Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 Bayliner Ciera 2455 - A couple questions (Please help)-gctid400012

Hi everyone,

I recently was approached by someone to trade even up for my two atv's. I looked the boat over and decided to do it since we were looking for a cruiser anyways. It is a 1988 Bayliner Ciera 2455. It is in good shape and the bimini/camper canvas are in awesome shape. Motor looks/sounds good and so does the outdrive. We are going through it cleaning, checking things overs before it lands in the Marina.

I have a couple questions if you have the time to help me:

1. Any tips how to check the head and sinks before I drop it in the water. I am pretty sure the head will only work while she is floating, am I correct? Or can I dump water in it and flush it to see if the plumbing to the holding tank is ok?

2. Do you guys add anything (treatments) to the fresh water tank or holding tank?

3. If I lay the table top in the vberth, there is a gap between the table and the forward cushion, is this normal? I am lucky enough to have the table and matching cushion still but the gap doesn't seem normal.

4. I have a ton of wires going to the dual batteries. Is this normal for a dual battery setup?

5. Lastly, I have read conflicting info on how to fill the OMC outdrive. Can someone confirm if it is filled from the bottom (like my merc) or from the middle.

Sorry for all the questions but I have never had all these options in our little cuddy lol. If you can think of anything else I may have missed then please share like tips or tricks!

Excited to get this boat out on the water!!!

A couple pics...

Looks like a really nice find.

Comment

There should be a thin piece of wood covered in matching material that fits into that spot. Check around the boat, under cushions ect. I made a cardboard template on my old boat then made one out of plywood....then I found the piece a month later.

The fill is from the middle iirc, you should get a manual for the amount of fluid (hi-vis) and the proper procedure. You check the dipstick level with it unscrewed ect.

Not sure about the wiring...

You can take the hose off the head pump and fit another piece and see if it will draw from a bucket. There is a way to sanitize the fresh water system on BOC, just use the search. I do it twice a season.

Nice boat.

Comment

Thanks for the help! I will look around the boat better, maybe it's in the aft cabin as I haven't spent too much time in there. If not, sounds like a easy fix.

I am hoping she is a good boat. The guy I got it off of had every receipt from a fender purchase to full winterization and shrink wrap every season. Looks like it was well cared for.

There is one spot on the gelcoat I have to fix because his fender fell off and it rubbed the dock but that too sounds like a easy fix as well.

Comment

Good news for me, I poked around in the boat some more tonight and not only did I find the piece of wood that covers that gap between the table, I found the missing pole I needed for my bimini top and the pole for the cover. I even found the original covers to the port windows!

Amazing, everything is still in this boat from 1988......I am still amazed we found every little item. :worth:worth:worth

Comment

I'll be keeping an eye on your thread. I got a great deal on this boat and plan on some upgrades over the winter, but everything is running well and works just fine for enjoying the rest of this season. 5.8 L OMC (Ford) Runs great.

Comment

CNY750Rider wrote:
              Hi everyone,

I recently was approached by someone to trade even up for my two atv's. I looked the boat over and decided to do it since we were looking for a cruiser anyways. It is a 1988 Bayliner Ciera 2455. It is in good shape and the bimini/camper canvas are in awesome shape. Motor looks/sounds good and so does the outdrive. We are going through it cleaning, checking things overs before it lands in the Marina.

1. Any tips how to check the head and sinks before I drop it in the water. I am pretty sure the head will only work while she is floating, am I correct? Or can I dump water in it and flush it to see if the plumbing to the holding tank is ok?

2. Do you guys add anything (treatments) to the fresh water tank or holding tank?

3. If I lay the table top in the vberth, there is a gap between the table and the forward cushion, is this normal? I am lucky enough to have the table and matching cushion still but the gap doesn't seem normal.

4. I have a ton of wires going to the dual batteries. Is this normal for a dual battery setup?

5. Lastly, I have read conflicting info on how to fill the OMC outdrive. Can someone confirm if it is filled from the bottom (like my merc) or from the middle.

Sorry for all the questions but I have never had all these options in our little cuddy lol. If you can think of anything else I may have missed then please share like tips or tricks!

Excited to get this boat out on the water!!!

A couple pics...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images....jpg[/IMG]

Welcome to BOC. Looks like a nice find. I don't have your specific boat, so I won't try and answer your questions, but you have arrived at the right spot for answers. Spend some time researching right here and you will find comprehensive, complete answers to most of them.
              Mike & Dixi
              2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
              Closed Cooling

Comment

First off, remember this is an old boat and please either carefully check it out if you are certainly qualified or pay someone to do so. A lot can go wrong as you get into the larger boats, and we hear disaster stories all the time here particularly with older boats.

The head will only pull in water when the boat is in the water. Yes you can just dump water in the bowl and flush. We did then we used our 2455 as an RV a couple times.

YES, but only a non-chemical additive. KO is the top choice, most will agree. Other non-chemical, enzyme-based treatments work well also. West Marine, Walmart, and other local stores have them. NOT THE BLUE STUFF! Nothing that says it's anti-microbial or has formaldehyde.

No, the guidelines say you should have only four wires at most on a battery post. As is common with old boats, previous owners have cobbled stuff together and added stuff along the way. The right solution is to get a fuse/distribution box and a negative-side distribution strip. Mount those on the bulkhead with ONE wire to the battery.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I plan to have the Marina mechanic look her over before she hits water.

Comment

I just realized you are in Syracuse. Is there a "CLAYTON MARINA" sticker on the back of that thing?

I bet I knew that boat when it was new.
                    Matt Train
                    BOC Site Team
                    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Download_Complete wrote:
                      I just realized you are in Syracuse. Is there a "CLAYTON MARINA" sticker on the back of that thing?

I bet I knew that boat when it was new.
                      No, there is not a Clayton Marina sticker. I got it from a guy on Cross Lake. Previous to that, it was on Oneida Lake.

Comment

CNY750Rider wrote:
                        No, there is not a Clayton Marina sticker. I got it from a guy on Cross Lake. Previous to that, it was on Oneida Lake.
                        I still think I know the boat. If it was sold in upstate NY it probably came from Clayton Marina, and only a few came through with that boot stripe above the hull contours like that.

I grew up at Clayton Marina, basically, and was really paying attention to the stock in 1988.
                        Matt Train
                        BOC Site Team
                        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Download_Complete wrote:
                          I still think I know the boat. If it was sold in upstate NY it probably came from Clayton Marina, and only a few came through with that boot stripe above the hull contours like that.

I grew up at Clayton Marina, basically, and was really paying attention to the stock in 1988.
                          if you do know it, any good info to share?

Comment

CNY750Rider wrote:

4. I agree with Carlos regarding adding an auxiliary power supply and Negative connections, but with one exception.

I'd NOT come directly from the battery source. :thumb

You'll have the perfect location for power at the rear of your MBSS at the terminals.

This would be the "common" terminal for any power that you wish to be Interruptible..... or the #1 or #2 terminals for any power that you wish to remain Un-interruptible.

I recommend that we keep our batteries free and clear from any unnecessary connections, other than battery cables themselves.

This avoids the Rat's Nest, and small terminal corrosion.

5. This 1988 is no doubt an OMC Cobra drive. Search for Stuart Hastings web site.

I believe that Stuart will explain that the oil filling is done via the center fill port, and the risks if this is not followed.
                            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I agree if the MBSS is close and readily accessible. But I'd also follow the ABYC rule and not worry if there are just two wires on the battery. Prefer the MBSS, but not if it's hard to get to or far away. And either way, remember, a fuse within seven inches of the connection to the power source, even to a fuse block, unless the total connection length is very short.

Comment

Working...
                              X