Barnacles!!!-gctid813781

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barnacles!!!-gctid813781

A big day for us. We pulled Surprise out to install new props, finally. I missed setting up for the slip a couple of times wondering why the boat has been so sluggish recently. As it came up everyone was astonished that, after only eleven weeks in the water, the running gear was coated with the heaviest blanket of barnacles any has ever seen. It's been common to very boat just hauled out. Our dinghy was coated after only two weeks. They are tiny but cover every centimeter of surface area. Wow. Going to need a diver every month if it keeps up.
    Steve & Cary Sober
    Woodstock, VA
    SURPRISE
    2000 Bayliner 4788
    Cummins 370's
    Achilles 350DX with Eurohelm and 20HP Tohatsu
    Kent Island, MD

Two medium coats of cold galvanizing spray from the Home Depot (Rustoleum) lasts us the full season which runs from now till about November.

Used on the props and the shafts after taping off the shaft zincs - metal needs to be clean before coating / about $8 per spray can two required.

This is what we used the past 6-7 seasons although we have tried other various methods over the years.
    Northport NY

Comment

We got the props coated, other gear just got a good scraping. I can see divers in our future. I got SCUBA certified in 94 so I could scrape barnacles off our sailboat's little prop but I've never seen them as thick as this year.
      Steve & Cary Sober
      Woodstock, VA
      SURPRISE
      2000 Bayliner 4788
      Cummins 370's
      Achilles 350DX with Eurohelm and 20HP Tohatsu
      Kent Island, MD

Comment

Working...
      X