Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Avanti 3450?-gctid813321

Hi guys,

Have an opportunity to buy what seems like a pretty rare Bayliner model. A 1987 Avanti 3450. Overall good shape (still gonna get it surveyed of course). No cool mods like ac, or electric toilet but still good overall for the year. Been looking for a boat I can slip for a lot of the year, and was told to avoid anything stern drive, so been looking solely for something with twin in boards at a good cost. This one seems to fit the bill.

Engines have 850 hours on it. Only second owner and he's tahen good care of her.

Seller wants 18k and won't go down any further. Anything to watch out for with model? Does this seem like a decent deal for a good sized cruiser with twin inboards?

Thanks!

Yachtman paid $1000 for his recently...

Maybe he will chime in
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=813358 wrote:
      Yachtman paid $1000 for his recently...

Maybe he will chime in
      Wow, $1000? Either his was a complete project boat or I'm getting very ripped off haha :lol:

Comment

Yeah i paid $1000 for mine but you cant go by that. I got mine from some farmers field who was many miles from water. I was able to move it for just gas money and no one wanted it based on location and a few other things.

My offer was based on the fact that I didn't believe it was winterized or at least properly. The seller said it was. I think I won that bet as it wasn't ( or should I say lost )

I bought it purely from the aspect that the hull is in very good condition and that was the price I paid for it. I spent almost.$4000 in parts on it yesterday.

Moving on...... if it has original exhaust manifolds as many of those do plan on replacing them. They are at the end of their life regardless of hours. That $1000 just in parts. Now you can't buy the originals because they are no longer available so you will have to do modification to the oil filter ( i moved my to front of engine for better access) location and the fuel filter mount. The 4 inch exhaust will now be too short because of center riser install. You will need new exhaust hose stubs.

The original exhaust is Develvo thermocon (old chris craft stuff)

The boat is expansively wide and is a huge upgrade from say a 32 foot boat. I have 2 32 foot boats and a avanti 3450. The 3450 is much bigger in all aspects. I like the walk around v berth bed.

If it ever needs a new refrigerator it's going to be a pain. The only one manufactured that fits through the door costs $1500. Bayliner wasn't thinking there. Original is 24 inches. The door at its widest is 22 inches must have installed it before the deck cap was installed. I solved the problem in a round about way.

The hulls in that time period are great improvements over previous bayliner hulls. On my 1980 hulls not so good. The glass work and construction is much better in the 3450..

I have not found any structural insufficiency in the hull. I do have a soft spot on the aft deck sole (floor). Mainly I think that is because it's a common sport that every one steps on and I think the foam core has collapsed a little. It's not bad but sometime in the future I will have to address it. It's not rot it's a deteriorated foam core. I think I might just fix the core then teak strip the deck.

The radar arches on the 3450 seem to be a little weak. If like mine especially if it has radar it's saggj g some but the wood in it is good. I think I'll support it up and then add some stiffiners. I think its because jts just so much wider that other boats its size.

Also look at the anchor pulpit. Boats that age start to have rot there in the pulpit core. Not a super difficult repair but still something to repair. Remember it's a old boat

I kind of spoke about the negative but here are the positives. I love the lay out. Every thing for the most part is easy to get to. I can stand in the engine compartment in the front of the engines and I can comfortably sit on 3 sides of each engine with little removed. If you have a generator it's going to be tight between the engines. I don't have one. There is mass battery space for installing more house batteries and installing a inverter if you don't already have one.

The sea strainers are about as easy to get to as any boat I've been on. It has a huge dash for installing goodies and nav things you might need. With the top up you could easily sleep 8 people.

In the cave there is a hatch door to access things like water heater black water tank water pumps and so on.

The electrical stuff is easy to get to and there is good access to the stuff behind it with the panel removed.

I'm not in love with the head (bathroom) but it's sufficient. I prefer a separate shower like on my 32ft if you don't mind that then the bathroom is great. All the gauges controls and compass are accessable at the back through the head ceiling panels.

I didn't like some of the galley either but it's because of my own preferences. I don't like the alcohol stove so I'm installing a 3 burner force 10 propane stove oven. Remember what I said about the frig. That is where I put the new stove. For the most part the galley is what it is in that style of boat they are mostly the same so I'm not knocking it there isnt much that can be done different. Over the 3450 years there are variations but all pretty much the same.

The dinette down below as well as out on the aft deck fold I to double beds by removing the tables and installing the cushions. Then it sleeps 2 more in the cave and 2 more in the v berth. Has a nice hanging closet in the v berth.

Mine had a owner with several large dogs that destroyed the interior so now I get to replace it. I removed the carpet and I'm installing a teak strip plank floor.

There is a lot of areas on the boat. And most every thing is easy to get to. A lot of it is dated color and technology wise but if you don't mind that it's not a big deal. I'm changing a lot of that out

Another thing I think that boat was designed in a manner that it will need less maintenance on it. On my 3450 there is zero wood to have to maintain.

Over all I think they are good well constructed thought out boats. It has a falter hull than others it's size so it might be a little rougher in big wave conditions but it's going to be over all much more stable. Less rocking.

There are lots of YouTube videos regarding this model boat and others similar. It's older so it could probably benefit from some upgrades.

The 87-88- early 89 3450 ( my title says 3415) have a book price of a round $25000 + or - depending on goodies and condition so the $18000 price might not be that far off. I've seen many in the $15000 to $30000 range.

I think the classifications of that boat are 3450 , 3455, 3415 the first years 87-88 mostly were referred to as 3450's. In 1988 and 89 they made a fly bridge version which was the real 3450 and other were 3415 and 3455 but every one still calls them a 3450.

I have yet to use mine but I've been into boats most of my life. It looks like as good as any boat of that era. Keep in mind bayliner had a bad reputation in the early 80's the 3450 is a good example of bayliner working to dig out of that rap. Much better fit and glass work and hardware probably better than most in that time period.

All my hardware is 316 stainless. It has a factory installed Muir cougar windlass on it . (A $5000 windlass)

The factory exhaust manifolds. You need to replace if that is what you have. I can garantee you the factory ones are worn out regardless of hours.I'm going with mercruiser center riser. Mainly because replacement parts are readily available and supply and demand they are less expensive. No center spacer needed.

The new stove still working on it.

New gauges and real maple burl wood dash from a tree I cut dried and milled myself. Mostly done but I don't have a current pic. I don't like the star wars gauges. I have all working ones (star wars) that I'll be getting rid of soon. .

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
        twin 454's
        MV Mar-Y-Sol
        1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
        Twin chevy 350's inboard
        Ben- Jamin
        spokane Washington

Comment

The $1000 subject.....

They are really big to haul very wide over the road. Oh and mine weighed 18140 lbs on a 3000 lb trailer and it hangs out into the other lane just as much. I was driving in the middle of the lane.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CJhhW6mupMA
          twin 454's
          MV Mar-Y-Sol
          Twin chevy 350's inboard
          Ben- Jamin
          spokane Washington

Comment

Can't tell you how much I appreciate such a detailed response. So helpful!

One thing I can mention right off the bat, is that the exhaust manifolds have been upgraded with "Crusader" type. Hopefully that suffices. Also has new MSD ignition. Sea trail went well. You're right about the wide beam. I couldn't believe how little the thing moved at sea. Virtually no swaying or rolling. Big selling point. Here are the actual specs if it helps:

Engines have been constantly refurbished with Crusader exhaust, and MSD ignition on 330 hp 454 engines provides great performance and reliability in a preferred inboard v-drive. Great engine access through large removable hatches on rear cockpit.

Cruising speed 20

fuel holds 200 gallons, 35 water, double house batteries with a backup switched battery last a full weekend. Water heater, refrigerator icemaker, stove, enclosed shower and head, sun pad for front deck, Full newer enclosure with strata glass fronts, full over the bimini cover for further protection from windows to rear. Davit system capable of handling large dingy. Full set of replacement engine parts for almost the complete engine. Radar, GPS,

Comment

I would say from what you have said it sounds like a fair deal. The exhaust parts alone is $1000+ and a new top is $3000 + just for the front half depending on what you have.. If it's clean for the most part and runs well in would say it's a fair price.

You need to have it surveyed though.. prices l older boat like that can vary widely as you can see the difference between mine and yours. It really depends on how much deferred maintenance there needs to be done and any upgrades. In my case lots of defered maintenance and zero upgrades. Mine sat in a covered slip for nine years in used and in maintained.
              twin 454's
              MV Mar-Y-Sol
              Twin chevy 350's inboard
              Ben- Jamin
              spokane Washington

Comment

We had a 1988 for 10 years and loved it, gutted it updated the interior, replaced all hoses, engine gaskets, exhaust manifolds,canvas, other than the 34 gph at cruise no complaints .

Then bought our 38 ....Living our Dream
                {Living our Dream}
                John & Nancy
                1988 Bayliner 38
                175 Hinos 8.5 kw Westerbeke
                Sandy Point Ferndale Washington

Comment

Thank you Yachtman!

The deck and exterior are definitely in good shape. Very clean, upholstery in great shape. Very little wear on gauges/dash. The windows might need a little bit of resealing but thats it. The bilge is spotless and engine runs strong. The cabin, while in decent shape, is essentially the same cabin it was in 1987 and even then it was probably considered dated. This is probably the main piece that would need some work. Carpet is good, but head and kitchen need new faucets (showing some rust), could use new shower head, new mirror, new vaccuflush or electric toilet (i hate the pump ones), new stereo receiver (speakers are good though), perhaps AC installed. As you can see though, mostly minor stuff in the big scheme of things.

As you mentioned though, I love the wide beam aspect of it. The thing hardly rolls or sways at all.....just feels very stable.

Having it surveyed tomorrow.....hopefully all goes well!

Comment

Alright guys, she's officially mine . Ended up getting her for 17k.

Biggest issues I have is a little bit of corrosion in some areas, but I think I can take care of this without much issue.

Other than that, it's really all about making the cabin a bit more modern (as mentioned, very clean but VERY dated).

Yachtman - Have particular recommendations on getting AC, electric head, possibly electric windglass installed? Any other cool things you can recommend?

Attaching a few images for reference.

Attached files

Comment

Well that's cool. I hope you like it. I am looking forward to seeing what things you do to it.

Mine has a windlass and I will agree a boat of that size needs a windlass. As for air conditioning I would probably look for a reverse air type that bayliner installed on those usually from the factory as an option. That is why you have 2 power inlet plugs. Some came with heat and air some didn't.

I'm installing an electric head on mine. There really isn't much to it different to installing a new head except you will need electricity and a power switch and breaker.

I think some of the best mods and what I eventually plan on doing is LED lights a bigger house battery bank and a way to monitor it. I also have a 3000 watt inverter im going to install that has a auto transfer swithch internally. That way at moment of unplug im still on AC to all.

If you plan on having air conditioner you will need a generator or it will only work on shore power.
                      twin 454's
                      MV Mar-Y-Sol
                      Twin chevy 350's inboard
                      Ben- Jamin
                      spokane Washington

Comment

Well that's cool. I hope you like it. I am looking forward to seeing what things you do to it.

Mine has a windlass and I will agree a boat of that size needs a windlass. As for air conditioning I would probably look for a reverse air type that bayliner installed on those usually from the factory as an option. That is why you have 2 power inlet plugs. Some came with heat and air some didn't.

I'm installing an electric head on mine. There really isn't much to it different to installing a new head except you will need electricity and a power switch and breaker.

I think some of the best mods and what I eventually plan on doing is LED lights a bigger house battery bank and a way to monitor it. I also have a 3000 watt inverter im going to install that has a auto transfer swithch internally. That way at moment of unplug im still on AC to all.

If you plan on having air conditioner you will need a generator or it will only work on shore power.
                        twin 454's
                        MV Mar-Y-Sol
                        Twin chevy 350's inboard
                        Ben- Jamin
                        spokane Washington

Comment

Congratulations! Sounds like a good boat and a fair price. While we are throwing values around, I might chime in the your full MSD ignition system on those engines is also worth almost $1K. Also, you have the potential of stretching your fuel dollar.

After you get to know the boat, your waters, and the sounds of running engines, you should be able to tweak those big block GM's to get another 10% out of the fuel. Figure that into how she will use fuel and enjoy some $aving$.

Happy boating.

Comment

"yachtman" post=814427 wrote:

So I'm thinking this might turn out to be more a project than thought...... Oh well, no choice no but to bite the bullet and go for it as can't rally take her back.

So as mentioned, deck is as clean as a whistle. Seats were all reupholstered just a few years back and really needs no work. Only part that might need some work is the star wars gauges (probably will leave them alone as they do work) and the levers are pretty corroded so they stick pretty hard when shifting. Do you think taking them apart and oiling them down would do the trick?

As mentioned, the work that needs to be done is really just the interior. It has that horrible musty, dusty old interior smell and feeling that feels like you're stepping into a relic. I literally don't think either of the previous owners touched it for the last 30 years. The carpet is decent enough though I think I can leave it alone for now (after I'm done steam cleaning the hell out of it). The main parts are:

- Upholstery in cabin, aft-cabin and v-birth is just absolute crap. Just feels like old and worn out. Either need to reupholster or replace. What do you think?

- The gallery needs a redo. I'm thinking what you did of completely replacing the counter top or, sanding it down and redoing it. Theres a lot of chippage here.

- Sink/faucet, also pretty corroded. Maybe salvageable, but probably needs replacement.

- Microwave broken and loose. Any standard microwave should work in replacement?

- Fridge, while functional, is very corroded and barely works. Thinking I need to replace I know you mentioned theres only one model that will fit it. Do you have the name? Maybe I can find it used.

- Table in the cabin loose and falling apart. Possible to get a new table/bar for interior?

- Head shower and lights have lots of corrosion (as shower is metal, not plastic). With shower, I assume I can just buy a new replacement shower head. Lights which are surrounded in metal, what do you think?

- V-birth needs new foam cushion (might just throw a double foam mattress on there) but biggest issue is, and I'm not sure the name of the area, but the foam between the wall and the bed......the foam lining so to speak, has some water damage in a few places and needs to be replaced. Is that something that falls into reupholstering?

Phew, hope I'm not missing anything. As you can see, it's a pretty big interior redo, but hey, at least I have the foundation with the all that space. Plus it's still in good mechanical shape.

Any idea what I'd be looking at in costs or if anyof this isnt possible? Hoping to stay under 5k if at all possible.

Thanks!

Attached files

Comment

Well I'm kind of in the same boat. The P.O. of my 3450 had several big dogs he kept it and was a smoker.

The interior of mine was trashed. The v berth I'm not touching for now. It looks.like.it was.used very little although dated it's in good shape. I cleaned and for the most part the smell.in that part is gone. I'm replacing the carpet there and no more.

My frig didn't work and the stove wasn't worth trying. The salon carpet was filthy and Harry. I'll post a picture of the frig that will fit but I couldn't find any norcold that was narrow enough to fit through the door.

The floor I'm installing real teak wood I could in a flooring store. I killed the finish off and am going to just oil it. Being inside shouldn't be a big deal.

I put my new.propane stove/oven where the refrigerator was and shortened the seating bench to the left of the sink maybe 5 -6 inches to accommodate the new all AC frig im installing.

I have a 3000 watt inverter with auto transfer switch for the fridge and some lighting.

Here.is what I would do if I were you. Take only one project/section at a time. Otherwise it gets too overwhelming. Start with the one that will make the most impact on the other projects. Like replacing the counter first.

Even if you can only just redo one cushion at a time do that.

I would replace all the lighting with led lights. You have to replace them do it with latest technology also they use much less power.

Fix what's screaming at you most first. This refrigerator will fit I believe.

I bought a A.C. refrigerator because it fit what I want to do and it was $250. With the A.C. inverter I'm into it for$550.

That boat has no A.C. lighting i dont know if you noticed that. I'm installing some ac lights so they will work with inverter and shore power.

The plan is to make my new refrigerator like this one. With the microwave sitting on top. Then using the old microwave spot to make a cupboard to store kitchen stuff.

Where the old refrigerator was and the new stove oven.

I also didn't like stove stuck back in the corner. This way I capture more counter space more pots where microwave was and pans storage (also below stove).

I lose sitting space where probably dont use it anyway.

I am removing all the carpet except puting new carpet under the salon table and the small piece in the v berth. Where the carpet is on the wall I'm removing and outing hull liner. Cheaper and easier to apply it's lighter in weight and color and easier to work with.

I'm not touching the head liner. It's in good condition and although I would like to change it to something lighter it looks like a night mare to replace.

Attached files

twin 454's
                              MV Mar-Y-Sol
                              Twin chevy 350's inboard
                              Ben- Jamin
                              spokane Washington

Comment

Working...
                              X