No announcement yet.

Importing boat to British Columbia and PST in general-gctid827461

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Importing boat to British Columbia and PST in general-gctid827461

    Hi all. New to the forum, I'm landlubber from the Canadian province of Alberta (landlocked, east of BC) and I'm on my way down to Washington State to look at some Bayliner 3870's. I'm a little shocked to find out that BC residents pay 12% tax on used boat purchases, even if it's a private sale. In Alberta there is no tax on a private sale, but we do pay 5% on a dealer sale.

    It looks to me like I will need to pay this 12% tax if I bring a boat over from Washington and declare it. Just wondering if I'm missing something or if anybody out there knows of a way to reduce this hit. You might want to PM this type of advice.

    You're not a resident of BC, nor are you required to go through BC, right?
    Jeff & Tara (And Hobie too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Current: 2022 Sun Tracker Sport Fish 22 XP3 w/ Mercury 200
    2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
    2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
    2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
    2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
    And 13 others...
    In memory of Shadow (7-2-10,) and Ginger (5-11-21.)
    Best boat dogs ever! Rest in peace girls...


      Register it with Transport Canada with an Edmonton home port. It costs about $600. You will pay 5% GST to Customs as an imported boat.

      I did this with my import and once I had bought but before I imported I got a temporary registration, informed Customs of my pending import and brought it home.

      I just called in and they already had it in the system so they told me what the exchange rate was and hor much GST I owed and gave me 48 hours to drop off a bank draft.

      Very easy if they know all the detail in advance. I arranged and paid it at Oshawa Airport just a few minutes from home with a small 3 person customs office and not too much to do.

      They never even came to the boat.

      Much easier than surprising them when they ask "Anything to Declare?" Note that I said federal registration as opposed to provincial licensing. Licensing may work the same but I have

      no knowledge of it and you may have to ask Customs.

      How and when to register a vessel or pleasure craft in the Canadian Register of Vessels, and how to manage a vessel’s registry

      "Adios Dinero"
      1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
      Photo Credit: Whiskywizard


        Registration with Transport Canada may be similar to documentation with the US Coast Guard. It is a number that on my boat is under a layer of clear resin in the port lazerette, name and home port based. The USCG has a database that I could search to see if there were other same name and home port vessels as a name I was thinking of. There must have been twenty "Black Pearls" on the list. We wanted a unique name with a family connection and it had to be understandable on the vhf. My wife is of French-German heritage and we found that "Glauben" means "Believe" and there were no other vessels registered with that name.

        Point is, when you apply to TC you may have to provide a vessel name so you might as well have it be the one you want.

        The US system also includes a title history of the boat similar to a title search on a home and would identify any liens on the boat.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440


          Transport Canada has a similar search system.

          Your applicaition requires 3 possible names to be submitted. To ensure that you get what you want submit two that are already taken.

          In Canada no two vessels can have the same name so it must be unique. In the US system multiple vessels can have the same documented name.

          Harder to find out who it is when some idiot wakes your boat.

          My vessel is Adios Dinero just plug it in and it displays then click on the official number and the full registry displays.

          "Adios Dinero"
          1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
          Photo Credit: Whiskywizard


            Best check here.... but pretty sure you're OK.... the relevant section is:

            Boats Brought Into BC by Non-Resident Individuals

            For the purposes of this exemption, a non-resident is a person who does not reside, ordinarily

            reside or carry on business in BC and who:

            ´éº owns real property in BC, or

            ´éº leases, as lessee, real property in BC if the term of the lease, including the cumulative total

            of all options and rights to extend or renew that lease, is at least five years.

            Non-residents generally must pay PST on all goods they bring, send or receive delivery

            of in BC. However, if you are a non-resident individual and bring a boat into BC solely for

            non-business purposes, you are exempt from paying PST on the boat. We may ask you to

            provide documentation proving you are a non-resident of BC (e.g. a medical plan card from

            another province).


            Tyson, Ackerley, Sidney & Gene
            Tsawwassen, BC
            1996 2858 Ciera Command Bridge - "Island Passport"
            Mercruiser 7.4L (GEN. V) GM 454 V-8; Engine Serial 0F603347
            BRAVO III retrofit
            Home Marina: Tillicum Bay Marina, Sechelt Inlet, BC


              Check this:

              There are some big words in this, but just read carefully.
              Ron Freed
              Ladysmith, BC

              1996 2859
              7.4 L Bravo 2
              Ladysmith, BC
              History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270, 1996 3580


                There is no need to 'Register" the vessel. You can apply for a Licence Number when you have the import document from Customs. Being from Alberta , you can get a AB number if you want.

                You will have to take delivery of the vessel in USA waters { which of course it is} I would strongly suggest you use a Marine Titling Service to do the USA/Canada transfer of title and monies. Most brokers in the US and Canada use this for trans border transactions. If this is a private sale then absolutely use the service.

                Cheers, Gary
                Afterglow 4788
                Gary Weiss
                Sidney BC


                  Where do you plan on keeping the boat, and where do you plan on boating?

                  If you keep it in Blaine, or point Roberts, you don't even have to register it in Canada. You'll just have to register in WA and pay the 8% sales tax.
                  Huntington Beach, California
                  2018 Element 16
                  Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
                  Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952