Bahamas in a Bayliner 28 Sun Bridge?-gctid813026

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bahamas in a Bayliner 28 Sun Bridge?-gctid813026

Anybody taken a Bayliner 2855 or 2850 Sun Bridge to the Bahamas? If you did how was your experience? Thank you, JC
    Looking for my next boat. Down sizing!
    SE KY & Key Largo
    1998 Sea Ray 450 DA (Sold)
    2005 Glacier Bay 2685 (Sold)

"JC3" post=813026 wrote:
    Anybody taken a Bayliner 2855 or 2850 Sun Bridge to the Bahamas? If you did how was your experience? Thank you, JC
    NO disrespect or put-down intended. As one who was a volunteer boating safety guy in the Coast Guard auxiliary, I will say this: the limiting factor is: the loose nut piloting the boat. When boaters had a problem, we were the one's who had to go get them. That's where I am coming from.

The boat is fine. However, going to the Bahamas yourself is fraught with peril. Let me explain.

There is something called the Gulf Stream which is an ocean current and can run between 3 and 4 knots, and is nearly perpendicular to you intended course.. That said, the distance to Bimini from Ft. Lauderdale is about 52 NM. The stream is a factor for 50 of those miles. A bit of arithmetic. Figuring at 20 knots, its about 2.5 hours. That times 4 knots, is about 10 miles off course. Bimini is very flat and small, so you may miss it. Next stop: Bermuda, and only if you are very lucky.

The customary wind is from the Northeast, which is opposite the 4 knot gulf stream. The wind-current combo sets up 2-4' seas a lot when crossing. 20 knots under those conditions is brutal and you have to slow down. Error increases.

Parts: almost non-existent. If your boat breaks down, either the part(s) would have to be flown in from Lauderdale or the boat goes home on the deck of a freighter. Moreover, there's a tax on anything brought into the Bahamas. Even on parts you bought to fix your boat..

My suggestion: goggle Bimini Fling. Its a Bahamas tourism sponsored group going over there, with Bahamas officials accompling the group to handle paperwork and help with problems. I am a licensed master, with 30 years of boating experience (back then) and have taught boat handling and seamanship for the C G Auxiliary. I went with the group. Does that tell you something?

Oh, yes. Don't tell me that you have a GPS and won't get lost. It, too, is dependent on the user skill.
    Captharv 2001 2452
    "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply. I was more interested in the stability at anchor and other living characteristics of this model. I have made the trip 7 times going as far as the Ragged Islands. Took a Glacier Bay 2685 3 times and a Sea Ray 450 DA 4 times. We love the Exumas and Long Island. Looking forward to going back. Because of health issues we sold the 450 Da last summer with the purpose of downsizing. The layout of the 28-32 Bayliners is really attractive. That why I was looking at some first hand experience with this boat in the Bahamas. I hope someone has done this and give me their thoughts on how it did. JC
      SE KY & Key Largo

Comment

Anybody with a 2850/2855 have any thoughts on this boat that has used it for a long vacation or so. Interested if it is stable at anchor and

shower area sufficient. Any other thoughts on its (living on) characteristics. Thanks, JC
        SE KY & Key Largo

Comment

We had a 2855 for a short time. It was an excellent handling boat, but not very comfortable for extended periods. The refrigerator was a joke and the galley was very cramped with an alcohol stove that was not very good.

For two retired people, it was just too small.

Ron
          Midnight Star
          1996 3587
          Twin diesels, Hino 250's
          Ladysmith, BC
          History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Comment

Thanks Ron thats the kind of information i am looking for. JC
            SE KY & Key Largo

Comment

How about moving up to a 30 footer with twin engine?
              Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
              Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
              93 3058 sold
              92 2855 (day boat)
              91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

isn't it true Bayliner is not selling Cruisers in this county anymore?

Would love to get a twin (I have a 2855, 2011 model), but not a used one.

Mike

Comment

True,

You can get a newer 300 SB or 325 SB...these will be the newest express cruiser style you'll find.

Buddy has a 2009 300 SB w twin 4.3 MPIs.
                  Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                  Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                  93 3058 sold
                  92 2855 (day boat)
                  91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                  Longbranch WA
                  Life is Good

Comment

Working...
                  X