Stray Voltage on the docks-gctid820494

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stray Voltage on the docks-gctid820494

We have just completed a stray voltage test of our docks. My boat came out 100% but we located 4 problem areas where stray voltage was going to our emergency dock ladders.

The adjacent boats were turned off one at a time to locate the problem boat. I highly recommend that you ask your marina to do this test for the safety of all.

Several years ago there was a boat almost sank when his thru hulls disintegrated. The source was determined to be an aluminum hulled boat nearby with owner rewiring.

"Adios Dinero"
    1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
    Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Are you in saltwater or freshwater?

I know this is a big problem in freshwater as that is where quite a few deaths have occurred.

Not sure about saltwater.
    Esteban
    Huntington Beach, California
    2018 Element 16
    Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
    Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

We are in fresh water here
      "Adios Dinero"
      1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
      Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

Green650, Hate to sound like the prophet of doom, but, at least in the US, the newer abyc rules for acceptable "leakage" are hitting. Most boaters are going to do some really hard to identify cleanup of their systems. The last round was probably 20 years ago when the GFI's hit the docks. There were a lot of marinas that took a big hit due to lack of advance information and their subsequent attitude toward boaters that suddenly couldn't hook up. They seem to forget that our money is somewhat portable. Treat me badly and I'll hurry right on back. History is repeating itself and the Marine electricians are trying to get knowledgeable.

I had a very encouraging conversation with a marine electrician who will be finishing what I don't have the meters for once I get so I'm cleared to get back on the boat. Major back surgery plus eight weeks is October before I start. He described as more than an oil change but that I probably won't have to remortgage the house. Very likely no requirement for thousand dollar transformers or even on board 30mA circuit breakers.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

My boat is in salt water, but everything at my marina is still checked yearly for free. A local community college professor brings his marine electrical systems students to the marina and has them check every slip.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Norton, I believe every marina should be all over stray current. Our last boat was at the Port of Everett for over 25 years of our ownership. Its brackish water ther so I was much more concerned about leakage. It would be interesting to see how the various boats read and what happens under various conditions, like a different boat in that slip. Diligence is going to continue to be the key. The new power outlets just have a hair trigger.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
            X