Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    The OP's boat is a 1976 Nisqually Command Bridge......... I.E., a much heavier SDN F/B boat ( SDN F//B = Sedan Flybridge).

This is why I suggested that with the s/p drive and a small 302 Ford Engine, it will most like be under-powered.

The easiest solution would be to install a Duo Prop lower unit.

I once owned a 24 foot Fiberform Baja SDN F/B with a 5.0L SBC and Duo Prop.

The hole shot was excellent..... and it could top out at near 40 MPH!

It was a Dog with the s/p drive.

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    "Jip" post=827293 wrote:
    So my next question is are these adequate motors or junk?
    Im not a ford guy nor do have any experience with a VP drive but with what you have, the small block ford 302 is a great little engine, probably won't pop out of the water super fast or set any speed records but definatly not junk IMO. There's allways going to be a bigger better engine and drive combo........

Leave a comment:

• Nauti_Mike
    replied
    I don't know anything about the OPs boat but I had a 1979 Sea Ray 22' cuddy that weighed 3600# dry with a mercruiser 888 (Ford 302 backed by a type 1 drive) and could water ski with no issues. The 888 only had a 2 bbl carb. Wasn't the greatest pulling a skier up but good enough.

Leave a comment:

• CptCrunchie
    replied
    "2850Bounty" post=827309 wrote:
    [color]blue wrote:
    What you have is a Ford Engine, and I will suggest that the narrow intake manifold says that it is likely a 302 cu in engine.

This series Ford Engine has exhaust flow issues (small cylinder head exhaust ports), so most likely this boat will be under-powered!

I am also seeing what looks like Barr universal exhaust manifolds and 3" elbows that do not allow for low rpm exhaust relief with the early 280 drive. [/color]

Wow, Rick! I would thoroughly enjoy spending an hour in your brain just to see where all this knowledge is stored, ...not that I would understand most of it. Amazing, and impressive!

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    What you have is a Ford Engine, and I will suggest that the narrow intake manifold says that it is likely a 302 cu in engine.

This series Ford Engine has exhaust flow issues (small cylinder head exhaust ports), so most likely this boat will be under-powered!

I am also seeing what looks like Barr universal exhaust manifolds and 3" elbows that do not allow for low rpm exhaust relief with the early 280 drive.

Leave a comment:

• Jip
    replied
    So my next question is are these adequate motors or junk?

Leave a comment:

• Download_Complete
    replied
    Yup, someone repowered your boat with an engine and drive out of a Glastron.

Leave a comment:

• Jip
    replied
    Ok, here are some pics of the motor and the ID plate

Attached files

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    To the best of my knowledge, Glastron did not produce a SDN F/B boat.

A 1976 Nisqually Command Bridge would have been a Brunswick boat..... i.e, Bayliner!

Glastron did use their name on a limited production of Volvo Penta stern drives..... similar to Eaton and Chrysler in the earlier days.

Glastron was also known for their use of the 335 series Ford Windsor Engines (289, 302 and 351 cu in).

Pictures would be very helpful!

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    "Mr. Darcy" post=826939 wrote:
    Can't help but wonder if that might be a used replacement engine and outdrive from an old Glastron. Picture of the motor and outdrive might help solve the mystery.

Greg
    Was thinking the same thing.

OP if your sure it's a ford engine you can find out what it is using the casting numbers on the block/ heads etc.

Leave a comment:

• Jip
    replied
    I'll take some this weekend and post. appreciate your input.

Leave a comment:

• Mr._Darcy
    replied
    Can't help but wonder if that might be a used replacement engine and outdrive from an old Glastron. Picture of the motor and outdrive might help solve the mystery.

Greg

Leave a comment:

• Jip
    replied
    Yeah that's what is printed on it. It's located on the top of the block right behind the intake manifold. A little 2 1/2 - 3 inch thin metal plate. The outdrive is a Glastron also. Forgot to mention, it's a Ford motor.

Leave a comment:

• Download_Complete
    replied
    Glastron Boat Company?!

Leave a comment:

• Jip
    started a topic Engine ID-gctid826928

Engine ID-gctid826928

I finally located a engine seerial number for my 1976 Nisqually Command Bridge I recently got. It's a metal plate stamped with Glastron Boat Co Austin Tx and the number is 30V98040. Does anyone know where I can find out how to decode this number? Tried surfing the web but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
Working...
X