Carefull where you leave things lying-gctid398522

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carefull where you leave things lying-gctid398522

Recently the wife and I checked out the boat--the first time in a couple of weeks. Everything seemed fine until I noticed burn marks on the microwave and the wood trim above it. At first we thought somehow it had shorted but we had all the battery switches turned off and the boat was not plugged in. It was then I noticed a reflection moving across the area. On our previous visit on the boat we had left a hand held mirror in the sink. The reflection of the sun through the front windshield had focused on the burned area day after day [hard to believe there was enough sun considering the spring we had in the northwest]. Fortunatly the boat is is moored and because of the rocking motion it did not have a chance to focus too long in one spot.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/702209=29499-2012-07-09_12-12-00_412.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/702209=29497-2012-07-09_12-12-16_45.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/702209=29498-2012-07-09_12-12-28_113.jpg[/img]
    1989 Bayliner 2950
    twin 5.7 OMC's with cobra legs

Wow! Never wud-a-thunk-it! Great post. Thanks for passing this on. I am on Vancouver Island and certainly agree we have had a nice couple of days...finally.
    Mike & Dixi
    2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
    Closed Cooling

Comment

must have been one of those 2 sided mirrors, one flat, one concave. I keep one of these on the boat to take a look-see at hard to get at places.

Comment

Looks like 9 burn marks or so. You are indeed lucky the boat was rocking!

Comment

Are you kidding me?

What rotten luck, friend. :thumb

Sorry to hear & see this.

Sarah

Comment

Anything reflective can do that.. we have seen and heard of eye glasses, stainless items and even cell phones causing reflections in the sun.... make sure everything is out of the window areas, yes even your binocs too.. glad your boat wasnt damaged anymore then a scorch mark on the microwave...

we have a routine, everything in the window on our 3888 is put away in its place, anything wood is removed since the sun can cause damages too

Comment

Good thing you caught it when you did before any more damage. Sucks that it got that far though.

Comment

Sorry to hear of this! What a bummer!

Years ago my parents owned a home where the front living room faced directly west.

In their living room was this beautiful exotic wood coffee table, and in the center of the table they had this crystal glass ornament.... some ball looking affair... I don't recall exactly what it was.

Summer rolled around, and the sun shinned in onto this table in late afternoon.

You can just about hear the rest of the story, can't you?

Nothing actually caught on fire, but it sure ruined this beautiful table top.

It could have just as easily caught their house on fire.

Be happy that it wasn't worse!
                Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                  In their living room was this beautiful exotic wood coffee table, and in the center of the table they had this crystal glass ornament.... some ball looking affair... I don't recall exactly what it was.

Summer rolled around, and the sun shinned in onto this table in late afternoon.

You can just about hear the rest of the story, can't you?
                  There actually was a news story about 3 weeks ago? A family in the Seattle area had snow globes in their home - and 1 of them actually did end up causing a fire in the house.

Comment

I had to rebuild a laminate counter top in one of my customers bedrooms after a mirror caught a pair of pants that was laying on it----ON FIRE!!!

Fortunately, they were home and found the fire before it got big enough to burn the house down. They also had to have the carpet replaced and the room repainted.

Comment

I'm guessing there's no more ants on the boat now?

Sorry - just reverting to my childhood and my old magnifying glass ...

Comment

R&Jonthebay wrote:
                        ....... after a mirror caught a pair of pants that was laying on it----ON FIRE!!!
                        So that's where that saying comes from! I always wondered about that.
                        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I couldn't imagine the explaining I would have had with the insurance company if a fire had started.
                          1989 Bayliner 2950
                          twin 5.7 OMC's with cobra legs

Comment

Holly smoke, literally

Thank goodness it didn't catch fire

Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X