Pulling my boat out for a good washing.-gctid399087

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling my boat out for a good washing.-gctid399087

This is the first I've rented a slip, I'm going away for a few weeks so I thought this would be a good time to pull the boat out and wash her up.

I've heard on here to use toilet bowl cleaner to get the scum off. Do I apply it directly to the boat or mix it with some water? Can I use muriatic acid or will it eat away at the gel coat?

I want to wax her but do I use regular automotive wax? And do I apply it under the water line of the hull?

I'm going to grease the out drive, is there any other general maintenance I should do while it's out of the water?

Spray it down with some TB cleaner and let it set for half hr. then go after it with a HP washer, it peels right off.

Comment

Marykate onoff works great. http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/?s=MK2032 Then wax with a quality wax. Not automotive. Try the Shurhold products called Yachtbrite Pro Polish. www.shurhold.com. Awesome.

Comment

tank1023 wrote:
        This is the first I've rented a slip, I'm going away for a few weeks so I thought this would be a good time to pull the boat out and wash her up.

I've heard on here to use toilet bowl cleaner to get the scum off. Do I apply it directly to the boat or mix it with some water? Can I use muriatic acid or will it eat away at the gel coat?

I want to wax her but do I use regular automotive wax? And do I apply it under the water line of the hull?

I'm going to grease the out drive, is there any other general maintenance I should do while it's out of the water?
        Muriatic acid works great. No elbow grease needed. I kept the hull of my 99 3055 clean with the stuff for 12 years. I utilized a bug sprayer. I would spray on wait 10 seconds or so then rinse off. Stains were gone.
        Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
        West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Comment

I'm a member of the toilet-bowl cleaner club. Use "The Works" every September when I haul her out for the season. By then the stain is deep brown and 1/8" thick. I squirt The Works directly onto whatever is stained, and it literally erases it in a matter of minutes, rarely needing elbow grease (but I always have a brush handy, just in case). Rinse, dry, wax, good as new.

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Comment

The works is CHEAP too VS named Marine products.

Comment

Saintjon wrote:
                The works is CHEAP too VS named Marine products.
                Does the Work's have a more specific name ??

Comment

3 wide wrote:
                  Does the Work's have a more specific name ??
                  The Works is a brand name of toilet bowl cleaner.

It's hydrochloric acid in water, basically.

Comment

ishiboo wrote:
                    The Works is a brand name of toilet bowl cleaner.

It's hydrochloric acid in water, basically.
                    Oh, thanks !! Have to try it for touch ups during season.

Comment

Working...
                    X