What do you think? (Inner Transom crack)-gctid398333

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think? (Inner Transom crack)-gctid398333

What do you think? (Inner Transom crack) Outside appears ok.Mechanic was working on gimble ring and steering pin on my 2000 Bayliner 2655 and saw this.Said it did not appear to have any rot but WOULD if not sealed. Said would seal with 5200 for me.Bigger issue or should all be fine?What caused it? He thinks maybe in the boats past someone hit the drive on something and did the damage. (the drive looks fine)

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/702020=29479-IMG951956 (Custom).jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/702020=29480-IMG953046 (Custom).jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/702020=29481-IMG955556 (Custom).jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/702020=29482-IMG958936 (Custom).jpg[/img]

That actually looks pretty scary to me. I would want to open up that area and see whats underneath. Do you know a fiberglass guy? I would get a second opinion, I wouldn't just cover it up. .:thumb

Comment

Here is a larger photo set. The crack is about 9" overall (it looks bigger in the picture but the tube you see is the drain plug hole to give perspective.) The Mechanic did not notice any soft wood etc. most of the time the crack is above any water but he still suggested sealing it. Is this transom all wood or wood and fiberglass or just fiberglass right there?

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/702040=29488-IMG951956.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/702040=29489-IMG953046.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/702040=29490-IMG955556.jpg[/img]

Comment

Over the fiberglass is a layer of gelcoat. When it's half-hazardly sprayed on in thick quantities in areas which do not matter, like the bilge, it has a tendency to shrink and crack. My guess is that this is all that the crack is - a bit of shrunken gelcoat, with the fiberglass behind intact.

I would grind a bit of the gelcoat off and see what you're looking at, or drill a small hole in the middle of the crack far enough in to see if there's wood behind it and if so if it's wet, and then patch it up.

Comment

Looks worrisome. Yes, good suggestion to drill a hole at the crack and see if you have clean dry wood coming out of the bit or if it's wet(drill only 3/4 way through). If dry, seal it up right away. If it's wet, you know the transom is soaking up water, becoming water logged and eventually rotting. Hopefully it's just a stress crack in the gel coat, entirely possible since this is where the maximum amount of stress from the transom will show.

Gary.

Comment

ishiboo wrote:
            Over the fiberglass is a layer of gelcoat. When it's half-hazardly sprayed on in thick quantities in areas which do not matter, like the bilge, it has a tendency to shrink and crack. My guess is that this is all that the crack is - a bit of shrunken gelcoat, with the fiberglass behind intact.

I would grind a bit of the gelcoat off and see what you're looking at, or drill a small hole in the middle of the crack far enough in to see if there's wood behind it and if so if it's wet, and then patch it up.
            What he said.

I don't even think thats gelcoat. I think its probably paint.

Grind the gelcoat off, look at the fiberglass underneath. If all is good, shoot a new coat of gel on it and call it good.
            Matt Train
            BOC Site Team
            Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I prefer to drill a few test holes in areas that concern me. If black mush and water comes out, you have problems. If clean wood comes out, Okay. You might find mush below a certain point and wood above. (the water usually settles low) The crack might be just along the good/bad area. Or you might find a bad spot only around a certain fixture that leaked, such as a swim platform brace or trim tab.

1/4" holes are pretty easy to fill with epoxy. Use an epoxy syringe to fill them from the back to the top.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Mariner wrote:
                  That actually looks pretty scary to me. I would want to open up that area and see whats underneath.
                  Me too. Especially because it is right underneath your outdrive. Maybe somebody drug the outdrive up the ramp or backed into a dock or something. I'd want to know.

Comment

When the factory installed the plastic tube in my transom they left a gap of exposed wood between the end of the tube and the garbord drain plug. This soaked up some water but it was very localized and i was able to repair it before any major damage occurred.
                    2001 2859 DREAMER
                    Bohemia River Maryland

Comment

Monterey10 wrote:
                      I prefer to drill a few test holes in areas that concern me. If black mush and water comes out, you have problems. If clean wood comes out, Okay. You might find mush below a certain point and wood above. (the water usually settles low) The crack might be just along the good/bad area. Or you might find a bad spot only around a certain fixture that leaked, such as a swim platform brace or trim tab.

1/4" holes are pretty easy to fill with epoxy. Use an epoxy syringe to fill them from the back to the top.
                      This is what I would do and is the best solution to filling in and test holes.
                      Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                      1998 3055 Ciera
                      (yes, a 1998)
                      Previous boat: 1993 3055
                      Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                      Sea Doo XP
                      Sea Doo GTI SE
                      Life is short. Boats are cool.
                      The family that plays together stays together.
                      Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks, I asked the Mechanic that has my boat to perform the further suggested checking before putting the engine etc. back in. If all is good he is going to fill back in with 5200 and send me on my way. Everyone cross your fingers.

Comment

Realized I never updated, he tested and all was good no moisture and wood was solid. He buzzed the crack out and filled it all in with 5200. He said the transom was actually new and he would guess no more than a couple seasons old. All is good. ...except he said to hope I never needed to change it out as it appeared the new one was put in with 5200 so it would be a hella job and lots of hours if it was ever needed. lol He said there was enough though he doubts that will be the case.

Comment

a transom installed with 5200? I'd call that a sloppy DIY job as 5200 has some adhesion properties but not the shear strength of resin. I wouldn't even have filled the holes with 5200. Epoxy paste (Epoxy with fumed Silica) is the only way to do it right.

3M 5200 is great stuff but only to seal small gaps and not used as a filler.

Comment

kjs wrote:
                              a transom installed with 5200? I'd call that a sloppy DIY job as 5200 has some adhesion properties but not the shear strength of resin. I wouldn't even have filled the holes with 5200. Epoxy paste (Epoxy with fumed Silica) is the only way to do it right.

3M 5200 is great stuff but only to seal small gaps and not used as a filler.
                              Plus 1
                              Started boating 1955
                              Number of boats owned 32
                              Bayliners
                              3870 presently owned
                              Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Working...
                              X