Buffing the bottom....tips?-gctid822735

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffing the bottom....tips?-gctid822735

My boat has a definite scum line, most likely from the previous owner keeping it in the water for extended periods. They cleaned and waxed the top, but my OCD can't handle the yellowing. Today I got a buffer and some rubbing compound. I've been smearing it on with a cloth, letting dry for about a minute, then buffing off. It's taking 2-3 passes to come clean. What a pain to lay on the driveway. Any tips or ideas from anyone that does this? It's on my trailer obviously, wish I could suspend it from a hoist or something. Any better cleaners? It's turtle wax brand rubbing compound. Very long and tedious process, I'm assuming there's no better way. I can see the difference. When I'm done I'll give it a good wash and wax.

2001 Bayliner Capri 1950 CL

3M super duty compound, be careful it'll cut fast but does break down as you work it. Probably starts at around 1000 grit and ends up at around 1800 by the time your ready to wipe the haze off.

Attached files

Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

You guys are OCD.

Looks beautiful but I don't have that kind of time or patience.
      Esteban
      Huntington Beach, California
      2018 Element 16
      Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
      Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

"green650" post=822741 wrote:
        You guys are OCD.

Looks beautiful but I don't have that kind of time or patience.
        I've been using my boat as much as possible, I do currently have a bit of a scum line :lol:
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556

Misc. projects thread

Comment

Nice! I gotta get some. Wonder where I'd find that locally

Do you just squeeze it onto the buffing pad then? How much will I need to do the whole hull?

Comment

How'd you get your boat on that stand?

"builderdude" post=822738 wrote:
            3M super duty compound, be careful it'll cut fast but does break down as you work it. Probably starts at around 1000 grit and ends up at around 1800 by the time your ready to wipe the haze off.

[attachment]40575 wrote:
            image.jpeg[/attachment]

Comment

It's quite the job removing the trailer from beneath the boat, I'd say buff everything you can get to while it's on the trailer. I purchased the 3M super duty from Wesco auto body supply.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556

Misc. projects thread

Comment

Yellowing. Use a spray bottle (chemical resistant) and spray acme aluminium brighter A50. Do not dilute. Works like absolute magic in getting rid of the yellowing. Make sure you rinse with a lot of fresh water afterwards. No manual labour involved
                Bayliner 4387
                250 Hino's

Comment

The only way to get it done right is to come to AZ and do mine 1st for practice. I will supervise and provide frosty-cold adult beverages.B)
                  Jeff & Tara
                  (And Ginger too)
                  Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                  "GetAway"
                  Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Just spray toilet bowl cleaner on the hull.....I use the cheap stuff "The Works" from anywhere....about $1/bottle. Whatever you don't use in the hull you can use in your home! Anyway, you are wasting your time and putting a hurting on yourself in the process.....just spray the toilet bowl cleaner on with a spray bottle from the dollar store. Let it sit a few mins then rinse....repeat if necessary....be sure to wet your trailer and or drive way FIRST it is a very mild acid and it will discolor both.....(don't ask how I know),,,,

Your hull will be clean and ready to buff/polish/wax it you want within 10 mins....
                    Lake Hartwell, GA
                    2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                    1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                    1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
                    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
                    1996 SeaDoo GTX
                    1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

Come on, really? It can't be that easy....or can it?

"RobMick" post=822791 wrote:
                      Just spray toilet bowl cleaner on the hull.....I use the cheap stuff "The Works" from anywhere....about $1/bottle. Whatever you don't use in the hull you can use in your home! Anyway, you are wasting your time and putting a hurting on yourself in the process.....just spray the toilet bowl cleaner on with a spray bottle from the dollar store. Let it sit a few mins then rinse....repeat if necessary....be sure to wet your trailer and or drive way FIRST it is a very mild acid and it will discolor both.....(don't ask how I know),,,,

Your hull will be clean and ready to buff/polish/wax it you want within 10 mins....

Comment

Bwahahahahaha but that could be a good deal. Never been to AZ!

"Jeffw" post=822788 wrote:
                        The only way to get it done right is to come to AZ and do mine 1st for practice. I will supervise and provide frosty-cold adult beverages.B)

Comment

"Doubled50" post=822795 wrote:
                          Come on, really? It can't be that easy....or can it?

"RobMick" post=822791 wrote:

It can and is that easy. No need to kill yourself with abrasives when you have chemicals to do it for you. I used to use MaryKate On/Off, but that too is strong stuff (Oxalic Acid I believe) that will eat the galvanizing right off your trailer, not to mention what it will do to you your skin or eyes. I have never used toilet bowl cleaner but have heard good things.

Comment

It's that easy.....try it. What do you have to lose....$1.00 and 10 mins?
                            Lake Hartwell, GA
                            2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                            1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                            1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
                            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
                            1996 SeaDoo GTX
                            1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

"Jeffw" post=822788 wrote:
                              HeHeHe send em to NC next. Mines so bad I'm gonna scuff and roll it blue again and bring the white on down to the "chine"??? ( Last vertical before turning under?
                              Dave
                              Restoring/ upgrading: 1990 Ciera Sunbridge 2655 ST, "One Particular Harbour"
                              5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1 (my floating retirement villa if it doesn't kill me first)
                              Sold:
                              1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
                              Mariner 150
                              Towing with:
                              2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
                              Near High Rock Lake, N.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X