Outdrive-gctid399637

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdrive-gctid399637

I am wanting to pruchase a 1986 Bayliner capri 1950, with a volvo penta motor and outdrive. All I need is for someone to tell me what model the outdrive is as the tags are missing.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703325=29637-DSCF0001.JPG[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703325=29638-DSCF0002.JPG[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703325=29639-DSCF0003.JPG[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703325=29640-DSCF0004.JPG[/img]

I'm thinking a 280. Like this;

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...0-leg-For-Sale

James

Comment

My vote's on a 270.

Comment

It's definitely an AQ-series 2xx with a newer suspension fork. What'd they hit?

Comment

Defintely a double relief 280/285/275 transom shield, a later 280 or 275 transmission, and the lower unit is very likey a 290. (the 280 production model exhaust flapper is a bit different)

The suspension fork is not necessarily a replacement. The production drives often came with these decals, and if the boat has never been moored, sometimes these decals survive for many years. I've seen them survive many times.

Parts for this drive are not an issue, if that is your question.

Using the OEM engine model # and the 280 or 275 schematics will get most of what you need since there is such a vast array of interchangeability with these.

The transmissions, Intermediate housings, suspension forks, helmets are the same....., but the lower unit gear set changes between engines ( 4, 6 and 8 cylinders).

Drive bellows, exhaust bellows, re-seal kits, gaskets/O-rings, pivot tube bushing, hinge pin bushings, water neck, internally clipped bearing crosses, etc, are same between 270/280/285/275 and first gen 290 s/p drives.

For the engine, use the OEM engine model #.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

OK, that will get you most of what you need.

AQ225 (X) engine, 280/275 transmission and a 290 s/p lower unit in the 1.61:1 ratio.

Following AQ225 will be an Alpha character. You'll need to find out which one.

I can tell you for certain it will not be the AQ225B, nor any of the BB225's.

You can use this web site to identify parts via the model number and schematics.

For mechanical work related info, you'll want the OEM Volvo Penta work shop manual.

Question: what is it specifically that you are looking for?

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

the alpha character is "D" if I remember right.

I am just looking to have this outdrive identified so I know what it is

Comment

dhallwhite wrote:
                the alpha character is "D" if I remember right.

I am just looking to have this outdrive identified so I know what it is
                The "D" will get you what you need for the engine.

Like said, most any parts for the 275/280 transmission will cover you there.

As for the lower unit, it should be a 290 in the 1.61:1 ratio.

The drive may have come from the factory this way, or it may have been a replacement lower unit...... hard to say.

To check the ratio, pull the ring anode just ahead of the propeller. Wire brush the aft-most portion of the bearing carrier.

The ratio should be stamped into the carrier, and will be correct if no one has changed it and/or failed to re-mark the carrier.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                X