Draining Motor after flush?-gctid816404

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draining Motor after flush?-gctid816404

Each time I use my boat (brackish water) I flush it with fresh water. Should I be draining the motor after I flush it or does that matter at all?
    2002 Bayliner Capri Sport 195 Mercruiser 5.0L Alpha I Gen II

Only as winter approaches and freezing is a risk, IMO. If you are a seasonal boater, like most, doing a good rinse, possibly with a salt removing solution, after using the boat will work very well. I had 4.3 Mercruisers in my last boat that was moored in brackish water. They had partial closed cooling and never flushed out. The manifolds and risers lasted over ten years, part of which I attribute to using the boat a lot. Just my experience.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Flushing should be enough. It doesn't hurt to drain it afterwards. I just flush personally....
      2015 Bayliner 175
      3.0L, Alpha 1
      Paradise, NL, Canada

Comment

"SaltyBones" post=816404 wrote:
        Each time I use my boat (brackish water) I flush it with fresh water. Should I be draining the Engine after I flush it or does that matter at all?
        [color]blue wrote:

Please keep in mind that Engine cooling demands are less than what the seawater pump provides.

This means that most all seawater (river/lake/ocean) goes right on out the exhaust, while the thermostat is waiting for enough temperature to give the go-ahead to "open up"!

In other words......... this means that Engine flushing occurs during the opening of the thermostat...... which opens up on an "As Required" basis.

Point being..... just because you see flushing water leaving the exhaust system, it does NOT necessarily mean that the cylinder block has been adequately flushed of salt water.

[/color]
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
        X