Big Shot Shrimp Boats-gctid814795

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Shot Shrimp Boats-gctid814795

Hurricane Matthew dropped a tree on my Bayliner 185 so now I only have a kayak and dinghy to get me on the water. This afternoon I was anchored in my dinghy while fishing in a large bay when a shrimp boat decides he wants to play a game of chicken. He actually had to change course a few times to continue to maintain course directly for me. About 100-200 feet he powers down and changes course. He apologized as he went by saying he didn't see me but I think he was just trying to shore up his alibi since he realized he was being foolish. He didn't have his nets down by the way and was about 1/4 mile from his dock. I have a bimini top on the dinghy so it's easy to see.

What are some thoughts on this situation and should I report his boat to the authorities?

His changing course several times sounds stinky....but you say you were anchored, so I'm wondering why he would have to change course at all? Several years ago, the bride and I were coming out of a large bay and had to go out around a large navigational aid a good mile away from us, and make a port turn to continue our journey. It was a crystal clear, very calm early Sunday morning. We were on step (26 knots). We were midway around that marker, when I very suddenly see a small tin boat with two guys fishing in it. I think they were either anchored or just sitting there. I had to take evasive action to miss them, narrowly missing them - no more that 25 feet. I felt like a schmuck. I did stop to apologize. To this day, I'm still somewhat bewildered by why neither of us saw them. I've got good vision, and attributed partial 'fault' to them fishing with their small boat very close to the large bouy, a rising sun which may have hidden them a bit in the glare off the calm water and two fenders which are in baskets on the bow rails starboard and port. I've never forgotten that incident.
    Mike & Dixi
    2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
    Closed Cooling

Comment

I've been kinda upset about the whole deal because he could have killed me. It would be stupid for me to survive the war with so many close calls only to get run over by some punk shrimp boat. There was another incident around here where a shrimp boat clipped another fishing boat and killed one of the occupant when it flipped over.

Hearing your story does make me feel better though. Maybe the guy really was distracted and couldn't see me for some reason. He did seem sincere when he said sorry but I assumed there was no way he was being truthful. This area is very popular with tourist and other craft that do not have power. If he thinks he going to teach everyone that uses that area a lesson he is foolish.

Comment

Make the report!

There might be others that he has done the same to!

Maybe if the CG has a talk with him he will be more careful!!!

Just my 2c, but I would report it to the CG!

Don
        1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
        1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
        1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
        10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
        1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
        "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

DONT MAKE THE REPORT! The guy apologized, meaning for whatever dumb reason he didn't see you. Had he not stopped to apologize id say game on.

Comment

I'm leaning toward taking his apology as sincere and letting it go.

Anybody got any theories as to what he may have been doing that distracted him? What are the chances he was calling in his arrival or catch information? Could he have been tending to his gear for some reason?

Comment

Spilled his coffee, reading his charts, texting, selfies, testing the autopilot, adjusting the radar, all sorts of distractions. Those guys can't afford to have a collision issue. Hopefully he got enough of a shakeup that he needed to change his Fruit of the Looms.
              P/C Pete
              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

You did not state what the conditions were when the incident occurred. A small vessel like a dinghy even with a bimini can easily disappear in sun glare or blend with the land mass on the horizon.

Comment

Maybe he was sitting on a bucket at the helm using the compass to keep him on course and couldn't see you because he was sitting on the pot...

I had just untied my boat at the slip once and backed out a couple feet when all of a sudden I see a big fishing boat coming down my row so I stop to let him pass. Well he stopped moving before he passed behind me and I started drifting towards the boat next to me. After about a minute I see the guy stand up pulling his pants up and puts it back in gear to go on his way past me. He waved sorry as he passed because he noticed that I was halfway out the slip but stopped because of him. After a day of fishing I guess he couldn't wait till he got back to his slip to poo, or he just didn't want to dump the bucket right by his slip so he took care of business before he got there.
                  Esteban
                  Huntington Beach, California
                  2018 Element 16
                  Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
                  Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Working...
                  X