San Juan Fog-gctid399970

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

San Juan Fog-gctid399970

Curious was on the boat yesterday and heard the US coast guard chime in about extremely poor visibility in the San Juans and to call in before entering shipping lanes. Was anyone out there? Was it as bad as they were reporting?

John
    John McLellan White Rock BC
    "Halifax Jack"
    1999 2855 383 stroker BII
    MMSI 316004337

Short story... it was bad...

We left Friday Harbor around 7:10 AM on Saturday and hit fog near the southern entrance. It was thick and about 100 yds vis. I slowed down to 7-9kts until I was clear of the opening and vis was about 1/2 mile. Went back on plane and got out of the fog around 8 miles out and back into the fog about 4 miles from Port Townsend. Saw a few boats on my radar but had no issues. Love my radar and GPS. I hit the buoy outside of Pt Wilson dead on based on radar and GPS and verified with visual... Then the Admiral was happy...

Waters were rough about mid straits but nothing to be pulled off of plane, just ran the trim tabs down 3/4 and had great control. Even got to surf some waves...
    Doug ;}
    MMSI: 338068776
    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Comment

It has been amazingly thick for the last few days.

It lifts by noon, sometimes sooner.

We don't deal with fog that much. Radar would be nice when it is foggy. When it is, we get to stay an extra day or half a day. We have been kept out there once. Bummer, right?
        Tally and Vicki
        "Wickus" Meridian 341
        MMSI 338014939

Comment

Waters were rough about mid straits but nothing to be pulled off of plane, just ran the trim tabs down 3/4 and had great control. Even got to surf some waves...

We often get a beam sea when crossing the straight. I pick up a wave and go for a ride. My admiral hates when we surf. Puts her head down and starts a prayer that usually starts with "Oh F&*%"
          :kidding
          "Halifax Jack"
          MMSI 316004337

Comment

We spent 7 days in the San Juans and returned yesterday to Pt Bob from Friday Hbr. It seemed the Fog banks were mostly from Lopez to Anacortes and South. We didn't see any fog on our trip except for when we caught the ferry from Friday Hbr to Anacortes. We sure heard the CG warnings on 16 though (I took the portable) and the Ferry had to slow down several times to avoid smaller craft......The Thunderstorm on Friday night was something to watch.... so glad I was safely tied to a dock with lots of sailboats (Tall Masts) around..... BTW fist time for us to the San Juans ....Loved it!

Comment

On Thursday I hit it just inside of Deception pass and was in it all the way to Lopez pass. Once inside everything was fine. But like everyone else said it was fogy almost every morning. Yesterday I shoved off from Roche about 11:30 and had drizzle but no real visibility problems.

Comment

Really reenforces the value of a good Radar system. We heard the notice to mariners going out when we left Laconner and saw the fog in the Straits but it was clear blue skies all the way down from Thatcher to Deception.
                Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

This is also where a chartplotter/radio combo with AIS comes into its own. You can ID the big commercial traffic on your plotter.

Radar is the big 'must have', but looking on the plotter for the big boys is somewhat comforting.

Comment

PugetMike wrote:
                    This is also where a chartplotter/radio combo with AIS comes into its own.
                    Or when a AIS transceiver shines. Not only will you see them... but they see you. As does vessel traffic and the Coast Guard.

iBoatNW

Comment

Came back in a nasty stormy sea between East Point and Pt Roberts yesterday around noon. Not in the forecast (Environment Canada).

2nd time we've been caught in the last 2 months - last time it was 50 knot winds at Sucia at 1 am. Lost our dinghy and motor too - has

not been seen again.

Is NOAA more accurate than Environment Canada - what about windfinder or windpredict?

Thanks - relatively new on the water (3 years) in a 32' Bayliner.

Deb

Comment

Last week while at FH, we had an awesome lightening and thunderstorm show in the evening. I shortened a clip to show how close the bolt came... We were on H dock in slip 25 about midway down that dock...

Doug ;}
                        MMSI: 338068776
                        "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Go Aweigh2452 wrote:
                          Last week while at FH, we had an awesome lightening and thunderstorm show in the evening. I shortened a clip to show how close the bolt came... We were on H dock in slip 25 about midway down that dock...
                          We were on Jones Thursday night and the lightning was very close as well. Friday at Deer Harbor they seemed close, but where actually a bit further off. The light show was fantastic though.

Funny that the thunder didn't scare the racoons any. I heard the little varmints on the boat deck Thursday night during the storm.

We only saw fog west of Guemes through Thatcher pass. We stayed north through Peavine and it was fine. A bit choppy crossing Rosario but not bad really.

Comment

kempdbc wrote:
                            Came back in a nasty stormy sea between East Point and Pt Roberts yesterday around noon. Not in the forecast (Environment Canada).

2nd time we've been caught in the last 2 months - last time it was 50 knot winds at Sucia at 1 am. Lost our dinghy and motor too - has

not been seen again.

Is NOAA more accurate than Environment Canada - what about windfinder or windpredict?

Thanks - relatively new on the water (3 years) in a 32' Bayliner.

Deb
                            Predict wind (Pridictwind.com )uses NOAA and Cdn Weather service. Both suck was heading for Nanaimo for the weekend coming home Monday with Tuesday as a back up. Was heading out Friday night. Monday forecast was 20 to 25 knts Tuesday fall back day was 20 to 30 knts. So we stayed home Saturday morning Monday and Tuesday both changed to 5 to 15 Actually was 5 to 15. For me in Canada I use the weather network for weather in general. They forecasted Sunday rain on Thursday.

So this year we lost two boating weekends because we checked the weather. Have changed policy from now on we are going to do what most in our marina do Ignore the weather and take it as it comes. We always have our PFD'S on. The boat is worth more on the bottom than on the surface
                            "Halifax Jack"
                            MMSI 316004337

Comment

You can get the actual winds and sea states off the NOAA buoys updated by the minute. It's the best way to know for sure.

iBoatNW

Comment

Working...
                              X