Boat won(39)t Start-gctid814971

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat won(39)t Start-gctid814971

I was out on my boat yesterday and when i tried to start it the engine wouldn't turn over the first time, so i readjusted the throttle and tried to start it again. This time I got nothing but a single click noise.

Not really sure what could be causing this. I have read it could be either a starter or the solenoid. The blower and the trim were still working so I don't think it is a dead battery.

My main fear is a possible seized engine, but I don't think i would have gotten anything the first time i tried to start it if it was a seized engine.

If anyone has any experience with this problem and could offer some suggestions that would be great.
    1999 Bayliner 185 LS, 4.3 Mercruiser

Wildwood, NJ

Heard it click? It's probably the slave solenoid. You can jump the two large posts on top to test. Make sure your battery cables have good clean solid contact at both ends of both the positive and negative cables. If none of that seems to help then I'd move onto the starter motor and its solenoid next.

Attached files

Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Well explained here, post #21

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...intermittently
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      93 3058
      92 2855
      91 Fourwinns 205
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

The single click noise could be the starter or the solenoid. If you have a helper it would be helpful so one can be at engine to find where click is coming from. Only way to figure it out is by testing with a meter.

For instance, connecting multimeter on DC volt scale to engine side of starter solenoid and ground will show voltage when turning key to start. If that gets 12+ volts you know the solenoid is working, then watch the meter to see how low it goes. Shouldn't drop more than a volt or two.

If DC volts drop very low, you have either bad battery (low charge), seized starter or dead starter, or worse, locked engine. If you suspect starter, try tapping on it with something solid a few taps. I've seen starters with corrosion turn after tapping, but unusual.

I suspect drained battery. Even if blower and trim work, they don't pull the large amps as when starting.

Comment

"builderdude" post=814974 wrote:
          Heard it click? It's probably the slave solenoid. You can jump the two large posts on top to test. Make sure your battery cables have good clean solid contact at both ends of both the positive and negative cables. If none of that seems to help then I'd move onto the starter motor and its solenoid next.

[attachment]38376 wrote:
          image.jpeg[/attachment]
          In the picture, short the top two terminals together with a screwdriver, after making dam sure there are no fumes in the engine compartment. If the starter runs, that solenoid picted is the culprit. ( That's also what I would try first.) The solenoids are allegedly waterproof, however, in reality they are not . I have disassembled and cleaned corrosion from many and reused them.
          Captharv 2001 2452
          "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

"captharv" post=815009 wrote:
            "builderdude" post=814974 wrote:

[attachment]38376 wrote:
            image.jpeg[/attachment]
            In the picture, short the top two terminals together with a screwdriver, after making dam sure there are no fumes in the engine compartment. If the starter runs, that solenoid picted is the culprit. ( That's also what I would try first.) The solenoids are allegedly waterproof, however, in reality they are not . I have disassembled and cleaned corrosion from many and reused them.
            Not ALWAYS...
            Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
            93 3058
            92 2855
            91 Fourwinns 205
            Longbranch WA
            Life is Good

Comment

Nope not always, It's a good place to start. I prefer to use a remote start button to jump test the slave but most guys won't have one on hand so out comes the screwdriver.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
              (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
              The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
              X