Renting movies for areas with no WiFi-gctid812811

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting movies for areas with no WiFi-gctid812811

Hello all, We used to be able to rent and download a bunch of movies from iTunes in advance of leaving for our longer boat trips where we would be without WiFi (except for cellular Wifi) and we would have 30 days to watch them/ 48 hours per movie only once we started each one. Now when you rent from iTunes, you only have 48 hours to watch each movie once they are downloaded. We can't wait and download each movie once we're out over cellular because of the cost, so we are in search of an alternate service to iTunes.

Any suggestions? Again, we're Canadian, so probably limited to Canadian versions.

Thanks in advance.
    1991 57 Widebody Tollycraft "Solana"
    Formerly:
    Ladysmith, BC
    Michelle

Look at a cool app I use called "PlayOn" - If you pay the lifetime "membership" (I think it was $30) you can download from any source you have (Amazon, Hulu, iTunes, Netflix, HBO, Network TV, Etc). Put them away for win you're afloat and you're all set.If you play back through their viewer (included) you can skip all commercials as well.

PlayOn
    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

I do not know if this is available in Canada.

I have an Amazon Kindle Fire HD. I can rent movies and download them. As I recall, the rental period does not start until I start watching the movie. Morever, Amazon has made a few TV series that are pretty interesting.

I connect the Kindle to the TV on the boat using a cable that has a mini-HDMI plug on the Kindle end and an HDMI plug on the TV end. I believe that the connectivity of the current Kindle Fire tablets is different.
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA
      Isla Verde, PR

Comment

I've downloaded movies onto an Ipad from Netflix. Maybe try that.
        2007 Discovery 246
        300mpi BIII
        Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

"706jim" post=812824 wrote:
          I've downloaded movies onto an Ipad from Netflix. Maybe try that.
          +1 tried it out on the plane ride to Hawaii and back.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Try a Retro Pi with KODI networked to an onboard wireless media server. All my games,music,movies etc. all in one place and accessible from all my other devices!
            Grey and Catherine Wilfong
            KE5MWM and KE5MWK
            '91 2655 Ciera Sunbridge
            "Water Woof"

Communications First, Soldiers Always

Comment

I found I was spending about $4 per DVD rental on redbox by the time I got back to shore and returned the movies. A season of that and I just decided to enact an "under $5 rule" for Amazon. DVDs are so cheap on Amazon that every time I think of a movie I like, I check Amazon. If it's under $5, I just buy it. Over $6, I let it sit in my list for a while. DVDs are durable and waterproof and on a TV that's smaller than my home screen, I don't mind the non-HD. Plus, guests have fun flipping through the selections and pulling out movies to watch. Just an idea for you.

Comment

We are going to buy a Hopper Go External Hard drive. Record on it what ever you want from home and take it with you. It holds one Tbyte and is small.

Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
                New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
                GO HAWKS!

Comment

1 Tbyte HD passport, just plug it in, no DVD player needed.

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                  Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                  93 3058 sold
                  92 2855 (day boat)
                  91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                  Longbranch WA
                  Life is Good

Comment

Thank you so much everyone! I have some homework to do.
                    1991 57 Widebody Tollycraft "Solana"
                    Formerly:
                    Ladysmith, BC
                    Michelle

Comment

What I did:

A while back we gave daughter a DVD recorder. She went cable and it has a built in digital recorder in it, so she gave the DVD rec to me. It is in NTSC format, however, it has baseband inputs and outputs. (Red, white and yellow for right, left and video). I choose movies from the cable channels and record on the digital recorder built in the cable box. Then, I play that into the DVD recorder and onto a DVD.

We boat in a few places which do not have TV reception because of high (100-150') trees around it, and its 40-50 miles from the transmitting tower. Right now I have 150 movies and other interest recordings.

From what a lawyer said, as long as I don't sell them to others, I am legal.

now that said, these DVD recorders are available in garage sales, cheap. Saw one for $10 in working condition. And nowadays, with internet, getting a users manual is relatively easy.
                      Captharv 2001 2452
                      "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Working...
                      X