Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trophy 2002F is not easy to get back on the trailer-gctid399355

Hi everyone

My 1999 Trohpy 2002f is very difficult to get back on the trailer without getting wet. I launch in the ocean under windy an fast current conditions. I find that the bow cleat for the winch line is so far down under the pulpit that I can't reach it without backing the trailer so far into the water that i'm standing in water on the trailer tongue to hook the winch line to the boat.

Is there abetter way?

My better way is to use my son to winch the boat on the trailer (I also use him to release on launch). That way he gets wet, and I don't! Seriously though, no, I havent found any way to avoid someone getting wet. But that's what towels are for.
    Larry Purcell
    1999 2452 Classic
    Merc 5.0L, Alpha 1 Gen 2
    San Diego, CA

Comment

x2. Unless you have a very steep ramp, someone has to get wet. Under the conditions that you mention, I usually have both my kids in the water, one on each side to hold the boat parallel to the trailer, and I'm also wet on the winch. There are ramps where you can drive almost right on, but someone still has to fasten the bow eye.
      Bob Hawes.
      Kelowna, B.C.
      1998 Trophy 2052 WA
      4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Have you considered making a short lead with a clip hook on it? It could be attached to the bow eye and then attached to your trailer cable. Use it to temporarily get the bow up enough where you could reattach the trailer cable to your bow eye.

Ken

pugetsoundog (woof)

Comment

I dont get wet with mine. your probably backing your trailer too far in the water. I did that and couldnt get it straight on the trailer. Now I just get the bottom 1/4 to almost half submerged, drive on, hop off the bow onto the trailer and grab and winch it up.

Comment

Get one of these. Put it on a long pole. Or make one yourself like i did, cost me nothing cause i used a old painters extend pole, and i use the hook on my wench.

http://www.greenboatstuff.com/dacobrgbo.html
            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Resqme49 wrote:
              I dont get wet with mine. your probably backing your trailer too far in the water. I did that and couldnt get it straight on the trailer. Now I just get the bottom 1/4 to almost half submerged, drive on, hop off the bow onto the trailer and grab and winch it up.
              When I try to drive it on, the rubber bow stop hits the boat high up on the bow and then slides down the boat to the bow cleat leaving black smudge marks down the bow. I am guessing from what you are saying, if I keep a good portion of the trailer out of the water, when the boat rides up on the bunks the bow cleat will not be far from the rubber bow stop and will avoid most of the marks on the bow.

Also my boat does not slide easily on the bunks making it very hard to winch the boat up. I was thinking of installing those bunk slicks. Has anyone use them and what is your experience with them?

Thanks for all your replies, they are very much appreciated.

Comment

Plus it is cheap and it uses your existing cable or strap hook....http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...g&merchID=4005

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703230=29633-35866_L1.jpg[/img]
                Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

Alaskanmutt wrote:
                  Plus it is cheap and it uses your existing cable or strap hook....http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...g&merchID=4005

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
                  Man.... you are my best buddy today!! You helped me out on the fish box issue on the fishing board and now here you are again with another great idea. I have ordered it. Thanks.What else got? lolRegards, Russ

Comment

I only dunk the trailer to the point where the aft ends of the trailer rails are wet. Position the trailer as close to the dock as possible. I step on the fender, grab the wench-hook and attach it to the bow eye. Pull on the cord to the electric wench and let the wench do all the work to pull the boat onto the trailer. I have a 2052 Trophy. Feet are always dry and the boat is always centered on the trailer.

Comment

myflies wrote:
                      I only dunk the trailer to the point where the aft ends of the trailer rails are wet. Position the trailer as close to the dock as possible. I step on the fender, grab the wench-hook and attach it to the bow eye. Pull on the cord to the electric wench and let the wench do all the work to pull the boat onto the trailer. I have a 2052 Trophy. Feet are always dry and the boat is always centered on the trailer.
                      Yep, if you haven't done so already, experiment with various ways of loading, you may find something that works better. I have no experience with the Trophy's, are they hard to winch? I usually put my trailer barely in the water, just far enough so the top of the tire fenders are above the water surface and I winch the rest of the way. However my boat weighs about 1200 lbs

Must...Go...Off...Topic... (sorry)

Makes me think about how watching people load (or rather try to) their boat at the ramp and have all kinds of difficulty

Comment

It isn't that they are hard to load, just that the bow eye seems to be lower on the hull, plus the bow hangs over more
                        Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

alaskanmutt wrote:
                          it isn't that they are hard to load, just that the bow eye seems to be lower on the hull, plus the bow hangs over more
                          exactly!

Comment

my 99 2002 is the same, i was in up to my knees this weekend. pull with the rope until it stops and walk out with the hook. comes out straight as can be everytime but sucks when you forget your sandals....

Comment

My previous trailer had carpeted bunks. Sprayed silicon on them 3x or 4x/year and it was almost like the triler had rollers. No problem winching the boat onto the trailer.

Comment

Working...
                              X