What performance change can I expect?-gctid398805

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What performance change can I expect?-gctid398805

Just purchased a new outdrive for my 1993 5.0 LX 2655. Couldn't get a 1.50 ratio (as was on the boat previously) as they are supposedly on special order so I bought the 1.62 that the shop had in stock. The technician at the shop said there would be very little if any noticeable difference in speed and overall performance; he said at most I may need to change my prop. Anyone here have any similar experience or knowledge about this? Is the shop being truthful to me or do they just give me a sales pitch? Thanks.

What drive?

Comment

I would use what Mercury Marine recommends.

Perhaps see if there is a web site that allows you to plug in numbers and determine engine/drive components.

Just curious... what did the drive cost you?

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

The leg is a Mercruiser; it cost $1900 plus tax . An excellent price I think.

Comment

Going from the 1.47 (1.50) to the 1.62 will not be that noticeable.

You may need to up your prop pitch a little, but that depends on your WOT rpm's.

Install it and check your WOT rpm's - adjust pitch if needed.

Also as a side note, sometimes the 1.62 actually works a little better on marginal power 5.0 or 5.7 engines.

Comment

1.62 is a better ratio for the 5.0 in that boat anyways. You could run 1.84 and it would be OK. It would give you more prop options. I'm betting you probably run a 15 pitch with the 1.50. to get it to plane. 17 tops.

Comment

Jeff H wrote:
              Going from the 1.47 (1.50) to the 1.62 will not be that noticeable.

You may need to up your prop pitch a little, but that depends on your WOT rpm's.

Install it and check your WOT rpm's - adjust pitch if needed.

Also as a side note, sometimes the 1.62 actually works a little better on marginal power 5.0 or 5.7 engines.
              Marine Engine and Propulsion rule #101: There is no substitute for a correct ratio for the engine HP and Torque rating.

We can try props all day long, and never get things to work correctly and efficiently.

However, given that this is a 2655 w/ the 5.0L, I would agree with Jeff......, I do think that you'll be OK.
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

It sounds to me like he already owns the new 1.62:1 outdrive. If that's true, shouldn't any discussion from this point on should be directed to making it work for him?

Comment

Yep, that's why I posted; However, given that this is a 2655 w/ the 5.0L, I would agree with Jeff......, I do think that you'll be OK.
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thunder wrote:
                    1.62 is a better ratio for the 5.0 in that boat anyways. You could run 1.84 and it would be OK. It would give you more prop options. I'm betting you probably run a 15 pitch with the 1.50. to get it to plane. 17 tops.
                    Yes I ran a 17 pitch with the 1.50. I will be trying the boat out on the weekend with the same prop. I will see how it goes with wot and re-pitch if necessary.

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
                      It sounds to me like he already owns the new 1.62:1 outdrive. If that's true, shouldn't any discussion from this point on should be directed to making it work for him?
                      Yes I do have the 1.62 and it is installed. Will try it this weekend. Thanks for your replies. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Comment

I took the boat out for a 6 hour trip on the weekend. It performed well on the new 1.62 ratio leg. I did notice it gained 200 or so rpm on and the engine can now push the prop past redline. I used the 15 x 17p prop I had on the 1.50 ratio outdrive so I will change it out to a 15 x 19. I think it will make things right.

Comment

Working...
                        X