No announcement yet.

Need flushing solution for Alpha 1 raw water engine on a boat lift-gctid813567

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need flushing solution for Alpha 1 raw water engine on a boat lift-gctid813567

It's been a while since I posted here, hope everyone is doing well. We have moved to the Gulf region(Orange Beach, AL). Our 242 is now a saltwater boat after spending 7 years navigating Lake Erie. We are having blast here near Alabama/Florida line navigating ICW, Bayous, and fishing the oil rigs offshore and in the Mobile bay. The boat is stored on the lift right next to our home which is a huge plus.

Since we are raw water cooled and have alpha out-drive, the only way to flush is to send my son with the muffs and hose off the dock end and have him attach this contraption while boat is lifted out of the water. That's less than ideal, because I don't like to depend on teenager's favors and going for dip in murky bay at midnight after another fishing trip is less than appealing. I have been looking at Perco FlushPro system that uses inline raw water check-valve to divert garden hose city water in to the engine. However I'm not sure if it will work with the alpha drive since the impeller would have to remain submerged in the salt water and generate back-pressure while engine is running the flush on a hose. Has anyone tried Perco FlushPro with alpha drive?

Looking at reviews for it, it doesn't look good. The alpha water pump will burn shortly if you run it dry. That will cause more damage to your engine than saltwater...

Saltwater is not the end of the world. You could get closed cooling which would run close to $1,000, or convert to thru hull intake, engine driven Johnson pump, and add an inline hose fitting. Second option would run around $500 but would be more work.

The beauty of adding a closed cooling system is then it's very easy to add a red dot heater that runs off coolant. Then you have heat in your boat while the engine is running for those cold winter days.
    Esteban
    Huntington Beach, California
    2018 Element 16
    Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
    Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

When flushing I would leave the boat in the water so the out-drive/impeller remains submerged. I was just not sure how strong the check-valve on the FlushPro is. Can it hold 4-5 psi raw water pressure alpha drive pushing in or will it let some salt water in while garden hose is supplying water? The Alpha 1 Gent 2 water pump is low pressure high volume, I don't think the back pressure will damage it as long as the water provides lubrication while its spinning.

Closed loop is out of the question, this engine has been in service for 10 years on Lake Erie and now is in salt water use. The closed loop cooling conversion kits are only good for virgin brand new engines that have never seen salt and have not had rust flake build up like most raw water cooled one have after a season of use.

Comment

You have a boat lift next to a bulk head ? No finger dock ?

You can't extend out the lift 3-5 feet behind the boat ?

Then you lift the boat and lay out a plank to walk behind the boat.
        Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

this is all you need. We used one with no problems for 10 seasons.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...lusher&i=96755

You're welcome.

Comment

Nice find.

How do you manage to work / wipe down the outside transom, or do any work on the transom ?

I had a full width swim platform.

How about the side away from the bulkhead ?

If the bunks were extended say 5 feet behind the boat, a person can lay out or filp a plank that was secured with say a piano hinge, finished doing what your doing and the plank in flipped back.

Would like to see the boat on the lift, how high does it go ? Does the hull lift past the bulkhead ? Got a pic ?

Below is a pic, see how it hinges . If your boat lifts higher ... extending the bunks, then hinged platform would lay on the extended bunks.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I usually hose down, but don't usually wipe down, the transom. If I want to scrub it I have a brush with a broom handle. There are various work platforms that you can add to most cradle lifts; I have a work platform on the "far side" that I can climb onto to hose or wipe the far side of the boat. On the rare occasion that I want to or need to work on the engine/outdrive and need to get down low, I will use an inflatable or kayak as my "workboat," or I will just put the boat on the trailer and do the work on the hard. But that is once per season or less.....

Some people in my area have added work platforms that give access to the lower unit....I have not had the need......

Comment

Ohh man that's just what I was looking for. I made one similar to this using broomstick and ordinary muffs attached with a hose lamp, but the weight of the hose kept pulling muffs down and made it difficult to position them. That sure beats having to climb in to the bay. Thanks!

Comment

This is my lift setup, it's pretty much lifted to the max before bow railing comes in contact with the winch housing. This leaves me about 20" gap between dock and swim platform to work with.

Comment

"6104696" post=813598 wrote:
                    this is all you need. We used one with no problems for 10 seasons.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...lusher&i=96755

You're welcome.
                    x2

I had the same issue i was trying to figure out before the season started and somebody (maybe you) recommended this. It is been great all season and dead simple to use!
                    2002 Bayliner Capri Sport 195 Mercruiser 5.0L Alpha I Gen II

Comment

Working...
                    X