Is it rude to ask your guests to wipe their feet? Really?-gctid812353

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it rude to ask your guests to wipe their feet? Really?-gctid812353

So I just spent most of my free time for the past week cleaning my boat trying to get it ready for the season. Yes it is an older boat but I want people to wipe their feet on a damp towel before coming aboard. Is that to much to ask? The deck is white it is a pain to clean and it shows everything. JUST wipe your feet prior to coming on deck. Is this crazy, am I over reacting?

Your boat, you are the captain, your rules. Wiping feet could be encouraged with a nice, big 'Welcome Aboard' mat.
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

Comment

It is not completely unreasonable but realize that your decks are going to show foot prints no matter what.
      1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
      1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Id think boat owners would not/should not be offended, non boat owners likely don't realize how quickly a boat can become marked up with chit off their shoes. My boats an older not so shinny one, I still want to minimize the tracking of shoe debris everywhere.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I've seen shoes off boats. Not my idea of safety to get out on the well waxed narrow side decks in fuzzy socks, but I've seen it. I couldn't keep my mouth shut on that one and suggested she go barefoot or have specific "on the boat only" shoes. Trying to keep a boat clean in the first place without adding tracked in sand and stuff.

How about a subtle, humorous mat similar to the "wipe your paws before entering"? How about "our decks need clean soles"? Or "keep the captain in a good mood, rub shoes here vigorously here before boarding" "shoe stowaway prevention station".

End of the day, your boat, Admirals Rules.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

I don't think it's unreasonable at all. I tell the women to remove their tops as well. It hasn't worked yet but I'm an optimist
            2015 Bayliner 175
            3.0L, Alpha 1
            Paradise, NL, Canada

Comment

Definitely not rude but can be read as a bit petty by guests who don't understand the hours we put into cleaning and polishing.

I don't really bother to ask anymore, I just clean afterwards or don't invite them back . Simple as that.

Comment

All my friends old or new, experts in boating, novices or tourists..... shoes stay on the dock. end
                Eric
                Bayliner 3988 1995 Hino 250hp

Comment

When I started boating (before the earth cooled) many decks were varnished. Removing shoes were common.

No it isn't wrong to ask guests to wipe their feet.

You invite who you want. If someone is offended by the request, well you wouldn't want to invite someone who would be offended.

Doug
                  Started boating 1955
                  Number of boats owned 32
                  Bayliners
                  3870 presently owned
                  Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

In Canada, it is customary for people to remove their shoes before entering a home.

In America, not so much although it is requested in Hawaii.
                    2007 Discovery 246
                    300mpi BIII
                    Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Very simple: Its your boat your rules. State the rules before they enter. If they wine and moan, deny entry.
                      Captharv 2001 2452
                      "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

I like this one the best, I could say they have a choice the top or the shoes. Ha ha ha....of course the Admiral wouldn't find it as funny.

Comment

It's my experience that newbies to boating usually admit they don't know but want to do the right thing; they actually want to know what you want them to do.

Either way, I politely tell all those coming to my boat what the protocols are, then give them the option of whether it is worth it to them to comply.

I like the top idea too. :woohoo:
                          "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                          MMSI: 367637220
                          HAM: KE7TTR
                          TDI tech diver
                          BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                          Kevin

Comment

I remember doing a burial at sea with about 30 people , women wearing high heels waking across the teak swim grid that was not a solid surface but sort of a grate full of holes

Yes the priest wanted to dump from the upper bridge Duh

Told him to go back to the swim grid and wait for my signal to pour so I would be into the wind

Did he listen NOOOO

People just don't know any better and you have to ask them to respect your wants.

Speak up

On the boat we have now it is like a home People take their shoes off or have a new pair of runners they just wear on the boat

Socks are okay but if you go on the outside decks they pick up stuff that gets tracked back inside

The previous owner of our boat would make people wear white gloves ---a little over the edge "but they did"

Comment

You could do as we do on Mr. Darcy and my neighbor does the same, there is a mat on the dock, a mat on the swim platform, one entering the cockpit and one just inside the door. Even if they don't get it by seeing the mats, they have at least walked on them and that helps to keep the boat a bit cleaner.

Greg
                              Newport, Oregon
                              South Beach Marina
                              1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
                              Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
                              Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X