3055 vent covers and vents-gctid813316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3055 vent covers and vents-gctid813316

After a member recently sent me a pm with a question relating to access for the screw location for the starboard vent cover, I've decided to finally replace the louvres for the blowers. I thought I should add Louvre plate to the port side has there was none present. To my surprise after the port vent cover was removed, there was a visaable repair done to cover 8 screw holes, 4 per vent like the starboard side.

What is hiding behind other members 3055 vent covers? Are there louvred vents or nothing at all? I'm wondering if mine were removed by the previous owner because there was an issue with air flow to the twin 5.7 mercruiser's?

Thanks in advance.

Discovery
    Yellowknife, NT. Canada
    2002 cierra 3055
    twin 350 mags mpi FWC w/B2

Hi Discovery, Thanks mate for the up-date, I have still not done anything with mine yet, still relying on the clear tape. I have other issues to sort with engine alarm first.

Any photos you could post would be appreciated.

Cheers Steve

Comment

Heading to my boat tonight to continue with my solar install. I'll check mine and let you know.
      Sea Venture
      2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
      Cruising the PNW and beyond.
      DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
      MMSI 316029971

Kirk
      Drinks well with others.

Comment

here is the pic of the starboard side with the old blower lovers removed and holes pre drilled for the new louvres to cover the long oval vent. The port side is exactly the same, no pic, with the exception of screw holes for the 4" round vents filled in.

Attached files

Yellowknife, NT. Canada
        2002 cierra 3055

Comment

Thanks for posting photo, Keep us informed with your progress, I am real interested as I have this all to do myself

Comment

Meant to ask you for the size of the large oval hole, Length & Width as I would like to try and get a plastic vent/ louvres to cover. No problem getting the smaller round ones.

Comment

"SprinterX" post=813380 wrote:
              Heading to my boat tonight to continue with my solar install. I'll check mine and let you know.
              Forgot to check, my bad. Sorry.
              Sea Venture
              DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
              MMSI 316029971

Kirk
              Drinks well with others.

Comment

"TPONZ" post=813498 wrote:
                Meant to ask you for the size of the large oval hole, Length & Width as I would like to try and get a plastic vent/ louvres to cover. No problem getting the smaller round ones.
                Large hole is 3.75" X 14.25" and cover can't be more than 7"X 18.5" for clearances and estitics.

The first picture shows what appears to be filled screw holes for previously installed 4" round louvred vent, why would this have been removed. The second picture is of the port side, no vent louvres installed. Picture 3 is the only off the shelf solution to cover the long hole ( pic didn't load, will try again). My worry is that I will be restricting air available for the engine by adding louvres to all these uncovered vents.

[attachment]37782 wrote:
                image.jpeg[/attachment] [attachment]37783 wrote:
                image.jpeg[/attachment]

Attached files

Yellowknife, NT. Canada
                2002 cierra 3055

Comment

I thought the same with regards to air restriction, but like i said I lay tape on the top of the vent cover from front to back to stop water getting in and engines run just as cool. The only reason

that I am looking for white plastic is that I would like the vents to blend in as I think they will be seen.

Comment

"TPONZ" post=813672 wrote:
                    I thought the same with regards to air restriction, but like i said I lay tape on the top of the vent cover from front to back to stop water getting in and engines run just as cool. The only reason

that I am looking for white plastic is that I would like the vents to blend in as I think they will be seen.
                    I looked for a one piece white louver with no success. The 2 piece stainless was the best I could find.

Good luck with the hunt.
                    Yellowknife, NT. Canada
                    2002 cierra 3055

Comment

"Discovery" post=813692 wrote:
                      "TPONZ" post=813672 wrote:

I looked for a one piece white louver with no success. The 2 piece stainless was the best I could find.

Good luck with the hunt.
                      Pics or links please.
                      Sea Venture
                      DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
                      MMSI 316029971

Kirk
                      Drinks well with others.

Comment

The pic will not load but the vent is from made by sea dog, part # 331400-1 and measures 4-5/8 X 9-1/8
                        Yellowknife, NT. Canada
                        2002 cierra 3055

Comment

"Discovery" post=813590 wrote:

[attachment]37782 wrote:
                          image.jpeg[/attachment] [attachment]37783 wrote:
                          image.jpeg[/attachment]
                          Reviewing the pics of your port side vents again I see the internal structure is the same as mine. I don't believe Bayliner ever had louvers in this location and your repaired holes may have been from a mistaken drilling at the factory.

What is your objective for installing louvers over these vent openings?

If it's to prevent water entry into the engine compartment the angled structure on the inside is suppose to do that. If water is still getting in then resealing the edges and forming should solve the problem. For my rainy winter storage here in Vancouver I put aluminum tape along the upper side opening of the big cover to prevent water egress. I have also fab'd up closed cell foam plugs that fit from the engine compartment side into the angled deflector boxes. This helps seal off the engine compartment to prevent heat loss provided by my https://www.amazon.ca/Caframo-Pali-E...0<br /> <br /> (Check it out, that's one sweet kick a$$ price if you're in the market)
                          Sea Venture
                          DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
                          MMSI 316029971

Kirk
                          Drinks well with others.

Comment

The original intent was to stop water egress on the starboard side as it was being wicked into the cave at the seam right beside the large opening. Now that I'm into it I thought it best to simply restrict water egress into the engine bay on both sides. This isn't a costly adventure but an issue with flex ability into getting at some of the mounting screws. I will also be applying a liberal amount of sealant along the interior angled structure.

No need for an engine heater as the boat winters on its trailer before ambient air drops below 0.
                            Yellowknife, NT. Canada
                            2002 cierra 3055

Comment

Working...
                            X