Trim Position Switch only 1/2 way-gctid812426

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trim Position Switch only 1/2 way-gctid812426

My bravo 3 outdrive will go all the way the up and down ranges of motion, but the gauge only reads 1/2 way down when it's all the way down.

Can I just take the trim position switch apart and clean it, or what do you guys recommend doing in this case since it's apparently just the gauge?
    2002 Bayliner Capri Sport 195 Mercruiser 5.0L Alpha I Gen II

Adjust the STBD side trim sender.
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

Or forget the gauge and trim by feel/sound
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I tried that, but no matter how far or which way I turn it, the gauge won't register it being more than 1/2 way down.

Btw the starboard side is the one in question. The port side trim limit switch is working fine.

Comment

As Ruffyryder said, adjust the puck-sized/shaped trim sender on the stdb side. You need to get in the water or have the board on dryland to do this. Adjustment is very "finicky", move the puck a bit, check full range operation and how it shows on the gauge and repeat as necessary.

Good luck.
          Retired, computer expert / executive
          Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
          Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
          D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
          [email protected]
          [email protected]

Comment

Am I missing something with this adjustment? I have turned (the puck thing on the starboard side of the drive) it in every direction in big increments and again in small increments and despite the outdrive being down, the gauge still says it's 1/2 way up.

Comment

Forget the gauge....they are historically inaccurate.
              Vic Stewart SN
              Past Commander
              Cape Fear Power Squadron
              Ft Myers Power Squadron
              1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
              Raw water cooled

Comment

"Vic Stewart" post=812445 wrote:
                Forget the gauge....they are historically inaccurate.
                I'm selling this boat. So, I'm trying to make sure everything works on it. Otherwise I probably wouldn't care.

Comment

The sender (puck) is likely no good.
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  '93 2556
                  Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                  Misc. projects thread
                  https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

"builderdude" post=812467 wrote:
                    Thank you. Any way to fix this without removing the outdrive?

Comment

"SaltyBones" post=812474 wrote:
                      "builderdude" post=812467 wrote:
                      Thank you. Any way to fix this without removing the outdrive?
                      Not really! However, I thought your initial msg said it showed but only showed 1/2 way down when it was fully down. Check and adjust your sender puck (on the port side). You can google for instructions.
                      [email protected]
                      [email protected]

Comment

That is correct...it's shows 1/2 down when all the way down.

I am confused now. Should I be focusing on the puck on port side or starboard side? I thought the gauge on the dash had to do with the trim position switch on the starboard side?

Comment

One sets the limits (electrically) and the other displays it. Both need to be properly adjusted.
                          [email protected]
                          [email protected]

Comment

"MonteVista" post=812501 wrote:
                            One sets the limits (electrically) and the other displays it. Both need to be properly adjusted.
                            Right...it is my understanding the one on the port side of the drive is the trim limiter switch and the one on the starboard side is the trim position switch (the one that tells the gauge what to read).

The one of the left appears to function properly as the outdrive raises and lowers through its full ranges of motion. It's the trim position switch that appears to be misbehaving and not telling the gauge the proper location.

I believe the one on the port side needs to have the drive removed to be replaced. The question is, if the trim position one (on the starboard side) can be replaced without removing the drive. Thoughts?

Comment

"SaltyBones" post=812505 wrote:
                              "MonteVista" post=812501 wrote:
                              Right...it is my understanding the one on the port side of the drive is the trim limiter switch and the one on the starboard side is the trim position switch (the one that tells the gauge what to read).

The one of the left appears to function properly as the outdrive raises and lowers through its full ranges of motion. It's the trim position switch that appears to be misbehaving and not telling the gauge the proper location.

I believe the one on the port side needs to have the drive removed to be replaced. The question is, if the trim position one (on the starboard side) can be replaced without removing the drive. Thoughts?
                              Just my 2 cents, but when you hit STB bow down, the port trim tab moves down. ....and visa versa.
                              "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                              MMSI: 367637220
                              HAM: KE7TTR
                              TDI tech diver
                              BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                              Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X