X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Placement on Trailer-gctid817431

Good Day All!

I have a capri 1700 LS (1986)

New to boating and learning a lot. Like today learned you can't start the motor while it is in gear - used half an hour with screaming family in the background for that one. At least nothing was broken.

So I am having the most difficult time getting the boat to trailer correctly. I was wondering how high the bow stop (with the crank) should be, and where it should make contact with the boat. I see there is a way to raise or lower the bow stop any idea what number it should be at for my boat?

Also, how much boat shout go over the edge of the bunks in the back. Boat just seems to sit funny, and it is nearly impossible to crank it to the bow stop.

The biggest problem is getting the boat to go on the trailer straight. No matter how hard I try, it is a struggle to get it to sit even between the bunks. Usually, it sits off enough so the boat is sitting on one of the bumps on its hull. (Sequential lift hull) I've been playing with how far in I back in I go to see if that helps. Today, I went in so the fenders were mostly submerged and could barely crank it up. (Thus my question about the bow stop) Suggestions? Am I going too deep? How should the boat sit when properly trailered?

Boat should rest against the bow stop firmly.

Zero inches of the transom souls extend beyond the bunks, the bunks should stick out beyond the transom at least a couple inches.

Trailer depth can vary due to ramp angle, but usually the trailer fenders will be completely submerged before the boat will slide off. As for centering the boat on the trailer you can get some guid poles mounted to the trailer to help out there or just watch others load and practice, soon you'll be a pro.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

[quote]"jnovak74" post=817431 wrote:
      Good Day All!

Welcome!

I have a capri 1700 LS (1986)

New to boating and learning a lot. Like today learned you can't start the motor while it is in gear - used half an hour with screaming family in the background for that one. At least nothing was broken.

[color]orange wrote:
      Those " learned by doing instead if reading about" flubs normally won't happen but once LOL

[color]black wrote:
      So I am having the most difficult time getting the boat to trailer correctly. I was wondering how high the bow stop (with the crank) should be, and where it should make contact with the boat. I see there is a way to raise or lower the bow stop any idea what number it should be at for my boat?

[/color]

[color]orange wrote:
      With my 21 ft center console, the Bow loop came to rest almost dead even with the height of the winch spool and more or less evenly spaced between the upper and lower stop bumpers. The stops should always be in contact with the hull. That's your first line of protection to prevent damage, keep trailer/ boat balanced, stable and make sure it stops at the same time everything else does. Get any numbers from the trailer and verify it IS the one specified for your boat. Looks can be deceiving.

[/color]

[color]black wrote:
      Also, how much boat shout go over the edge of the bunks in the back. Boat just seems to sit funny, and it is nearly impossible to crank it to the bow stop.

[/color]

[color]orange wrote:
      My c/c had rollers but I still had to "learn" to back down further to get the boat all the way against the stops, WHICH by default let the stern "drift" a bit, causing it to be slightly crooked and listing a bit. A round of backing down till she began to float and back out usually corrected that and all left was to strap the stern down and pull the plug.. Those bunks create a lot of resistance. Better to back further down than risk snapping a strap dragging the boat any farther across then then you have to. It seemed to always end up just me, doing single person launch/ recovery ops so I learned quickly the best combination that cut time holding the ramp and kept me from running up, down and all over the ramp[/color]

[color]black wrote:
      The biggest problem is getting the boat to go on the trailer straight. No matter how hard I try, it is a struggle to get it to sit even between the bunks. Usually, it sits off enough so the boat is sitting on one of the bumps on its hull. (Sequential lift hull) I've been playing with how far in I back in I go to see if that helps. Today, I went in so the fenders were mostly submerged and could barely crank it up. (Thus my question about the bow stop) Suggestions? Am I going too deep? How should the boat sit when properly trailered[/color]?

[color]orange wrote:
      "......let the stern "drift" a bit, causing it to be slightly crooked and listing a bit. A round of backing down till she began to float and back out usually corrected that and all left was to strap the stern down.....". I'm still relatively new at it myself

The boat should be in complete contact with the bow stops and the bunks (less the overhang) and centered and leveled as much as it will. That will in turn improve overall trailer ability ( handling, wear on trailer and tow vehicle, breaking and safety). I've seen purchased as well as home built "alignment" bars that bolt to the bunk or trailer frame ( fairly strong "arms" usually covered with a length if PVC pipe ( to act as a "roller) t5hat you adjust inward so that as you winch the boat aboard =, the stern will align itself between the uprights every time. My 2655 has long bunks and it too looks like it hangs over too much but it handled well on the trip home from where I bought her but once restoration is complete It'll be time for trial and error to learn the finer points of bunk trailering. As with the c/c (my first ever boat and exposure to them) the first few times "learning" different, much larger boat launch and recovery "best for me" techniques, I'll figure out typical "peak" times for in and out and adjust/ stagger mine to avoid delaying too many other boaters. I swear some are very quick to forget THEY were once in our shoes (or flops) but they're are some that are quick to lend a hand as well. I try to "pay that forward" whenever possible and accepted.

[/color]

Hope some of this might help,

Dave
      Dave
      Restoring/ upgrading: 1990 Ciera Sunbridge 2655 ST, "One Particular Harbour"
      5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1 (my floating retirement villa if it doesn't kill me first)
      Sold:
      1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
      Mariner 150
      Towing with:
      2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
      Near High Rock Lake, N.C.

Comment

So how tight against the bow stop should it be? Should the ring from the bow of the boat (what you hook to) come in contact with the bow stop (really a set of wheels). If it does, the way things are set now the last several pulls lift the bow up, not horizontal. Is that right?

Comment

"jnovak74" post=817534 wrote:
          So how tight against the bow stop should it be? Should the ring from the bow of the boat (what you hook to) come in contact with the bow stop (really a set of wheels). If it does, the way things are set now the last several pulls lift the bow up, not horizontal. Is that right?
          You may need to lower the elevation of the winch assembly just a bit, it really shouldn't lift the bow up vertically but the bow should be fairly tight against the bow roller(s) After I load up I'll hit the brakes abruptly and go back and tighten up on the winch and transom straps.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
          X