4087 Bad Season for Repairs!-gctid398696

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4087 Bad Season for Repairs!-gctid398696

We live on our 1996 4087 for 3+ months every year cruising around the San Juan and Gulf Islands. This year we are having more than our fair share of issue.

New lift pumps on both engines, diaphragm started to leak on one, so had both replaced, think they were original.

New fresh water pump, 2000 vintage.

New fwd sump pump, motor seized.

Water heater thermostat failed (under warranty had complete new tank last year)

I do preventive maintenance every year, oil, filters, check hoses belts, regularly top up batteries, impellers every other year etc.

Am I asking too much for a Bayliner to do a 100 days plus back to back every year, or should I beef up my preventive maintenance?

Can others please add to the list so I can avoid these inconvenient repairs. What else is likely to go wrong and how can I prevent it!!

We even looked at trading her in on another brand, but nothing offers us the space and value. We love the fore and aft stateroom, the cave for the grand kids, plus the sun deck et al.

Preventative maintenance suggestions welcome.

Tx Machog
    1996 4087 Lazy Days
    2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
    2011 Porsche Cayman
    2010 Lexus IS 250C
    2008 Honda Ridgeline

FWIW - I can assure you that those engines and pumps do not know that they are in a Bayliner.

What engines do you have in your 1996 - Cummins or Hino's? (could be either in that year)
    Northport NY

Comment

Machog wrote:
      We live on our 1996 4087 for 3+ months every year cruising around the San Juan and Gulf Islands. This year we are having more than our fair share of issue.

New lift pumps on both engines, diaphragm started to leak on one, so had both replaced, think they were original.

New fresh water pump, 2000 vintage.

New fwd sump pump, motor seized.

Water heater thermostat failed (under warranty had complete new tank last year)

I do preventive maintenance every year, oil, filters, check hoses belts, regularly top up batteries, impellers every other year etc.

Am I asking too much for a Bayliner to do a 100 days plus back to back every year, or should I beef up my preventive maintenance?

Can others please add to the list so I can avoid these inconvenient repairs. What else is likely to go wrong and how can I prevent it!!

We even looked at trading her in on another brand, but nothing offers us the space and value. We love the fore and aft stateroom, the cave for the grand kids, plus the sun deck et al.

Preventative maintenance suggestions welcome.

Tx Machog
      Looks pretty minor, all of those things are mostly items which there is not much in terms of preventive maintenance you can do, assuming things were winterized correctly (thermostat and fresh water pump). The fresh water pump may or may not have been rebuildable with a kit, but it's not worth having around now as you should see at least a decade of service from it.

Lift pumps could be due to fuel filter restriction, do you have large Racors and maintain them? Do you have a vacuum gauge on them?

Comment

One thing that comes to mind are the injectors. Rebuilding them runs about $30 per injector, so $480 per engine every 1000 hours or so would be a good preventative measure. Labor of course, can vary depending on how easy your injectors are to access. You'll notice better performance in general -- better fuel efficiency, less smoke, smoother runs at lower RPM's, and a quieter engine in general.

Comment

Working...
        X