4788 Painting back door and window frames

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Painting back door and window frames

Hi there, has anyone changed the colour of the white frames around the stern / back doors and windows. I'm about to have these repainted and was thinking of changing the frame colour to black similar the frames on the side and front of the boat. I'm thinking this will give a more modern sleek look from the rear. Would be interested to know if anyone else has thought the same.

I had mine repainted in the same bright white colour, which really lifted the cockpit area. I included the corner bulkhead alum area that wraps around the side to the salon side windows which returned it to look like it was original. So do you plan to paint that area too?? There's a 4" strip above the side salon windows (under the rain gutter overhang), so would that be included too?? Do you split the cockpit salon door in half, black on the top half, white on the bottom half (like the pilot house doors). What about the salon door strike channel trim that runs over the top of the sliding door.

My point is where do you stop with the black?? Not my cup of tea to be honest, but it's your boat!! Post some pics if you go ahead!

Cheers
    John H
    Brisbane QLD Aust
    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

Am toying with it matching the wheelhouse doors or the whole back door in black. It's a bold move but if I do I'll post some pics. Cheers

Comment

So does anyone know the specific white that the painted area is? Brand/Color?
        We have No Plan and we're sticking to it...,

Comment

There is a bright white paint from POR, 2K Urethane White that is on the money color wise. It's a two pack poly urethane paint, that is with a hardener. Clean up any corrosion spots with their rust products first, then use the 2K white over the top. I removed the 2" strip on the edge of the rear side wall superstructure and had them powder coated gloss white and that matches, or you could paint them too. Or keep going down the alum top area around/above the salon windows, but my painter just did the back corner and blended/feathered the window top strip in. I did remove the cockpit window rubbers first and masked up the cockpit area/roof for spraying. The salon door was removed and the frame painted separately.

Hope this assists. Cheers
          John H
          Brisbane QLD Aust
          "Harbor-nating"

Comment

John,

Did you remove the canvas snaps from the frames or just mask around them?

Steve
            2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
            12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
            MV Kia Orana
            Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Steve, I took them off. I was having some corrosion pitting around the fasteners on the alum, so removed, then bogged the pitted area/holes, sanded, primed, then put the 2 pack epoxy poly urethane paint on top.

When I put the fasteners back, I cut an oval spacer (same exact size as fastener) of very thin clear plastic to sit between the s/s fitting and alum bulkhead and put Tefgel in the new drilled hole and s/s screw thread. That stuff seems a good corrosion inhibitor and seems to have solved the problem.

Cheers
              John H
              Brisbane QLD Aust
              "Harbor-nating"

Comment

Did your painter spray it on? You mention feathering....?
                We have No Plan and we're sticking to it...,

Comment

It was a spray job, although the POR paint does flow to wash out brush marks. But spray is better. On the "feathering", provided the color match is close to perfect, rather than masking a hard line, masking off an extended area and "wafting" the spray down towards the mask can then allow the new paint to be polished/rubbed in so lines become indistinguishable. I guess I have a great painter.

Cheers
                  John H
                  Brisbane QLD Aust
                  "Harbor-nating"

Comment

Working...
                  X