, it gears it down as well as computer changes, short distances should not be an issue, I would not tow it on the freeway though unless in a slow lane.
                          With a 3.5 I would be hesitant. I have a 2011 F150 5.0 with a factory hitch and trailer tow mode tranny.
                          Speed while towing is an issue.
                          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                          Twin 350 GM power
                          Located in Seward, AK
                          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

The half ton has suspension that is too soft and tires meant for a comfortable ride. You can get the rig up to speed, but it will be very scary in a crosswind or going DOWN a hill.

My suggestion goes along with the others; don't do it.
                            2007 Discovery 246
                            300mpi BIII
                            Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Working...
                            X