Will this motor work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this motor work

I have a 1980 Bayliner Saratoga with a 350 in it not sure if the motor is going to work out so my question is I got a friend of mine who has a 94 GMC 2500 with a 350 with around 160,000 miles would this block and engine work would I have to change the heads and put my heads on his motor what would it take and will it even work thanks for all

"Hicks" post=828708 wrote:
    I have a 1980 Bayliner Saratoga with a 350 in it not sure if the motor is going to work out so my question is I got a friend of mine who has a 94 GMC 2500 with a 350 with around 160,000 miles would this block and engine work would I have to change the heads and put my heads on his motor what would it take and will it even work thanks for all
    Not a mechanic, so I don't know the specifics of the actual change. But from a boater perspective, you want to take a motor that (likely) already has half of its serviceable life gone, that has (likely) run most of its life in the 2300RPM range, and put it in and boat where it will (likely) be running 3300-3800RPM for very long periods while underway?

IMHO, since marine engines get a fraction of the serviceable life of a vehicle engine, do solely on the tremendous expense of having to rebuild it sooner than I would have to, I'd want to put something that I know will last the longest ...before I'd have to do it again.
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

Comment

Don't waste your time swapping a tired marine engine for a non-marinized tired truck engine. If money is tight, take out your current 350 and send it out to be remanufactured or swap it for a remanufactured long block.
      Johnson Point, Olympia, WA
      1989 2855
      Horizon 6.2 and Bravo II

Comment

This is my thought not knowing... is that I can pull the engine out of the boat I got and rebuild for around $600 that's me doing it myself which I have no problem doing but I could have bought this truck with this motor for 400 bucks so I didn't know what the right way to go was

Comment

"Hicks" post=828717 wrote:
          This is my thought not knowing... is that I can pull the engine out of the boat I got and rebuild for around $600 that's me doing it myself which I have no problem doing but I could have bought this truck with this motor for 400 bucks so I didn't know what the right way to go was
          If you have the skills, but even if you didn't, I would definitely rebuild the marine engine.
          "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
          TDI tech diver
          Kevin

Comment

Also just want to let everybody know that I'm new to this big boat inboard sterndrive stuff I've only had flat bottom boats with Outboards and bass boats and CC's all my life so I'm probably going to ask a bunch of stupid questions so in the future you'll know why LOL

Comment

"Hicks" post=828722 wrote:
              Also just want to let everybody know that I'm new to this big boat inboard sterndrive stuff I've only had flat bottom boats with Outboards and bass boats and CC's all my life so I'm probably going to ask a bunch of stupid questions so in the future you'll know why LOL
              Then do us all a favor and fill out your profile and signature block. That way, we can see your boat info, where you are and what your experience is. Then, as we read each question you post, we don't have to go through all your past posts to properly address your questions. Just click on your name, then EDIT.
              TDI tech diver
              Kevin

Comment

Will do thanks

Comment

A marine engine has a different cam. If in salt the water pump will need to be changed. Also the core plugs (freeze plugs). I think pistons are different.

Carb, distributer, starter, alternator need to be marine.

Likely forgot something but I don't think you would get good service from that engine.

Doug
                  Started boating 1955
                  Number of boats owned 32
                  Bayliners
                  3870 presently owned
                  Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Camshaft, pistons, valve seats, head gasket, frost plugs, oil pan (and I am sure there is a bunch of stuff that I have forgotten) are all different on a marine engine vs a truck engine. Of course all the peripherals need to be marine too...starter, alternator etc. Etc. Etc. If all you are looking to get is most of a season out of the truck engine then your expectations might be met. Who knows, maybe you will even get a full season out of a truck motor in your boat. Don't expect much more than that though. If you want to turn it into a marine engine that will last, you will be far cheaper off putting a proper marine engine.

Trust me on this one, I have a Dead Chevy truck motor in my boat that made it almost 1 1/2 gently used seasons since being purchased brand new From the GM dealership.

Truck motors and boats simply do not mix !!
                    Walker Bay 310 Genesis.........Yeah I know, sad isn’t it? Sold our 2859 a couple of years ago and just have not found the right next boat yet !

Comment

Okay well I guess I know the answer to this if this motor isn't going to be up to Snuff I'll pull it and rebuild it thank you all for your responses .. much appreciated

Comment

If the engine is raw water cooled and was used in salt water I would not rebuild it as the water passages have been corroding and loosing wall thickness. If this is the case I would either buy a marine rebuilt long block or have one built by a shop that is expierence in building marine engines.
                        1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

and then on the other hand, there have been a LOT of DIYers who have taken a used automotive engine, fitted it with the proper cam (without rebuilding it) and have gotten a good service life from it.... more than a few years have gone by, but at one time this was fairly common. maybe its how one uses or abuses the engine that is the difference, but a dependable conversion is possible.

the heads and cam are the 2 major components that need to be "Marine" to stand up to the service a marine engine is subject to. and for saltwater use, the freeze plugs should be brass or preferably stainless steel for longevity.

the peripherals such as alt, carb, starter, ect are also a concern, and absolutely if the engine is in an enclosed space.

some of the newer engine are not a candidate for this simple conversion... nor am I advocating that just anyone should try it with an older engine, but it has been done successfully many times.

but these success's were almost always made by people who were reasonably good mechanics who knew the differences between an automobile engine and a marinized engine... and knew how the engine was going to be used afterwards.

if one looks around, he will find there are a lot of used boat engines that could be installed, rather than attempting a questionable conversion on a truck engine.

we ALL would prefer new and fresh, but it is my solid opinion that any engine that has several hundred hours on it is a used engine, but that does NOT mean its an undependable or wore out engine...

every time I start my motor that was dependable last time I used it, when I start it today, its just another "used" motor that im hoping will be just as dependable this trip out, but I dont really know that it will be.... and the next time I take it out, it will be more "used" than it was the last time.... so used engines shouldnt be discounted when your working on a budget, BUT, an internal inspection of the engine will give a good indication of how much life should be left in it, if cared for properly... for only the price of a gasket kit.

but take nothing for granted when it comes to anything about a boat, other than they arent cheap toys..

NU LIBERTE'
                          Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                          5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                          N2K equipped throughout..
                          2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                          2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                          '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                          Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

"Centerline2" post=828778 wrote:
                            and then on the other hand, there have been a LOT of DIYers who have taken a used automotive engine, fitted it with the proper cam and have gotten a good service life from it.... more than a few years have gone by, but at one time this was fairly common. maybe its how one uses or abuses the engine that is the difference, but a dependable conversion is possible.

the heads and cam are the 2 major components that need to be "Marine" to stand up to the service a marine engine is subject to. and for saltwater use, the freeze plugs should be brass or preferably stainless steel for longevity.

the peripherals such as alt, carb, starter, ect are also a concern, but mainly if the engine is in an enclosed space.

some of the newer engine are not a candidate for this simple conversion... nor am I advocating that just anyone should try it with an older engine, but it has been done successfully many times.

but these success's were almost always made by people who were reasonably good mechanics who knew the differences between an automobile engine and a marinized engine... and knew how the engine was going to be used afterwards.

there are a lot of used boat engines around, if one looks, that could be installed , rather than attempting a questionable conversion on a truck engine.

we ALL would prefer new and fresh, but it is my solid opinion that any engine that has several hundred hours on it is a used engine, but that does NOT mean its an undependable engine...

every time I start my motor that was dependable last time I used it, when I start it today, its just another used motor that im hoping will be just as dependable this trip out, but I dont really know that it will be.... and the next time I take it out, it will be more used than it was the last time.... so used engines shouldnt be discounted when your working on a budget, BUT, an internal inspection of the engine will give a good indication of how much life should be left in it, if cared for properly... for only the price of a gasket kit.

but take nothing for granted when it comes to anything about a boat, other than they arent cheap toys..
                            Marine gas engines start from auto castings so yes one could take an auto engine and convert it which is what you get when you buy a rebuilt marine short or long block as they won't touch a used salt water engine as a starting point.
                            1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

It is raw water cooled but it was a freshwater boat all its life I on the other hand plan to take it to the salt water

Comment

Working...
                              X