US CG vessel documentation renewal-gctid826389

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US CG vessel documentation renewal-gctid826389

Documentation renewal costs $26 per year through the US Coast Guard. Several of my boat friends have received a official looking letter offering renewal services at "www.uscgdocumentation.us". They can renew it automatically for up to 5 years.

Handy, yes, but expensive. Buyer beware.

Here is the USCG online renewal page: Pay.gov - USCG Vessel Documentation Payment Form

Here is a snip from the non-USCG page

APPLICATION FOR RENEWAL OF USCG DOCUMENTATION

Price: $75.00

ÔÇóPlease select any additional services you wish to have processedÔùªCertified Copy (COD) +$75.00

ÔùªAbstract of Title +$75.00

ÔÇóUSCG RENEWAL DOCUMENTATION ADVANCED PAYMENT OPTION

Eliminate the possibility of late fees and reinstatement fees by paying your yearly renewal documentation in advance. Your certificate of documentation will be automatically renewed each year, per the number of years selected, by U.S. Vessel Documentation, a private documentation firm.

NOTE: Each certificate received will be valid for one year. You will receive one 1-Year long certificate each year depending on how many additional years you have added.Ôùª2 year renewal (additional $75.00) +$75.00

Ôùª3 year renewal (additional $150.00) +$150.00

Ôùª4 year renewal (additional $225.00) +$225.00

Ôùª5 year renewal (additional $300.00) +$300.00
    Tally and Vicki
    "Wickus" Meridian 341
    MMSI 338014939

IMO, it looks like a scam. Regular renewal for five years is $130 and a bit of my time; they want HOW MUCH? It looks like $75 for their application and $300. So....my but of time saves me $245 for not using their "service". No thanks.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

It isn't a scam. It is a service (and I have heard they do what they say they will do) but at a high premium. The letter is very official looking, and my Mom likely would have gone for it. :cheer:
      Tally and Vicki
      "Wickus" Meridian 341
      MMSI 338014939

Comment

When I took over managing my dad's company, he got an official-looking past-due notice requesting he file an annual statement of information report for a fee of $300. He stormed into my house, livid that I hadn't filed it. I explained to him that I had filed it, and that it costs only $20 to do it online at the state government website. And that the mailed notice he got was from scammers (pointed to the big "This is not a bill. This is not an official government notice" printed on it that's now required by law).

He stood there in stunned silence for a minute. Then confessed that he'd been paying the scumbags every year for over 3 decades. (Started at $100/yr, and gradually increased to $300/yr.)
        1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

Working...
        X