Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seafair 2017-gctid812775

Anyone going?

I've never been, but would like to take the 32xx down. Looks like 90 miles by water so a 10 hour day. Is it worth going if you don't have a spot on the logboom? Can you anchor anywhere on the lakes?
    Esteban
    Huntington Beach, California
    2018 Element 16
    Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
    Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

We will be on the log boom. The boat will be in Lake Washington for the week prior because our Yacht Club has a cruise to Bell Harbor the weekend before. Lucky for me, my sister has her own dock I can use. I have stayed at Coulon park in Renton, but that was over 30 years ago and not during Seafair. There are marinas with transient moorage, if you have the "Burgee Book" it has the list. Also, if you are a member of a Yacht Club there is lots of reciprocal docks available.

You can anchor in Andrews Bay but, as I understand it, only for a day or two. You can tie to the boom free until Sunday and there are some races on Saturday plus the Blues practicing. They are really touchy about boats "trolling" outside of the log boom, and everything on the water stops during the Blue Angels show.

Leaving on Sunday is some of the roughest water the lake sees, especially around the bridges. I recommend doing the locks on Monday. IMO, it should be a whole lot hectic. That's my plan, then I'll be motoring up to Everett.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

So Thu-Sat the log boom is free and on a first come basis? If so I may have to take Friday off and try to get there early enough to snag a spot to watch the Blues!
      2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
      Seattle, WA

Comment

Seafair Logboom

is reserved for paying customers from

6:00 a.m. Friday, through 6:00 p.m. Sunday,
        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
        93 3058 sold
        92 2855 (day boat)
        91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
        Longbranch WA
        Life is Good

Comment

I'm reading item one a bit differently, that non credentialed boats may be asked to leave if room is needed for a credentialed boat. I'm probably wrong given the rest of the rules.

http://www.seafair.com/modalucloader...ascx&dfiid=360
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

They sell spots fri-sun. If you didn't pay you will be asked to leave.

We used to do the logboom when friday was free and you watched the hydros and blue angles "practice".

Every little hidey hole to tie is occupied if you plan ahead you can find them. Day of plan on a lot of searching and be prepared to anchor in less than ideal situation. YC reciprocity got me water and a couple hours of charging but they technically closed reciprocity on Seafair for own members who don't moore in the lake but space was open and guy that was there took pity on us after several guests went through water faster than expected.

Most of the lake is deep so there aren't many spots that are viable and only Andrews is legal. In my younger days I might have anchored in other places for the night but not during Seafair weekend.
            1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
            1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
            Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Going through the locks, lake union, montlake,

No wake zone all the way thru will take some time.

Enter through the east high rise I90, otherwise you'll be routed back.

You can only anchor stay overnight at Andrews bay/ coulan park. Next day morning, you must move your boat to south of Andrews bay again then reanchor.
              Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
              93 3058 sold
              92 2855 (day boat)
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

Andrews Bay has 3 night limit. Make sure you stay within the parallelogram-shaped anchor zone on the east side of the bay.

Comment

I've been going to Seafair for about 25 yrs now and have never ponied up the money for the logboom. It's just too much for me to justify but then again, maybe I don't know what I'm missing. My plan has always been to anchor in Juanita Bay north of Kirkland and motor down to just north of the I-90 floating bridge (mind the restricted area- well defined by buoys) and anchor as close to the middle of the span as I can. This provides an awesome view of the Blue Angels and after the show I move south of the bridge for the party.

Some caveats:

If your main objective is to actually see the hydro races, pay the money and get on the logboom. You can't see anything but roostertails otherwise.

Every moron with a boat and a drinking problem will be there. Expect every boat you see to do the unexpected.

Every Marine law-enforcement unit in the Puget Sound region, and the USCG will also be there and will board and inspect your boat at the slightest provocation. Don't give them any; but more importantly make sure your vessel is in compliance and you'll have nothing to worry about.

+1 to P/C Pete about the locks. Again, they're a zoo on Sunday night with the aforementioned boaters trying to transit the locks and it seems at times that their life will be over if they don't get ahead of you. Pack your patience and pay attention to the lock attendants- they've seen it all and they know what they're doing. Being prepared with lines and a crew with a game plan for last-minute instruction changes helps everyone as well.
                  Drew Haas
                  1998 4788 "Painkiller"

Comment

Another note on anchoring in Andrews over that weekend: Although you can stay multiple nights, you probably won't rest super easy. It's a very, very crowded anchorage and you've got to be prepared for wind changes and inexperienced boaters.

Comment

+1 most crowded anchorage you'll ever deal with,

Next day morning it gets even crazier.

Yachtie, resolved your issue?
                      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                      93 3058 sold
                      92 2855 (day boat)
                      Longbranch WA
                      Life is Good

Comment

While I have not been down for a few years, it can be worth a one time experience. Unless things have changed in the last two years.

if anchoring in Andrews Bay you must be out of the bay by 8:00am each day of the event. They will open it up later in the day for over night anchoring.

If you are not on the log boom you must be completely out of the area from the 90 bridge to the park peninsula during the blue angels.

If you are on the log boom you cannot leave the boom during the day and you are not allowed to use a dinghy.

Log boom position is first come festival style.

My biggest resistance to the boom is I like to tour the lake and also many of my guests can't stay all day.
                        4788 PH 2001, Cummins 370's

MMSI: 338013392
                        Call sign: Sea Daze

Exploring the Salish Sea

Comment

Hmmm, really sounds like a PITA...
                          Esteban
                          Huntington Beach, California
                          2018 Element 16
                          Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
                          Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

If you don't want to deal with crowds but still want to see the Blue Angels, you can watch them take off and land from the Boeing Museum of Flight - it isn't the log boom but its still a great experience. They do a walk out ceremony and start the planes up about 20 feet from you (bring ear protection), they do a couple of flybys and you get a good look at the pilots and crew. When the "Fat Albert" plane is along with them they do an emergency short landing which is also quite impressive. Two years ago we were able to find parking relatively nearby less than 30 minutes before takeoff, but I'd recommend getting there earlier - make a day of it and see the museum.

In the past you could park on Mercer Island and walk out on the I-90 floating bridge - but I've heard that won't be possible this year.
                            1998 Bayliner 2858
                            7.4L MPI / Bravo III
                            Harbour Village Marina - Kenmore WA

Comment

I was the FAA inspector in charge of the SeaFair airshow in 2013 and 2014. I worked it from the Blue Angel's centerpoint boat in 2011 and 2012. The logboom is a zoo. You will not get to watch from the I-90 bridge. If you have a friend with waterfront property on the west shore of Mercer, that would be a good place to watch, but don't even think about getting in the water over there. You'll be spotted. The best way to see it is to be a volunteer. The prime volunteer spots are the people doing water taxis to the centerpoint dock and the Blue Angels boat (of course). The best view of any is had by the volunteer who has the crowd right boat. This boat parks (via thrusters and GPS) on the high-speed show line to help mark a line between his boat and the centerpoint barge. The jets aim for him. He is limited to 3 people on his boat for crew.

SeaFair 2012 My youngest was recruited as a volunteer while I was working. That was a tough 4 days.

Attached files

Bryan
                              1997 2858 7.4 B2
                              1992 Hewescraft
                              Puyallup, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X