Hull crack or gel coat? Opinions welcomed-gctid824839

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hull crack or gel coat? Opinions welcomed-gctid824839

Hauled out the boat this morning, and found this crack. No experience with this sort of thing - thoughts/opinions on whether it's a gel coat thing or hull crack? No signs if water anywhere in the boat, and it's been sitting in the water since June.

Thanks!

Z.

Attached files

I'd check the transom reinforcement on the inside down very low. Also stand on the cavitation plate and bounce to see if the transom flexes.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Need more information. I have gelcoat that spooks like that but the wood is good how ever very easily could be a bad transom.

My crack looked like yours but this is what it was when I tugged on it. Delamination of the gelcoat and dry glass underneath. Yours looks auspicious

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

The only way I know of that will tell you for sure what is going on is to get out the grinder / sander and start taking it down a layer at a time

Greg
        Newport, Oregon
        South Beach Marina
        1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
        Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
        Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Got a litle better look at it with all the junk scrubbed off.

Comment

Working...
          X