Engine Hatch Rattle, 246-gctid398051

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Hatch Rattle, 246-gctid398051

I took my 246 for its first relatively long run and overnight stay. The biggest problem, which was admittedly quite small, was engine noise. A major contributor to the noise was the rattle of the engine hatch. When my wife stood on the engine hatch much of the high frequency noise, from the rattling hatch, was eliminated. Unfortunately I couldn't convince her to stand there for the whole trip, much less for the duration of all future trips, so I need another solution.

I was thinking about placing some adhesive backed neoprene near the hatch latches between the hatch and the deck. Problem with this is it will inhibit water movement in the channel around the engine bay. Can anybody suggest a better solution?

A related problem is that my boat seems significantly slower than equivalent boats (see here: http://features.boats.com/boat-conte...at-test-notes/). To hit 20 mph (GPS) the engine has to run at 4,000 rpm. This is on Long Island sound with a relatively small swell. The boat has fresh bottom paint, although it has been in the water for about a month and a half. The engine is a 5.0 mpi. Any suggestions on getting better performance? Top speed is not really an issue, I can't envision going much faster than 20 mph on the sound on most days and will often have to go slower. I would like to get better performance so I could reduce the engine revs. Curious to hear what performance other people get with the same boat.

THose hatch brackets are adjustable. Reduce the clearance and that should help.

You should be getting closer to 30mph at 4000rpm at least with a BIII drive.

Check your bottom for slime. It's amazing what a little will do for performance.
    2007 Discovery 246
    300mpi BIII
    Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Did not know that the brackets were adjustable. Will look into adjusting these. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a bravo III drive. My feeling was that the boat speed was too low and your comments reinforce this. I assume the prop is wrong (the bottom was clean when I first tested the speed). I had assumed that the prop was standard for the boat but I guess I need to look into this. The engine seems to run fine so the only explanation that I can think of is the prop. Do you know if information about the prop is embossed on the prop?

Comment

Mine was an out of true prop.

My SS prop is smooth as butter.
        Tally and Vicki
        "Wickus" Meridian 341
        MMSI 338014939

Comment

harry11733 wrote:
          Did not know that the brackets were adjustable. Will look into adjusting these. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a bravo III drive. My feeling was that the boat speed was too low and your comments reinforce this. I assume the prop is wrong (the bottom was clean when I first tested the speed). I had assumed that the prop was standard for the boat but I guess I need to look into this. The engine seems to run fine so the only explanation that I can think of is the prop. Do you know if information about the prop is embossed on the prop?
          Yes the prop information is on the side of the prop shaft, should be able to see it in clear water. Not sure what year your boat is to determine the proper prop. have a look here http://www.baylinercustomercare.com/ click on parts catalogs enter your info and you should be able to figure it out. hope this helps

Comment

Had a similar problem with my engine hatch which would bounce slightly in rougher water creating noise. I put screw eyes in both the bottom of the hatch cover and the side of the bilge wall and use a heavy black bungee cord to secure the hatch when needed. It stretches enough to allow me to hook it to the eye on the hatch yet keeps the hatch from bouncing.

Comment

706jim wrote:
              THose hatch brackets are adjustable. Reduce the clearance and that should help.

You should be getting closer to 30mph at 4000rpm at least with a BIII drive.

Check your bottom for slime. It's amazing what a little will do for performance.
              I had to adjust mine also when I first picked up the boat. Very easy fix.

Joey
              2007 Discovery 246
              5.0L MPI BRAVO III
              The "BAY-BEA"

Comment

Working...
              X