New member, New Cobra 2250 Intro-gctid399130

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member, New Cobra 2250 Intro-gctid399130

Hello from a new member here! I'm about as land-locked as you can get. Just a stones throw distance from the geographical center of North America, but still a water lover.

I recently purchased an excellent condition custom 1987 Bayliner Cobra 2250. I am very anxious for this boat as I don't take delivery until this weekend. I turned here for some information and research, and am finding that the big Cobras are seemingly rare. Seems to me, probably more rare being this far inland. Below are a couple of the photos I based my purchase on. Custom paint(gunmetal flake and purple), custom upholstery, bored chevy 350, excellent condition.

Just stopping in to say hello. I presume more questions to come after I get my mitts on this beauty this weekend!

I have a few of the interior, but the are bad photos and my cell phone is not cooperating right now to upload. Inside is white and purple vinyl to match with a custom cover and color matched bouy/bumpers. Will get more better photos when I can take the pictures myself.

Anyone know how many big cobras were made over the couple years they were made?

EDIT: Got my phone to cooperate, but again they are not very good photos...

Welcome to the forums! Good looking boat have fun with it.

Comment

The 2250s are not necessarily rare, but not a lot of awareness on these forums. There are two for sale locally right now

Here is another brand new member with a 2250.

Yours looks great, you should have a ton of fun with it. Download_Complete and I looked at a 2250... they are very cool boats and IMO one of the gems of that timeframe, though I did not agree with all of their color choices.

Comment

Thanks guys! I agree that information is sparse! I am VERY familiar with the vastness of info on internet forums and I have done some searching on a few boating forums and came up fairly empty handed. Thinking that is either good and these never break down and need repair, or bad that they all went to hell early and there are not many left! HA

Is there a resident vintage Bayliner or Cobra guru on here? I have contacted Bayliner Corporate to see if I can get some more info as well.

Comment

Someone wanted a Bayliner guru?

Loosely based on the 2150 Capri/Ciera/Trophy hull, but with a lower profile and a 350. SHould be a 55 mph boat, which on a Sequential Lift Hull will be plenty exciting. They are like all Bayliners - good boats. Not great boats, but good boats. They are commonly owned by newbs, so not well cared for, which means they go to hell. Added to that, the Cobra was a performance series, and not well understood by Bayliner buyers.

Think of it as the Ford Taurus SHO of boats, and you won't be far off.

Someone totally repowered your boat with an older early 1980s Mercruiser drive. Not sure I am okay with that.
          Matt Train
          BOC Site Team
          Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Great Info! That is very possible. From what I'm told, this boat was repainted, re-upholstered, and rebuilt by the owner previous to this seller. He owned a Hot Rod shop and that was where all the work was done. I do not believe the motor to be original either. The motor is a built Chevy 350 w/ 4bbl holley (thinking 600 cfm), so the lower unit could be replaced when the motor was. Motor seems a bit dirty in the photo, but looks solid.

Here is all I have of the motor and lower unit.

Comment

I see dry joint stainless (or aluminum) manifolds and risers $$$
              " WET EVER "
              1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
              mmsi 338108404
              mmsi 338124956
              "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

dktool wrote:
                I see dry joint stainless (or aluminum) manifolds and risers $$$
                $$$ as in they are expensive to buy or $$$ as in they are expensive install and maintain?

When the boat was completely rebuilt (by the Hot Rod builder owner previous to the current seller), it had headers that went straight out the back of the boat. The current seller kept getting noise tickets for it so he said he spend $4800 to have the exhaust re-routed back through the lower unit.

Comment

Good looking boat.

On the outdrive. It is rated for a max of 300HP. I'm guessing the motor is close to that if not more. Just don't firewall it and you should be fine. Merc actually mated the 7.4 to Alpha's for awhile.
                  Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                  1998 3055 Ciera
                  (yes, a 1998)
                  Previous boat: 1993 3055
                  Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                  Sea Doo XP
                  Sea Doo GTI SE
                  Life is short. Boats are cool.
                  The family that plays together stays together.
                  Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Yep, he swapped the whole damn thing, down to the fiberglass. You used to have an OMC Cobra in there.

Hey, if it works, then so be it. Only concern I have is all that cool stuff in the engine is marine rated. If he just threw automotive parts in there (Ignition, carb, etc), then its not very safe.

Can you contact the person responsible for that engine work and ensure that all marine parts were used?

And he did rebuild/repaint it. Here's what it looked like in 1987:

Matt Train
                    BOC Site Team
                    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I can certainly ask if he has the previous owners info. The guy says it runs and drives like new. Will turn about 4200 rpm (too low, IMO) with a 21pitch stainless prop and will run 6000 or just a bit over(a bit too much, IMO) with a 19 pitch prop. Both props come with it. He acknowledged that 6k was too many RPMs and noted that he does not run it that high, but runs the 19 pitch prop because it is better hole shot than the 21 pitch.

He noted that some of the exhaust components were robbed from a Fountain power boat. maybe why the seem out of place in the engine bay.

I am headed to get it this weekend and the seller has absolutely no problem putting it in the water to test drive, so that makes me feel more secure in the decision as well!

Comment

itsabowtime2 wrote:
                        Good looking boat.

On the outdrive. It is rated for a max of 300HP. I'm guessing the motor is close to that if not more. Just don't firewall it and you should be fine. Merc actually mated the 7.4 to Alpha's for awhile.
                        Is that even an Alpha? It looks like the pre-Alpha drive... 888?

Seems like an unusual drive to install.

Comment

Is that even an Alpha? It looks like the pre-Alpha drive... 888?
                          Yeap, that's a pre- M/R/Alpha, pre-load pin type late 888 drive.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....JPG[/img]Alpha on left, 888 on right.I think the last year model of that was 1982 ??Who knows what lurks inside the engine.
                          " WET EVER "
                          1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
                          mmsi 338108404
                          mmsi 338124956
                          "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

Whats the difference/downfall of that 888 drive? Looks like a more stout unit in the above photos. Marinas and marine parts are not real easy to come by out here, so my guess is that it is what was available at time of the rebuild.

I like the comment earlier... "Hey, if it works, so be it" haha

Thanks again for all the info guys! Just to close some curiosities, I will be certain to get more/better photos and information when I get the boat in front on me.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, you have a nice looking boat there.

However you need to make sure of what was used in the rebuild for a number of reasons. Only one of which would be the starter and alternator. If they are not marine grade you could be letting loose stray sparks in the engine compartment. Mix in some gas fumes and you get a potential for explosion.

Unlike a car where all the fumes fall out the bottom, in a boat all those explosive fumes are trapped in your bilge waiting for an ignition source. :thumb

Just trying to help keep you off the front page

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X