Handling 28(39) boat-gctid819955

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handling 28(39) boat-gctid819955

Well, my nephew has his late fathers 28' boat but he hasn't taken it out on the water yet. It is licensed and insured, both engines running good. He asked me if I would captain it next week so we can give it a sea trial. I am cool with that but it is a larger boat than I am used to. My question is about what to expect as regards slow speed handling around the dock. Backing it out of the slip and turning it using the engines at low speed of course. It doesn't have bow thrusters or anything like that. I know enough to use one in reverse with the other forward to position it as I want it, just not sure what to expect from it. It is a 77 Carver 28' with twin Ford 302 inboards.
    1988 Capri Cuddy 1950 OMC 5.7

If you're not skilled at maneuvering twins with forward and reverse on the drives, best to get it in open water to practice using the steering wheel and the skills you have now. If you do use "the sticks," don't use the wheel or the throttles. And as always, never go faster than you're willing to hit the dock!B)
    Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    |
    Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
    2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
    2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
    2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
    2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
    And 12 others...
    In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

"Jeffw" post=819958 wrote:
      never go faster than you're willing to hit the dock!B)
      +1 and I'd add: have extra hands on deck at the ready to "fend off" in the event the wind, current, or other possible unknown sends you in an alternate direction, as into another vessel.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Are there any of those "I'll teach you hour to operate your boat." Schools around? It would probably be money well spend. He should also take along whomever is generally going to use the boat with him. Kids under ten maybe not so much. Unless there's a large physical issue, like he's in a wheelchair, with practice he should be able to single hand a good deal of the time.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

My issue is that I am just uncertain how the boat will handle at low speed, in reverse. I know the rudders are of no use and it is natural to try to turn the wheel to steer. Using the sticks is the only way to control it. I think my question is, is it best to use both screws when backing out of the slip or will just one screw be best to keep the boat moving slowly? Will single screw cause it to yaw a little? Will two screws be too much reverse speed? I suppose it won't really make much difference and I am probably asking about something that isn't that big of an issue. I plan on getting out into open water and testing how it handles with the sticks for docking when we go back.

Comment

The inboards are fairly predictable in reverse. Your first time out,just bump the boat in reverse, one engine only and watchwhich way the hull walks. If the stern moves away from the dock, give it a little longer bump. Correct the boat to dock as needed by giving the other engine a bump, but just a bump. It takes a while for the the prop action to fully complete work on the hull. Go over to an empty dock you can line with fenders and practice. The fancy looking high powered spinning is, for me, usually when I've gotten myself into a place I'm not comfortable with. I try my best to use a bump at idle method of docking or undocking.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

Thanks Pcpete, that's the kind of info I am looking for. I will try to remember to do it that way.

Comment

I might also chime in here to remind you that the props turn in opposite direction. So the handling in reverse will be different, depending on which engine you play with.

You might experiment with the dock approach as I have seen many skippers do. Slowly head towards the dock at an angle, put both engines in neutral, then back down to stop your forward momentum with just one engine. The boat will walk one way or the other depending on the thrust of rotation of the propeller. Once you know which engine causes it to walk towards the dock you can then get a little action from the wheel. The water being pushed forward by the prop will flow past the rudder and help the boat move a bit. The question is which way to throw the wheel. A couple experiments in this area and you will nuzzle the boat to the dock like a pro.

Happy boating

Comment

Yes..... listen to Jeff in post #2.

Get the boat out of the marina and into the water.

Once out there, you can practice maneuvering (as though you are in the marina) with the twin engine aspect of control.

You'll quickly learn that by using FWD/REV you will be able to turn on a dime.

The wind will most likely be your worst enemy at/near the dock.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks for all the good comments. My nephew and his wife will be here this evening, spending the night with us and we plan on taking the boat out tomorrow morning. I feel much better prepared after reading all your suggestions, if I can just remember them when I need the help.

Comment

Docking 101

1. (Already stated) Never go into a dock any faster than you are willing to hit it.

2. Always turn the wheel in the direction you want the boat to go before you put it in gear.

3. Until you understand your boat, put lots of lines out on all sides; better to have them out and not need them, than to need them and they are unavailable.

4. Dock cleats are stronger than someone's arms or their legs. Tell your line handlers to slip the mooring lines under a dock cleat to stop the boat.

5. Call for assistance, be it the harbormaster or someone ...anyone ....walking along the dock. Most people are happy to assist.
                      "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                      MMSI: 367637220
                      HAM: KE7TTR
                      TDI tech diver
                      BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                      Kevin

Comment

Great idea, and great phrase Jeff!
                        Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
                        New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
                        GO HAWKS!

Comment

Wish I could take credit, but I heard it here first, thanks to Sea Puppy, May he RIP...
                          Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
                          Lake Havasu City, AZ
                          |
                          Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
                          2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
                          2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
                          2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
                          2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
                          And 12 others...
                          In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

Working...
                          X