Help on possible purchase-gctid399928

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on possible purchase-gctid399928

Hi Folks I'm new to this site and to Bayliners. With that said I'm Looking at a 1988 2655 with a 5.7 Mercruiser. He;s asking 5900.00

We went for a ride and the boat never planed. The owner said that he had shorted out the trim tab solenoid while working on the engine. When I talked with him last he said he'd get that fixed. So I may go for another ride. Whats the normal speed and RPM. It was running at 3000 rpm if you can believe the Tach.

It seemed like he wasn't to concerned that many of the electrical Items didn't work. The spedo for one . There was no canvas visible although he said he had a bimini I didn't see it. There is A/C so that's a bonus.

How much is a complete camper canvas for this boat?

Oh no trailer either.

Here's a link to the boat,

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...nbridge-335495

This is the first big boat we've looked at. Its just my wife and I and will sometimes be a few others. I have a 76-16 ft fish and ski now so I know a little about boats. I've done restorations on old Muscle cars and I'm an Electronics tech so I'm pretty good with my hands.

Should I steer clear and look at some other boats first?

Is there anything I should really watch out for before diving in?

How's the asking price?

The marina where it is is the closest point to the water for us so it's berthed in a good location.

Smith Mountain lake in Va.

Thanks

The boat looks decent. The price seems decent, but not great without a trailer. That said, tabs or no tabs, it should plane with a 5.7l unless you had the boat way overloaded with people. Or, it could be over propped not allowing the engine to get up to its correct rpm. Speedos often dont work, use some sort of a gps for speed. What does the bilge look like? Look closely for possible flooding or water damage. Check the transom, stringers and motor mounts for any rot. You need to at least look at the hull and drive out of the water. At minimum take a boat/engine knowledgeable friend with you the next time you look at it.

Could be a diamond in the rough... Or a bag of worms.

This is a great site for further input. Keep asking questions!

Ken

Pugetsoundog. (woof)

Comment

Crooz1n wrote:
      ..... I'm Looking at a 1988 2655 with a 5.7 Mercruiser. .........
      1988 would have been OMC. I suppose it's possible that someone changed this out.

Hire a Marine Surveyor....... it will be best money that you will have spent.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Sounds a bit high for that year 26 footer that won't go on plane and doesn't have a trailer. Camper canvas is expensive - at least $2K. You can rig an off the shelf bimini up for about $400. A trailer will cost you $1500 minimum used, $3000+ for a good galvanized trailer used. You would need a 3/4 ton truck to tow it.

Comment

Surveyor is the key word here. I only say this because he going to know were to look for soft spots in the floor and alike. Your paying for his experience in the end. Yes he may charge you $250 to talk you out of this purchase, but he very well could tell you its a great fixer upper. If you get a nice one, he will talk to you as he goes over boat telling you what he see's and what he is looking for. I think this would help you a lot with your background to make wise decisions in what ever boat you purchase. If he seems to be in a rush offer him $50 bucks to talk you through what he's doing. Can't hurt.

Comment

That's a trailerable boat. I don't think I'd buy it without a trailer even if you plan on keeping it in the water at a marina. Given the age and the fact that many "electrical items don't work" you'd have to get it home to work on it, which you could not do without a trailer. It's so much easier to work on a boat at home rather than in the water at the marina.

DO NOT use the seller as the final expert on the boat. His only interest is in selling the boat. If he burned out the trim tab motor, why didn't he fix it before he took out a potential buyer? Why did he let all of his electrical go downhill? That's just the problems that you can see, what about the ones he didn't tell you about?

I built up hot rods when I was a kid and I found that beyond knowledge of tools, that experience isn't greatly transferable to a boat beyond the basic engine knowledge. All of the operating systems that you need to work on are completely different.

I could be completely wrong, but at this point, I'd be suspicious enough to slow way down. Everything you do on a boat takes three times as long as your estimate and costs twice as much. If you buy it and find out later you got burned, you will end up hating it and be unable to resell it for what you paid for it.

Let the seller make it worth your while to go to the trouble of buying it, you're in the driver's seat. There's lots of nice boats out there for sale.

Comment

That should be an OMC, the gauges look like the Star Wars style they used then. I have the 5.7 Mercruiser on that same boat. I would get up without the tabs, it would take 30 seconds or so with three adults but it would do it.

I cruise 24mph @ 3800 and WOT 4400+ I never hold it long enough for true top speed but I would guess 30ish.

Even if its an OMC it should have similar performance imo.

Look at more 2655's it is a great layout,we love ours. You should have something to compare it to and when you think you have the right one, listen to what everyone else said, get a survey if you have never owned a boat like this before.

Comment

Crooz.....I am a new owner of a '99 Ciera 2655 since April so I'm quite a newbie. Paid 14K. Fortunately mine is in great shape. The Bimini could go 3 to 4K for a real good one.....Canvass covers over the Eisen Glass etc. Just a few pointers from my experience....

Check the bilge. What does it look like?

I had a mechanic check the engine when we fired her up. New cap, rotor, plugs and wires do alot as you know.

Do a compression check or better yet a leak test. If that is ok, then the plane issue seems troubling.....to me at least.

A marine surveyor can tell you if there is rot or other issues. Sounds like a good idea.

Good luck.....It is a nice boat.

PG

Berlin NJ

1999 Ciera 2655....first and only boat.......a newbie

Comment

Crooz1n wrote:
                  Hi Folks I'm new to this site and to Bayliners. With that said I'm Looking at a 1988 2655 with a 5.7 Mercruiser. He;s asking 5900.00

We went for a ride and the boat never planed. The owner said that he had shorted out the trim tab solenoid while working on the engine. When I talked with him last he said he'd get that fixed. So I may go for another ride. Whats the normal speed and RPM. It was running at 3000 rpm if you can believe the Tach.

It seemed like he wasn't to concerned that many of the electrical Items didn't work. The spedo for one . There was no canvas visible although he said he had a bimini I didn't see it. There is A/C so that's a bonus.

How much is a complete camper canvas for this boat?

Oh no trailer either.

Here's a link to the boat,

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...nbridge-335495

This is the first big boat we've looked at. Its just my wife and I and will sometimes be a few others. I have a 76-16 ft fish and ski now so I know a little about boats. I've done restorations on old Muscle cars and I'm an Electronics tech so I'm pretty good with my hands.

Should I steer clear and look at some other boats first?

Is there anything I should really watch out for before diving in?

How's the asking price?

The marina where it is is the closest point to the water for us so it's berthed in a good location.

Smith Mountain lake in Va.

Thanks
                  1. Trim tabs need to be fixed before you trial again.

2. Engine needs to be fixed before you trial. It should make at least 4200 RPM minimum and perform decently. It needs to get the boat up on plane, tabs or not, as long as things are not heavily loaded... though it may take a long while without tabs.

3. Bimini + front/side windows and back cruise curtain are about $1200 minimum... very dependent on your area. I just had all these made with Sunbrella Plus for my 29' for $1325 total, other shops wanted $2500+. Add a camper back and you're taking a bunch more. Take this into consideration - many boats will have decent canvas. Some people just use a snap-on cover, others like me want the full setup.

4. He may not be concerned about "many electrical items not working" - but you should be. The speedometer is not electric though, it's mechanical... and that is one item I would NOT worry much about. Add up the cost for replacing and repairing everything electrical which doesn't work, and remove it from your "normal boat" price, unless he fixes it. It may be a fuse, it may be shot... you cannot know and shouldn't go off his word.

5. $5900 for a 2655 without trailer is NOT a great price. I sold my 2850 which was fairly clean, with canvas and trailer, for that. If everything is functional/mint/etc. $5900 would be reasonable.

6. Overall, NEVER take the sellers word that something is an "easy fix", a "cheap fix", or "all boats/old things/OMCs/Bayliners/etc." have an issue and it's not to be worried about - do your research first.

I'd keep shopping... many sellers just don't get it and never will, and it doesn't matter as many of them end up actually finding a buyer that'll fall for it.

Comment

My advice? Don't bother with this boat. Keep looking. There are lots of good boats in great shape on the market right now. You don't want a bunch of unknown problems with a boat that has had such a sloppy owner, especially with your first big boat. You want something you can enjoy, that's reliable and safe. Why pay for his mistakes?

Even if you pay a few thousand more you are way ahead than buying this boat. Canvas is expensive and an express cruiser without canvas is just an expensive fair weather toy. Questionable electrical and mechanical areas are just going to turn into major headaches - it is the way of all boats. Just walk away from this deal and don't look back.

When you do find that boat that just makes your heart sing, get it surveyed by a professional.

Comment

That is a bit of boat for the price, but yeah the trailer and canvas is another 5k at least. If those things are not necessarily important to you - throw an offer at the guy and tell him exactly that - he is competing against complete boat packages that have everything. You could get a nice boat for really cheap. Also, how do you want to spend your time? If you don't mind (or actually enjoy) turning a wrench then this could be your boat. If you hate working on your toys then I'd keep shopping.

Comment

Ok I will probably walk away from this one on the advice here.

I do like the layout but really don't have much to compare it to, I tried finding a surveyor here and the only thing i got was a mechanic that would look at it for 80/hr.

I was concerned that it was a killer deal and didn't want to miss out. Now that I know its not a deal which isort of suspected without trailer and canvas, it will be much easier to walk.

From what I've just been reading today an early 90's boat may be some better than a late 80's. Of course that's what they say with Corvettes too.Buy the newest you can afford. (I have a 93 and an 03).

So since I will be waiting and watching.

Is there a super duper High performance combo to watch for as far as engine and out drive?

Thank

Comment

Crooz1n wrote:
                          Ok I will probably walk away from this one on the advice here.

I do like the layout but really don't have much to compare it to, I tried finding a surveyor here and the only thing i got was a mechanic that would look at it for 80/hr.

I was concerned that it was a killer deal and didn't want to miss out. Now that I know its not a deal which isort of suspected without trailer and canvas, it will be much easier to walk.

From what I've just been reading today an early 90's boat may be some better than a late 80's. Of course that's what they say with Corvettes too.Buy the newest you can afford. (I have a 93 and an 03).

So since I will be waiting and watching.

Is there a super duper High performance combo to watch for as far as engine and out drive?

Thank
                          Look for something that is fuel injected and has counter-rotating props (aka - duo-prop(Volvo) or Bravo III (Mercruiser).
                          Mike & Dixi
                          2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
                          Closed Cooling

Comment

Here's a link to a page of comparable 2655's on Yachtworld. These are listings from all over the states:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...dedSelected=-1

I'd deduct about 20 to 30% off the asking price to ascertain a real-world selling price for these boats.

Comment

I think you can find a better value by shopping some more. $2-3K is easy to spend quickly even if the boat were in good shape. If you have to get into a obsolete outdrive,canvas,trim tabs a trailer you'll be better off spending more on a boat closer to what you want to end up with. We will always have to keep throwing money into it but It's more fun to spend it on upgrades instead of repairs. The money you will have to put into it in addition to the purchace price for sure will get you into a newer,nicer boat.

I've been involved with a few fixers and even with a lowball price it's hard to get out ahead of a good deal on a nice boat that's ready to run.
                              Carl

Comment

Working...
                              X