Rough water-gctid398656

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough water-gctid398656

I know most of you had experienced this stuff before. I have been in bigger waves but these were very close together.

It was windy the other day and I was going into the Napa River for some fishing and shelter. I followed a larger yacht through the Carquinez Straight to have him smooth out the water for me. But by Vallejo I had to turn in and for about 5 minutes got the full treatment. I was happy to be in my Bayliner and not one of my previous boats.

I like the video, click on full screen. It was from my Iphone.

The opening day for shrimp/lingcod we crossed a very rough bay and had splash coming clear up to the top of the windshield.

Probably 3' plus whitecap chop and close together like that. We were loaded heavy with gear forward and there was hardly any slapping, just cutting thru them but lots of splash up over the bow. Nice to have that hardtop isn't it?

Comment

Yes it is. I wouldn't own a boat that wasn't a hardtop any more.

I have been in much rougher on the ocean but this was the sloppiest I have been through since getting the boat back on the water after a 10 year hiatus. The hull was groaning and I started thinking about how old it was. But it is structurally and now again mechanically in perfect like new condition. And I felt safe. Oh, and I just fixed the wiper. It was hard to see during the video. You can't buy replacement wipers but I took the rubber out of a Ford wiper and slid it into the wiper and bent it back shut. Seems to work fine.

Comment

You know your in rough water when your pulpit submerges every now and then.

Comment

Back in 1948, while crossing Lake Michigan, we jumped some 40 footers and didn't spill a drop of Crown.
          David
          http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
          http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

Looks like a good time!

we got the aftermath of a storm that nearly missed and passed by on erie last week. 35 or so mph winds, white caps on everything, and up to around 6 feet. The only way to make way was at about 15 mph with the bow up. Use tons of gas, but gets the job done safely

We had a few buddies that got caught out 16 miles right in the storm. Took them about 3 hours to get back in...they said they might never go out again...

Comment

You ought to fix that windshield wiper. Put a pantograph arm on it, you'll be glad you did.

Comment

I did finally manage to fix that wiper the other day by sliding in some rubber taken out of a Ford wiper. The Pantograph looks real nice but it doesn't look easy. I saw a thread about it.

Comment

That's rough water to me also.

Myself and a retired Navy friend made the trip down the Sacramento River last year, spent the night at the Vallejo Yacht Club docks, fueled up at the Berkley Sailing club and made the run for the Golden Gate about 11 a.m. with small craft warnings starting at 1:00. Unwise, yes, but, truthfully, who can throw the first stone? Dipped the anchor, which was secured to the pulpit, several times, but I knew I would never be back and I could see the bridge in the distance so we had no choice. Went under the bridge and out about 300 yards and turned back. By then the Coast Guard was chasing all small boats back into the SF Bay.

Small potatoes for the Bay Area/Pacific Ocean guys, but a big deal to me and definitely nothing like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFxUURsKLsI

Comment

That brings back some good memories. I used to live in Vallejo and sailed a little 22 foot Columbia in that area quite a bit. Carquinez strait (I think I spelled that right) alway seems to get pretty rough, especially with an outgoing tide and the summer sea breeze blasting through the strait. You get that really steep chop. I remember one of the first times I made the run out to SF Bay. We were in about the same area that you are in the video, and one of the large bay tugs passed us taking solid spray over the bow.

Far as the small craft warnings, I don't remember to many good sailing days that we didn't have those. Something about being young and having a sailboat that brings out the crazy I guess.

Thanks for the video. I enjoyed it.

Comment

Working...
                    X