Closed cooling-disadvantages?-gctid812709

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closed cooling-disadvantages?-gctid812709

I'm thinking of installing a closed cooling system in my mercruiser 350, 2011 Ciera 2855 Bravo III.

I keep reading all the advantages of doing such a system. Was wondering if there were any disadvantages besides the cost..which I find very reasonable.

Mike

"MikeACY" post=812709 wrote:
    I'm thinking of installing a closed cooling system in my mercruiser 350, 2011 Ciera 2855 Bravo III.

I keep reading all the advantages of doing such a system. Was wondering if there were any disadvantages besides the cost..which I find very reasonable.

Mike
    other than the cost of the heat exchanger package, no matter how hard you look you wont find any disavantages to a closed loop system.

NU LIBERTE'
    Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
    5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
    N2K equipped throughout..
    2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
    2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
    '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

If there are any negatives, benefits far outweigh them.
      Jeff & Tara
      (And Ginger too)
      Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
      "GetAway"
      Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Am I wrong here, but isn't the biggest advantage of closed cooling sytem the isolation of the cooling agent that runs through the engine? If your running in a fresh water lake or river why would you need closed cooling? If your running in salt water, it will greatly extend the life of your engine.
        1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
        2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
        2019 Cobia 240 CC
        2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
        1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

Where do you run your boat? Fresh or salt water? IMO the only disadvantage might be the added weight of the new parts (wouldn't let that keep me from installing one, wouldn't be much) lake and river water aren't corrosive like salt water but there will still be no corrosion/rust protection with either running through the system.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I run my boat mostly in salt/brackish water. Closed system would extend the engine/manifold lives I believe. I find the cost to be approx $1000 for the "kit". I'm pretty handy (not bragging) so I will do it myself. How long will

it take to do a 350 mag mpi?

Mike

Comment

Probably half a day or less depending on who knows what you might run into. You've had salt through the system already?? From what I understand you'll only be able to reduce the corrosion within that has already started. Personally I'd still do it. A chemical cooling system flush before the install and then changing the coolant a few times afterwards wouldn't hurt.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556

Misc. projects thread

Comment

Are there "good" closed systems, and "not so good ones" when I consider which to purchase?

Mercruiser makes them?

Thanks

Mike

Comment

San Juan Engineering. Got mine from Michigan Motorz.
                  Jeff & Tara
                  (And Ginger too)
                  Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                  "GetAway"
                  Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

"Jeffw" post=812870 wrote:
                    +1 Seems to be the go to company for closed cooling systems.

FYI If you go with a full closed system you'll be including the exhaust manifolds and spacers in the EG loop, you'll likely never have to replace them again. A part closed system will not include the exhaust components.
                    Dave
                    Edmonds, WA
                    "THE FIX"
                    '93 2556

Misc. projects thread

Comment

Good to know..thanks!

Comment

Additional advantage of the closed cooling is that the engine runs at the best temperature for optimal lubrication and bearing clearances. It was designed to run hotter than 145 degrees temperature of raw water cooled engines. Also, probably the most common cause of the premature engine death is water intrusion through the manifold/riser/elbow gaskets. With closed cooling you get an early signs of the problem in the form of lower coolant level in the expansion bowl. And a blown head gasket will manifest itself with bubbles in the heat exchanger, much easier to see than with raw water cooling.
                        Alex
                        1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
                        1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

Comment

salt or fresh water, a closed loop is a dedicated cooling system with additives to keep the circulation pump lubricated, to keep rust and corrosion from forming in the block and to keep it from freezing. and it also keeps any dirt and debris out of the engine.... just like a heat exchanger that needs cleaned periodically, an engine without one should be disassembled and cleaned, but it never happens until an over heat problem develops.

all things being equal, a raw water cooled engine will always have a shorter overall life span than a freshwater cooled engine...

NU LIBERTE'
                          Salem, OR

Comment

"Jeffw" post=812870 wrote:
                            +1...

NU LIBERTE'
                            Salem, OR

Comment

If you get an unexpected early cold snap the worst case scenario with closed cooling is likely a blown heat exchanger, without you've just lost your engine block.
                              1998 Bayliner 2858
                              7.4L MPI / Bravo III
                              Harbour Village Marina - Kenmore WA

Comment

Working...
                              X