Seeking information on the 3788 from owners.-gctid815174

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking information on the 3788 from owners.-gctid815174

Need your observations, advice, input, or what ever on the older 1996-99 version of the 3788 motor yacht. with the 330 Cummins diesels at 315 hp each.

Will it cruise at 20 knots. I'm willing to use 2400 rpm which is 400 under rated at 2800 rpm?

How is visibility from lower helm at cruise? What do you see and at what cruise speed? For example. I have read a review that indicates visibility is ok.. We have to run 24 miles to the pass for Gulf fishing and would like to do it in a/c comfort down here in Fl. in the summer time.

For shipping would have to remove the flybridge. Assume when new they were shipped with it removed. Can anyone address that? Don't believe it is molded to cabin top. But know removal would be a challenge and maybe not really doable. Any location change might have to be done by water. You have own one, what do you think?

What is the stability at anchor or at dock side? In other words, how much rocking motion do you get when you step down into it from the dock? With the wide beam, and the weight, wouldn't expect much motion. We fish as anchor, but never go out if more than 2 foot seas, but still at anchor wonder what the motion would be?? In my boat search post, the previous boats I have owned and listed there were all acceptable platforms.

What is the bottom? Some ads say deep V, but Parker and McKnew says modified V. With but 10 degree deadrise would think modified V more appropriate.

How is the engine room access? Can you crawl all the way around the engines? (Cummins). Are the hoses, belts, wiring reasonably laid out for service? How about the wiring? What about access to the Generator? What if we have to change a fuel tank? Do they have a good history?

Aft, in the cockpit area can you get to the rudders?

Appreciate your help. If I could find one near me I would see if I could go aboard and see for myself the situation. Anyone within a hundred miles of Pensacola, Fl, that might have the boat and be willing to give me a few minutes , give me a shout.

Again, appreciate the forum and any help you can give me. Ray

You have some pretty good detailed questions above but I believe you would be best suited to determine if this fits your overall goals.

- The 3788 was not produced in higher numbers overall

- Many 3788's on the east coast were gas powered.

- With the early version (1996-99) I have never seen a 330 Cummins installed on the east coast so far

- I believe all of these boats with 330's will be outside of your indicated budget, unless in very poor condition.

- When this boat became the 381 Meridian they produced them in higher quantities and with the 330's

- Most of the Meridian 381's will be priced well above the 37 Bayliner

So if your budget and cruise goals are fairly firm I believe you will be disappointed chasing these boats.
    Northport NY

Comment

"fighterpilot" post=815174 wrote:
      Need your observations, advice, input, or what ever on the older 1996-99 version of the 3788 motor yacht. with the 330 Cummins diesels at 315 hp each.
      Will it cruise at 20 knots. I'm willing to use 2400 rpm which is 400 under rated at 2800 rpm?

[color]blue wrote:
      Most diesel powered 96-99 3788s came with the 6-cylinder engines in 250 or 270 Hp. There were some 210s and a few 310/330, but the higher power ones are very rare. Cruise speed for a 270 at 2200 RPM is around 15 knots. It will do 18-19 knots at 2400 RPM. I've seen 24 knots at WOT with a relatively light boat (1/2 water, 1/2 fuel). 2000 and later 3788s came with the more powerful engines, as well as 4-cylinder 250s. [/color]

How is visibility from lower helm at cruise? What do you see and at what cruise speed? For example. I have read a review that indicates visibility is ok.. We have to run 24 miles to the pass for Gulf fishing and would like to do it in a/c comfort down here in Fl. in the summer time.

[color]blue wrote:
      Visibility from the lower helm is very good at all speeds. Keep in mind that the salon is pretty loud at anything over 1200 RPM.[/color]

For shipping would have to remove the flybridge. Assume when new they were shipped with it removed. Can anyone address that? Don't believe it is molded to cabin top. But know removal would be a challenge and maybe not really doable. Any location change might have to be done by water. You have own one, what do you think?

[color]blue wrote:

You'll need to measure one and talk to a shipper. It may be that all you need to do is remove the radar arch, and venturi windshield.[/color]

What is the stability at anchor or at dock side? In other words, how much rocking motion do you get when you step down into it from the dock? With the wide beam, and the weight, wouldn't expect much motion. We fish as anchor, but never go out if more than 2 foot seas, but still at anchor wonder what the motion would be?? In my boat search post, the previous boats I have owned and listed there were all acceptable platforms.

[color]blue wrote:
      I find stability at anchor and dockside very good. The only time that it's been an issue for me was at anchor with 25 knot wind and a strong current at an angle to the wind. I this case the boat would occasionally swing sideways to the waves, making it uncomfortable. I think most boats would feel the same.[/color]

What is the bottom? Some ads say deep V, but Parker and McKnew says modified V. With but 10 degree deadrise would think modified V more appropriate.

[color]blue wrote:
      I would call it a modified V.[/color]

How is the engine room access? Can you crawl all the way around the engines? (Cummins). Are the hoses, belts, wiring reasonably laid out for service? How about the wiring? What about access to the Generator? What if we have to change a fuel tank? Do they have a good history?

[color]blue wrote:
      Access to the engines in general is good. The exception is the port side of port engine and starboard side of starboard engine. I recommend a remote fuel filter for the port engine and a remote oil filter for the starboard one. This will put all maintenance points toward the center line of the boat. Seaboard Marine can provide OEM kits to relocate the filters. The rest of the items are no harder to reach than most twin engine boats in the 40' size range. One item to note is the port engine raw water pump; access is difficult. I've never heard of a 3788 tank having to be replaced. If a tank needed to come out it will require the removal of an engine, or a hole cut in the hull.[/color]

Aft, in the cockpit area can you get to the rudders?

[color]blue wrote:
      You have full access to the rudder mechanism and steering gear from the cockpit. The rudders themselves have to be accessed from outside the hull.[/color]
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

Norton Rider, great replies. Most appreciated. It does seem that to have a chance at 20 kn cruise have to have the 330B engines. Good to know they did put them in on the earlier models, but finding one for sale in my budget will be a challenge. If I can't run 19 or 20 knots will have to give up on the 3788.

As to noise in salon, has anyone tried the sounddown noise canceling material, including an underlayment of noise damping material underneath the carpet. It made an improvement for me on the Californian with the twin V-8 210hp Cats. Also used it for the "boxed" Yanmars on the Aquasport Tournament Master.

As to the filters, I am familiar with Seaboard marine-- in fact used their spin on fuel filter system for my last boat. Depending on the water pump on the engine, may want to replace with one of theirs as well.

The 3388 has possibilities but would have to find one that was converted to the Cummins diesels since don't believe they came with any diesels. A 3488 did but they are V drive and not going there. Likewise the 3688. The 3870/3888 us a cored hull and not going there either, so I am pretty much limited to finding a 3788 with the 330s and in my budget if I go with a Bayliner.

Appreciate all the help from the forum. Great forum--with this support would sure like to find a Bayliner.

Comment

"fighterpilot" post=815212 wrote:

The 3388 has possibilities but would have to find one that was converted to the Cummins diesels since don't believe they came with any diesels.
          The 3388 was available with 4BTA - 250 Cummins.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

How about that. Will have to see what kind of performance that gave the boat. Believe the 4cyl is a little "rougher" when turning high rpm than the 6cyl but have no experience with it. The yanmars weren't bad but they turned a higher rpm. I'll have to see if there are any 3388 owners here on the forum with the cummins 4cyl 250 engine and what there experience is. Thanks for the additional information. FP

Found one for sale on the forum, but cruise 10knots and wot 15knots. ??? Is that normal for this boat configured with the engines. Boatdiesel.com calculator indicates at 18,000 lbs, average planing hull, twin 240hp, 3000 rpm rated engines, should do 20knots at 2600rpm which is 400rpm under. Where am I going wrong on this boat??? Thanks.

Comment

3388 Cummins 250s 4BTA

24 MPH @1800 RPM

28 MPH @WOT
              Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
              Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
              93 3058 sold
              92 2855 (day boat)
              91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

That sounds more like it, but after looking at a few that are on sale on YW and BT I will pass. Engine accessibility is terrible, and performance isn't all that great. Might have to give up on the Bayliners with my budget.

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=815225 wrote:
                  3388 Cummins 250s 4BTA

24 MPH @1800 RPM

28 MPH @WOT
                  You must mean 24 MPH at 2800 RPM...
                  Brad & Michelle
                  Jet & Maverick
                  1993 3688 "the Kraken"
                  Hino W06 250HP
                  14' Avon RIB, 50hp Tohatsu
                  Moored at Shelter Bay
                  LaConner, WA

Comment

Sounds like you need a true sport fishing boat with more powerful diesels. Bayliner's are cruising boats. Do you plan on going that far out and back everyday?

For a boat with the capabilities you want, I think you're going to need to triple your budget.
                    Esteban
                    Huntington Beach, California
                    2018 Element 16
                    Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
                    Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

"green650" post=815251 wrote:
                      Sounds like you need a true sport fishing boat with more powerful diesels. Bayliner's are cruising boats. Do you plan on going that far out and back everyday?

For a boat with the capabilities you want, I think you're going to need to triple your budget.
                      Agree 100%. Bayliner does not really offer a stock platform that fits your needs and budget.
                      1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
                      2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
                      2019 Cobia 240 CC
                      2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
                      1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

Well, I didn't do a very good job of conveying our use. Fishing is only a small part of the use. Having had 4 boats over the last 12 years I think I hope I have it figured out what will work for us. The 3788 with 330Bs will work for us. Into the Gulf probably no more than 15 to 20 times the whole year. Fishing the bays, cruising with the kids, taking in special events, are also a big factor. The 34 Californian LRC would have worked but for the old Cat engines, 16 knot cruise, and the obsolete TD 502 that I spent months getting fixed, and than the other one started to fail. Sold it thinking my son-in-law and I could go together and get a boat we could both use, me for fishing and cruising, and him for shrimping, but the boat he wanted is but a 12 knot boat. So I am looking again. I also have had Yanmars and my son-in-law has Volvos, so now it is Cummins or none at all. That makes it tough. There was a Chris-Craft 35 with the diesels that would work, but owner took it off the market. Also a Silverton 34 with the 315 diesels at 20K, but it was sold quickly. There is 3788 I would be able to buy if it were in the Gulf area so I could bring home by water. . Maybe as the fall season approaches something will turn up. Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Comment

Did you see this one?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997...s#.WVMx1DxHbYU
                          Esteban
                          2018 Element 16

Comment

I did see that one, which gave me some hope that my budget would work. Considering the prices on others, however, makes me wonder if something wrong with it. If it were down here someplace in the Gulf, so I could bring it home by water I would have already looked at it, but to get it home from MD is at least $10,000 more dollars. And probably have to come by water which is another added risk considering "new to me boat", and potential for mechanical issues enroute. Although an early model it has the big Cummins,

What is the forum's thoughts on the price??

Comment

I think all the other ones are priced high and will not sell anytime soon. They will remain listed while the owner continues to pay slip fees and insurance and the boat depreciates.

It's a buyers market out there now and a smart seller should realize that it's almost 4th of July, then Labor Day, and then most people lose interest in boating till next spring.

I just sold my 32xx and I had quite a few people emailing me asking me why it was so cheap compared to all the other ones listed out there. They never came and saw the boat. I'm the opposite, I don't waste my time going to look at boats that are way overpriced in my because I just figure those people are out of touch.

Anyway, my problem is I just bought a waterfront house in Cape Coral and before I buy a boat for it, I have to buy furniture, vehicle, boatlift etc. etc. etc.
                              Esteban
                              2018 Element 16

Comment

Working...
                              X