Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it necessary to change inboard/outboard engine oil/filter every season??-gctid825298

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it necessary to change inboard/outboard engine oil/filter every season??-gctid825298

I have a Mercruiser 350 MPI 2011 Ciera 2855. In New Jersey I boat from middle of May to the end of October. During that time I put approx 35 hours on the engine.

I have always changed the oil/filter at the of every season. The oil is Mercruisers synthetic blend and when I drain it, it looks as good as when I put it it.

The prices isn't outrageous, around $60 for me to do it...just wondering if it is really necessary.

Thanks

Mike

It is not so much that the oil is dirty. It increases in acidity as you use it. When it sits for a long period of time ( over winter especially) that acidity can be hard on the internals. You might be able to get away without changing the oil every once in a while but for that low of a cost why chance it?
    2014 Double Eagle 176EXL. But we are not done with Bayliner yet…this is just to get us to and from our cottage in the Gulf Islands.

Comment

When I bought my 1997 boat in 2008 it only had 163 hours on it last year at 450 hours the main bearings were shot. I changed the oil every year since I owned the boat. I concluded the wear was due to two things not changing the oil because of the low useage and that when the engine was started they were dry starts (little oil on the bearings) from long periods of sitting.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

So would it be best to change it at the beginning or end of the season?

Comment

end of the season.
          Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
          Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
          93 3058 sold
          92 2855 (day boat)
          91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
          Longbranch WA
          Life is Good

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=825321 wrote:
            end of the season.
            Yup. You want her stored with nice fresh oil.
            "Martini's Law" SOLD
            1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
            Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

"diveguy" post=825332 wrote:
              "Ruffryder" post=825321 wrote:
              end of the season.
              Yup. You want her stored with nice fresh oil.
              Yes the end of the season to get ride of the acidic old oil.

Mike

Comment

would it be ok, at the end of season, to drain the oil and stop.

then, at start of season, put the new oil in ?
                Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

Comment

"aspen1880" post=825355 wrote:
                  would it be ok, at the end of season, to drain the oil and stop.

then, at start of season, put the new oil in ?
                  I don't see any issue with doing so but would make sure I marked the helm with a clear reminder. However I don't see any benefit in doing this. Also you would need to have fogged and addressed the cooling system since the engine cannot be ran.

Mike

Comment

Another thought I would prefer to fill with new oil in the fall and run the engine to displace any remaining oil on the bearing surfaces with new oil.

Mike

Comment

"Nauti Mike" post=825368 wrote:
                      Another thought I would prefer to fill with new oil in the fall and run the engine to displace any remaining oil on the bearing surfaces with new oil.
                      That's how I do it...easy & simple insurance.

Comment

"Woodbutcher" post=825387 wrote:
                        "Nauti Mike" post=825368 wrote:
                        That's how I do it...easy & simple insurance.
                        I agree but.....it's not insurance (or ensurance) against anything, and it likely makes no difference at all. It might provide peace of mind, but it does not provide insurance.

Comment

Working...
                        X