Remove Grease/Tar from Bumper-gctid812154

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove Grease/Tar from Bumper-gctid812154

I went out today and gave the ol girl a good teeth whiting this weekend. The boat as shiny as she's even, except these marks that one of my bumpers have been giving on the stern. It's caused by this greasy tar looking substance around the top (see photo). It's sticky as hell. I took it home today to see if I can clean it. I tried a some clorox spray and a scrub brush already. No dice. I thought about sticking it in the sink full of water and bleach for a while. Not sure if that'll work. Maybe some isopropyl alcohol? Any suggestions? It's still a good bumper. I'd hate to turf it.

2001 Bayliner Ciera 2455 5.7 Merc MPI, Bravo 3
    2009 Subaru WRX STI
    2017 stick with a nail on the end of it

Victoria, BC

Try WD40, it works good getting pitch off of car paint etc.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

So I stopped into a marine supplies store this week, asking if they had anything to clean this. I started to explain the situation, when the guy stopped and and asked "Is your boat moored near Sidney, BC." I said yes. He said, over the last few years, they've had a number of customers in the area get the exact same thick tar-like material on bumpers, hulls and other things. No one seems to know what it is or what causes it. He said some people speculated at the idea that the airport is near by and all the planes take off directly over the marinas in that area and that something from the planes might be causing this stuff. The other idea was that the BC ferries terminal is very close and that something they are discharging could be the culprit as well but no one knows for sure.

Either way, this stuff just isn't coming off. I've tried some bleach type cleaning products. I tried some citrus based stuff too with no results. My concern isn't so much about saving the fender, but I have a fairly large mark on my hull where that bumper was rolling against. I don't want to put down a new bumper until i get that cleaned off the hull. The guy at the store suggested acetone or paint thinner, but I'm not sure if that's good for the hull. I feel like I'm going to need something strong to get this stuff off...
      2009 Subaru WRX STI

Victoria, BC

Comment

Try a cleaner that you use to clean the BBQ or an oven cleaner on the bumper. You could also try dish soap on the boat and the fender. Acetone does attack gelcoat so be careful with it. It evaporates so fast it might not have time to work.

Ken

I'm in Winnipeg right now and the tree sap is horrible the window washer fluid does cut into it might try that.

The dandelion seeds are in the air now here's a car that looks tarred and feathered. He cleaned the windshield took him 10 minutes.

300SD all options sold.

Comment

I have used acetone for years on the hull/rubber bumpers with no issues. Sometimes I rinse it off, sometimes I don't. I always put a coat of wax on the getcoat after..nothing on the white rubber bumpers

Comment

Acetone won't hurt your gelcoat, keep it off anything that's been painted
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556

Misc. projects thread

Comment

Acetone is the only thing I 've seen take of creosote. I use it on my fenders and shore power cord
              Tally and Vicki
              "Wickus" Meridian 341
              MMSI 338014939

Comment

I used inflatable boat cleaner on my fenders. Got rid of the mud and crud. I guess those overpriced fender covers might be good for preventing this. I keep pointing them out to the Admiral. Her reaction is always that she can whip those out in no time, complete with the boat name embroidered on them. I'm waiting.......
                P/C Pete
                Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                MMSI 367770440

Comment

"Pcpete" post=813477 wrote:
                  I used inflatable boat cleaner on my fenders. Got rid of the mud and crud. I guess those overpriced fender covers might be good for preventing this. I keep pointing them out to the Admiral. Her reaction is always that she can whip those out in no time, complete with the boat name embroidered on them. I'm waiting.......
                  Im next please :silly: :lol:
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  '93 2556

Misc. projects thread

Comment

Bleach is won't do anything for grease or oil base stains. Citrus bought at a retail store probably won't have enough "punch" either. Best bet would be the "solvent" route...acetone, paint thinner, or even some sort of industrial solvent/degreaser. Could always try some kerosene as well. WD40 may remove it, but will probably leave a greasy film...regardless what you try, try it on a small area on the bottom of the bumper first for color fastness
                    Lake Hartwell, GA
                    2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                    1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                    1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
                    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
                    1996 SeaDoo GTX
                    1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

Looks like bunker C oil to me. I first encountered little balls of this stuff in the Bahamas on the beaches there. I would try mineral spirits (Varsol) to remove the residue.
                      2007 Discovery 246
                      300mpi BIII
                      Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

I use SOS pads. They work well, but will dull the finish, if that's a concern. My fenders are white, so not a big deal:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...a6MBAQljnuzyrA
                        Mike & Dixi
                        2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
                        Closed Cooling

Comment

So, I bought some Acetone and tried to get this stuff off the bumper and no luck. I even let it soak for a while. This bumper will not be used on my boat again. Now I just need to figure out how I am going to get the marks off the side of the boat. I'll try the acetone this weekend, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd love to know what the heck this stuff is....
                          2009 Subaru WRX STI

Victoria, BC

Comment

Try Mr Clean scrubby pads. I use them on my bumpers and they clean right up, even the sun damaged top cleans up. Slime, grease, soot all come off and they shine. Careful using them on gelcoat. They will scratch it like a scrubby pad does. Whatever the soap in the scrubby pad is really cleans up bumpers and dock cords.

The other item you might try to use is Inflatable Boat Cleaner. I have some plastic parts on my Inflatable that are getting long in the tooth (sticky & grimy) that nothing would clean. This stuff took it all off and made it shinny.

This is what I used. but there are other brands on the market:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...tant--10179182

Of course, after a while, the bumpers just don't clean up very good. Especially the sun damaged tops. I am finding that the Polyform sun damage when the Taylor Made of the same age don't. I just bought 4 new Taylor Made to replace the sun damaged Polyform ones that came with the boat 2 years ago. They hold air fine, but the sun damaged (sticky) tops are scuffing up and getting the hull sticky with what the stuff is made of.
                            1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
                            S. Puget Sound

Comment

Working...
                            X