VR5 Boat Cover Gaps-gctid812102

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VR5 Boat Cover Gaps-gctid812102

Hello, VR5 boat cover I notice there are gaps where the wake tower connects to the boat (see pictures). Not sure if this is normal or if I'm doing something wrong but seems like it could let a fair amount of rain water in.

Attached files

My one is exactly the same!
    2017 Bayliner VR5

Comment

My dealer's response about this when I brought it up was this was normal. It prevents the cover from rubbing against the tower in the event you trailer with the covers on and avoids damaging the cover or paint on the tower. They then also added that the cockpit was self bailing and that the speaker was waterproof. I told them this wasn't acceptable and want them to fix this.

This was there solution.

I'm also NOT a fan of having the second cockpit cover pole positioned right over the rear bench seat cooler, my dealer's solution was to provide me with a battery box lid to put on the cushion and have the pole sitting on it. I found my own solution and had them pay for them. I order two of these to replace the poles for the cockpit cover. These are pulleys suspension system for boat with towers. When I install them I'll post pics of them on my VR5

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...EMAeDtdg4uK6jA

Attached files

Comment

The reponse is nonsense.

The real reason is that the covers are made after patterns and the boats differ in centimeters.

Therefore these cutouts must be very loose, otherwise it could happen that the cover couldn't be snapped on the boat.

Cutouts like these can't be waterproof by 100%, however the cutout can fit very good.

Close the gap like your dealer said and maybe combine it like we did here at a Sealine.

Comment

If its a bowrider version, then water will also flood in through the gaps either side of the walk through area, where the cockpit cover and the bow cover are fastened at the bottom of the screen, if you have fitted carpets then take them up or they will get soaked.
          Current Boat: 2016 Bayliner VR6 4.5L 250
          Previous Boat: 2015 Bayliner 175 3.0L TKS 135

Comment

haha that gap is small compared to my 2016 215DB. i have the same tower. my solution was to cut a swimming noodle to fit the hole. Mexican craftsmanship at its finest.
            2016 Bayliner 215DB
            4.5l 250hp Bravo 3
            2016 Yamaha VZ Cruiser HO

Comment

Correct - Something I discovered after a week of raining and was able to gain access to inside the boat, I'll admit I was shocked to find that amount of water inside and due to visible water spots I could see that water did come in from that location you mentioned. I ordered my VR5 with the Grey flooring mat so water on floor isn't a big deal. But what happens now is water comes in front there (just one of the places it comes in) and flows over the in-floor ski locker and gets trapped inside the channel of the opening.

Comment

"freechip" post=812431 wrote:
                Correct - Something I discovered after a week of raining and was able to gain access to inside the boat, I'll admit I was shocked to find that amount of water inside and due to visible water spots I could see that water did come in from that location you mentioned. I ordered my VR5 with the Grey flooring mat so water on floor isn't a big deal. But what happens now is water comes in front there (just one of the places it comes in) and flows over the in-floor ski locker and gets trapped inside the channel of the opening.
                I keep meaning to take a drill down to the boat to solve this problem, but it really needs to be done using some tubing rather than just letting it run into the locker.

Comment

Mine is the same. Same tower, same cover.

Comment

Same issue here with mine. Good idea with the tube. I think I'll drill and fit a 1/4" or 3/8" tube in the aft end of the channel running down to the pocket in the aft end of the ski locker.

Comment

"Hawk" post=812385 wrote:
                      If its a bowrider version, then water will also flood in through the gaps either side of the walk through area, where the cockpit cover and the bow cover are fastened at the bottom of the screen, if you have fitted carpets then take them up or they will get soaked.
                      That's because you have the wrong cover for a bowrider: get something like this and your boat will be dry.

Comment

Get the boat under canopy....problem, sleepless nights over...

Sometimes it "costs a lot to be THE man"

Wait until you find out that the "automatic bilge pump" is not really automatic...that will really crack your head wide open..
                        Lake Hartwell, GA
                        2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                        1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                        1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
                        1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                        1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                        1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                        1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
                        1996 SeaDoo GTX
                        1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

Bjoern,

You are absolutely correct on one possible (probably the best) solution, however, these are circa 40k boats, so then to add the cost of obtaining a retro fit custom made all over cover is not ideal.

A similar modification Freechip had to his cover next to the tower fixing would also solve the front screen water Ingress problem, these modifications should be addressed at the manufacturing stage, rather than it being done later at the owners or if you are lucky the dealership costs.

Comment

Dealer cost for me

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses. Interesting on the pulleys, I will be interested to see those pictures when you get them installed. Honestly I think the whole rubbing against the boat/towers argument is BS. Bayliner should have covers designed for each boat model that fit snug and let minimal water in.

Comment

Working...
                              X