2556 aluminum widow frames, paint or vinyl wrap?-gctid817086

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2556 aluminum widow frames, paint or vinyl wrap?-gctid817086

One thing i don't like on my 1990 2556 is the black colored aluminum widow frames( in and out). Would much rather have them aluminium or stainless style. The black paint is perhaps little faded outside, but otherwise in good condition. So my issue is purely cosmetic.

Any one done a paint job on these, or other solution? Was thinking, regarding the inside, would a 3M vinyl wrap b an workable option? No idea how hard it would be compared to painting?
    Bayliner 2556 1990 project

The same oxidation that's causing your paint issues will plague your vinyl just as bad (maybe worse). They can be painted and if you prep them properly they'll last many years.
    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

"SomeSailor" post=817132 wrote:
      The same oxidation that's causing your paint issues will plague your vinyl just as bad (maybe worse). They can be painted and if you prep them properly they'll last many years.
      +1
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I'm going to redo mine when they make it high enough on the priority list. I was planning to remove them (need to replace tracks as well), sand them, and use Primacon before topcoat. That should work, yes?
        Bryan
        1997 2858 7.4 B2
        1992 Hewescraft
        Puyallup, WA

Comment

"Castaway" post=817241 wrote:
          I'm going to redo mine when they make it high enough on the priority list. I was planning to remove them (need to replace tracks as well), sand them, and use Primacon before topcoat. That should work, yes?
          If I were going to go to all the trouble of removing them, I would have them sand blasted and powder coated.

Does anyone know what the original finish is?
          Esteban
          Huntington Beach, California
          2018 Element 16
          Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
          Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...orm-48503.html

Take a look at the last post in this thread. I don't even own a travel trailer but landed on this looking for an answer to slight corrosion on an aluminum windowsill. I don't know the first thing about the process but the picture looks intriguing. It'll take more digging but might just be a good solituuion and the price doesn't seem terrible.

Comment

Wonder is it even possible to remove the window frames on a 2556, look like they are(at least partly) holding up the fly bridge? Mine are not yet much corroded, just don like the black, makes the interior feeling a dark.

About Primecon, have not used it but it, but think its a underwater primer before anti fouling paint, does not sound right in this application? Guess zinc chromate aluminum primer is the right stuff to prime the frames? Alternatively some 2K epoxy primers works well with aluminium. I need also to redo the track also, will be though as previous owner filled them with some sealer/silicone, can not even figure out the profile.....Side windows arenow totally glued solid.
              Bayliner 2556 1990 project

Comment

"C-NUMB" post=817340 wrote:
                Wonder is it even possible to remove the window frames on a 2556, look like they are(at least partly) holding up the fly bridge? Mine are not yet much corroded, just don like the black, makes the interior feeling a dark.

About Primecon, have not used it but it, but think its a underwater primer before anti fouling paint, does not sound right in this application? Guess zinc chromate aluminum primer is the right stuff to prime the frames? Alternatively some 2K epoxy primers works well with aluminium. I need also to redo the track also, will be though as previous owner filled them with some sealer/silicone, can not even figure out the profile.....Side windows arenow totally glued solid.
                That's unfortunate if I had to choose a primer for the aluminum I'd go with an epoxy chromate. Used it a bunch in auto body, sticks to glass :silly:
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556
                Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

"Sticks to glass". I remember you making that comment last year when I told you I was using DP40LF on my outdrive and prop. That stuff held up well on the outdrive, but part of my prop and most of my trim tabs were bare after last season. I used Primacon for the touching up this year.
                  Bryan
                  1997 2858 7.4 B2
                  1992 Hewescraft
                  Puyallup, WA

Comment

Working...
                  X