Boat networking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat networking

Do you have a network on your boat? If so what equipment do you use, and what do you use to connect to the internet?

I’ll start...

For our boats network we have a wired and wireless LAN.
    For the connection to the internet we have cellular from two different carriers, plus a satellite backup since we are in a remote area.
    The internet connections are set up in a preferential order to minimuze cost.
    For equipment we use a Cradlepoint MBR1200B router.

The end result is that we have internet and telephone while onboard anywhere we travel.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY
    SEWARD, ALASKA

I've been using a Huawei B890 4G LTE Smart Hub (on Telus) for a couple years. It's been great. The internal antenna appears to be way better than a normal iPhone.
    iPads, iPhones, and Nav suit are connected via Wifi.
    Fusion stereo is plugged in through LAN. (no wifi)
    Landline phone plugged into the phone jack of the hub (the boat now has its own phone number...)
    Everything seams to act just like broadband in our home.
    Our guest like the wifi hostspot onboard. We find the Hub and boat phone get better reception and data speed than handheld mobile phones..
    We also run an AppleTV through the HUB. HD Netflix no problem most of the time. Watch out, the data volume is crazy heavy. We go through a Gb / hour watching TV. We use a 15Gb/month plan so the kids can watch cartoons.

1997 Bayliner 4788 "Mostly Harmless"
    Sold: 1990 Bayliner 3888

Comment

Last summer in Seward, AK we now get free internet the city is providing, it would be easy to set up a wireless security system.
      Also through the wireless phone system.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

. . . reading and following with interest . . . . I've got a Vesper XB-8000 AIS unit that needs an antenna (doesn't HAVE to but would work better with one - or so I read) and that's all I've got right now. I think I need a modem/router(?) to attach to the antenna so that I can get internet and I'll put a laptop in line with all that. The new Garmin 1042xsv is on line with the Vesper, both wirelessly and via the NEMA2000 network. . . . . most of the time, I know just enough to be dangerous . . . .
        1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
        Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
        WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
        James H. Stradling

Comment

I have a Garmin 7612XSX that I will be needing to link to the internet as well as anything I intend to buy between now and next May.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
          X