Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about propane storage-gctid400217

Hi Folks,

Got a question about storage of the small propane tanks on the boat. I have a Magma grill on the boat and would like to know where you all store your propane cylinders when not in use? Doesnt make sense to store them inside because it does get hot in the cabin. If stored outside, it would get hot out there in the sun also? Any thoughts?

Well I don't think that you need to be very fussy with these, they're quite underfilled.

I keep mine in an outside locker, but really I'd put 'em anywhere except the engine compartment.

Comment

Those little bottles can leak. IF IN THE CABIN, THEY WILL FILL IT AND ITS MORE EXPLOSIVE THAN GASOLINE. The opening for the regulator is spring loaded to (aledgedly close when the regulator is removed. If a piece of dirt gets in there and holds it open, even a few thousands....We has a BOC rondezvous a wile back. One of the boats had that smell in it big time. The owner thought it was the holding tank. Investigation showed one of the propane bottles leaked. If there was a spark, there would have been a hole in the water where the boat was.

I bought brass screw on caps at a camping supply store, which has a rubber seal in it to prevent leaks. However, I keep them in a sealed plastic bag in the stern storage, above deck.

Another thing: Keep them in individual zip lock bags, with as much air squeezed out as possible. If the bag inflates, you had a leak.
      Captharv 2001 2452
      "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

These tanks can and will leak.I have a MAGMA bbq and they offer a pretty cool propane tank storage solution:They come in multiple colors, mine is pacific blue:

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703953=29693-A10-210PB-prod.jpg[/img]http://www.magmaproducts.com/Product...a10-210pb.html"Stows 3 disposable butane or propane canisters safely out-over-the-water."This is what I use. It's about $40. Hope this helps.

Comment

hhmmmm,,,,,,,

Rethinking my earlier devil-may-care attitude.......

Comment

ABYC has simple and IMPORTANT guidelines on propane storage. They must be in a location where leaking gas won't end up inside the boat (propane is heavier than air). This means a compartment that is vented outside the boat. For example, a storage locker with a drain overboard, or the lazarette. The latter is where I keep mine. It is both outside the cockpit and has a drain.

DO NOT PUT THEM:

In the cabin.

On the cockpit sole.

In the engine room.

In a locker that doesn't drain overboard.

I personally have found a bottle that vented catastrophically through the safety vent, and another that was empty over time so it must have leaked out slowly. They weren't exposed to direct sun or anything like that. If those bottles had been in the boat, it would have created a bomb.

Comment

Transom locker that drains overboard.
              Simo
              2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
              Shameless lurking on Lake Keowee with a Harris Cruiser 210 Tritoon/Mercury 150XL EFI

Comment

I keep three bottles in my anchor locker. It vents overboard, is easy to get to, and I can still deploy my anchor. There is a line of them on the starboard side, skootch the chain and rode to port.
                Tally and Vicki
                "Wickus" Meridian 341
                MMSI 338014939

Comment

captharv wrote:
                  Another thing: Keep them in individual zip lock bags, with as much air squeezed out as possible. If the bag inflates, you had a leak.
                  Great Idea! Thanks

Comment

simo wrote:
                    Transom locker that drains overboard.
                    Pretty sure your boat and my boat's transom locker drains to engine bilge??

Comment

we have a special tote that fits under the helm in the flydeck on our 3888. They dont rattle around and are safe from the sun beaming on them..

Comment

Working...
                      X