Old Gasoline Filtering and Tank Cleaning-gctid399058

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Gasoline Filtering and Tank Cleaning-gctid399058

There is a service offered in my area of North Carolina to polish diesel fuel and filter old gasoline in the tank. He comes to the dock to do this. I'm a relatively new owner of a 1991 2556 and I'll bet some of the gas in my tank is years old. Does anyone think this service is a good idea?

Hard to say without more information. "Years old" is an insufficient measurement. How much gas are you talking about? Five gallons - eighty gallons? How much potentially bad fuel is in the tank(s)? If it is under half a tank you can probably fill it with fresh gas, preferably 91 octane for this one time use, and go. I have repeatedly pulled old gas (up to two years old) from boats and burned it in my 97 F-150. If it is so old as to be beyond hope or you simply don't wish to take the chance with your engine; then the service price is worth it to you. Keep in mind that even with professional fuel treatment/removal, you probably have varnish in your carburetor. That is a separate issue.

Safe and Happy Boating!

ColonyCove

Comment

I don't think diesel goes bad, other than absorbing moisture in the tank due to condensation from expansion/contraction. Maybe his diesel "polishing" service is just filtering out the water. Gas on the other hand, does go bad. If you really don't trust it or know it's condition, remove it and use it in a lawnmower or a little bit at a time mixed in with good fuel in a non sensitive engine (V8 engine with carb).

Comment

I agree that diesel is a more durable fuel, but I believe that 2556 is a gasser.

Safe and Happy Boating!

ColonyCove

Comment

Working...
        X