Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for/against Aquaglide Multisport 270 Inflatable Sailboat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for/against Aquaglide Multisport 270 Inflatable Sailboat?

Despite the name sounding less family-friendly, it's actually a cute little inflatable boat with sail! You can theoretically use it as a sailboat, rudimentary windsurfer, or wide paddleboard, depending on the weather. I'm contemplating picking one up for the big boat as a fun toy out on long trips up to Desolation Sound and such. Anyone have one or something like it?

[attachment=42391]def87d5a-065a-4322-a277-618bcfe79f69_1.ff2a47b7b70895492fee70feac83ed17[1].jpeg[/attachment]

Product Link

Attached files
    2004 Meridian 408 - Anacortes, WA - 2x6BTA 330s, 10.5' Rendova/25hp Mercury 4stroke
    1999-2001 Bayliner 3055 - Bellevue, WA - Looking for a good boat, Ideally 2x5.7s

We used to have a Walker Bay 8' dinghy with the sail kit. It was fun to fart around in for sure. The 10' would have been a bit more roomy for 2.

I'm not seeing a center board so I assume that it's using the rudder as the counter-force? Sort of makes me think that it won't do very well sailing upwind or on a reach -- I'd think it would keep getting blown downwind? The Walker Bay had a fairly considerable removable keel so actually performed pretty well.

There looks to be a couple of Amazon reviews that seem to suggest it works just ok. Looks like it does lots of things -- probably none of them very well but beats having to buy a sailboat, paddleboard and kayak individually.
    Terry
    1999 Bayliner 3388
    Twin Cummins 4BTA
    Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
    Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

actually found a home video someone made here -- does have a small keel. sort of looks like a wide windsurfer/paddleboard -- neat idea

Terry
      1999 Bayliner 3388
      Twin Cummins 4BTA

Comment

I had one...I used it twice and sold it. The aquaglide was crappy at everything. It was a crappy sailboard (unstable, poor sailing characteristics, etc., but to be fair I was a bit of a sailboard snob, but I bought it as a trainer and it was a crappy trainer), a crappy sailboat (poor upwind, poor downwind, poor on a reach, poor to rig, and unstable). crappy kayak....never bothered trying it as a towable. crappy.

Comment

Yeah this is what I was afraid of. While I'm a competent sailor and would be fine with something that's at least intensely mediocre at these things, if it really can't even meet that bar then it sounds like I should pass. Thanks for the details!

I noticed they just released a newer more expensive version late last year, which in theory solves a bunch of the problems with this one, so I'll have to see if there's any reviews of it to see if it's any better, or just more of the same.
          2004 Meridian 408 - Anacortes, WA - 2x6BTA 330s, 10.5' Rendova/25hp Mercury 4stroke
          1999-2001 Bayliner 3055 - Bellevue, WA - Looking for a good boat, Ideally 2x5.7s

Comment

Though not inflatable, I used this vintage CONNY.

Cool & flexible craft (sail, row, motor).

I plan to sell it in the spring...

Attached files

John (formerly 89 2755 5.8 OMC & 97 1850SS 4.3L Alpha I)
            Now enjoying 1984 Marinette 28.

Comment

I have extensive sailing experience and was an instructor and spent considerable time chasing a world speed record. I would not give that thing to my 12yo kid. I'd burn it.
              Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

Comment

in my profile picture is a walkerbay 8 with sail kit. the smallest and worst sailing craft I've ever had. I've owned dozens of sailboats and windsurfers. the wb8 was quasi plausible as a training toy for my kid who outgrew it (skill-wise) in 1 year.
                Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

Comment

Yeah, we're basically just looking for a fun way to sail around a bay/area for an afternoon once we've already motorboated to somewhere remote. We have a Rendova w/25hp motor on it for actually getting places, this would completely just be a toy to spend the afternoon in. So, the bar is pretty low. But it still sounds like this thing still can't meet that bar.

Comment

Something like this looks like it would work -- sort of resembles a 29-er: http://www.tiwal.com/us/tiwal-3-2/overview-2/ -- just a little bit more than what you were initially looking at, but hey, it's fun spending other people's money ;-)

It's hard to find something portable that doesn't take up a ton of room. To me something Walker Bay like works ok -- absolutely it's not a racing boat but for farting around in the water I found it sailed reasonably well even with 2 adults. You're not going to take something like that out in 20kt winds but I did find I could get it to do almost anything. We had the inflatable pontoons around the gunnel so the thing was super stable. Not a race boat, but to get out and play in the water they are close to indestructible. We picked ours up for $1500 with the sail kit used, and sold it 4 years later for $1500....

The bonus with the walker bay is that you can use it as a tender -- they row well and can put up to a 4HP motor on the 10ft. The sail kit is very simple -- a 2 piece mast and single boom -- sail simply slides over with some very simple rigging. The boom, mast and sail all hid away well inside our boat until it was ready to use.
                    Terry
                    1999 Bayliner 3388
                    Twin Cummins 4BTA

Comment

Found the grandaddy of all pages for you here: https://www.sailboatstogo.com/catalog/DINGHY_RIG
                      Terry
                      1999 Bayliner 3388
                      Twin Cummins 4BTA

Comment

Well, that Tiwal thing certainly looks nice. Might be a while before I can convince myself to spend 5 boat units on one, though...

Comment

Working...
                        X