REED POINT BOAT DAMAGE!-gctid811723

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REED POINT BOAT DAMAGE!-gctid811723

So just last weekend i was at my favorite bay relaxing on the ciera when i started wondering what are these small rust marks all over the boat?!

I just paid to get it cut polished two weeks ago and didn't notice it post job inspection?

Then i got this email yesterday from the marina saying:

We just learned that the CP tracks were ground at night sometime around May 22 or 23. For some reason this grinding created much more metal dust than usual and the dust settled on many boats in the marina. Coupled with moisture it turns to rust and creates a stain on gel coat. Normally CP advises us before they grind but they failed to do so this time.

We urge all boaters to check their boat and clean it without delay in order to minimize or eliminate any damage.

Boaters should consult with their own insurer if they have damage. Each boater's insurer can decide whether to claim subrogation from CP and/or Loram, the grinding company retained by CP.

Anyone else boat affected by this here? And what's your plan on dealing with this?
    2007 285
    350 mpi b3
    Vancouver BC

At least you know where the ,metal dust came from. About two years ago a number of us at our marina had the same problem. We were never able to figure out where it all came from.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA
    Isla Verde, PR

Comment

What did you use to remove the dust rust spots?
      2007 285
      350 mpi b3
      Vancouver BC

Comment

"Ricomoni" post=811765 wrote:
        I haven't found anything that removes them, especially in the non-skid areas.
        Anacortes, WA
        Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Railroad tracks?

I noticed on my boat I have a bunch of rust dust stuck to the deck.
          Esteban
          Huntington Beach, California
          2018 Element 16
          Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
          Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Hi, there are plenty of products available that dissolve rust stains on Gel Coat, for example, Google the YouTube demos of Muriatic Acid or Doctor X they both seem to be easily applied and work well.

What model Is your Ciera ?
            Current Boat: 2016 Bayliner VR6 4.5L 250
            Previous Boat: 2015 Bayliner 175 3.0L TKS 135

Comment

Did you try a bleach- based cleaner like Clorox? I have had success spot-cleaning stains including rust on gel coat.
              Why Naut
              1996 Bayliner 4087
              Twin Cummins 250 HP 6BTA5.9 M2
              Anacortes, WA

MMSI 338311223

Comment

when I worked for union pacific they ran a rail grinder periodically and it was an multiple unit consist-impressive at night (like a fireworks display).They ran a truck behind for fire watch as it could create spot fires.It was covered in slag.This cast-off metal is what is on the boats.Another potential source of contamination is being close to a refinery-they paid damages to people who had their vehicles covered in tar spots from an airborn processing error incident.Acid rain is a human caused problem.

Comment

"Norton Rider" post=811799 wrote:
                  "Ricomoni" post=811765 wrote:
                  I haven't found anything that removes them, especially in the non-skid areas.
                  Look for FSR, (Fiberglass Stain Remover) it is specifically intended for removing stains in fiberglass gel coat and work extremely well on rust. It is a blue gel you rub it on and let it set for about 15 minutes and most stains disappear, on really tough rust stain it may take a few times.

I have also used a spray on rust stain remover generic from Ace hardware that worked well. It was in the household cleaning department.

After cleaning you will want to re wax, it will not harm the gel coat but it does remove the wax and will allow the surface to oxidize (get that chalky coating) if you don't.
                  4788 PH 2001, Cummins 370's

MMSI: 338013392
                  Call sign: Sea Daze

Exploring the Salish Sea

Comment

I'm a Reed Point Marina tenant and my boat was out on the hard and right beside the tracks the night this happened. There was also a major wind storm. Someone in the yard told me about this and I went down and my boat was covered in a 1/8" of this grey dust. I hosed it off the best I could.

When I went back in the water and took a scrub brush and some good boat soap and hand scrubbed the entire top sides of my 38. Took most of a day.

I checked it yesterday and yes, there are tiny rust spot on the whole boat. So I call my insurance adjuster and they told me if I made a claim for a cut wax my deductible would double the next year and years to come. So she said it's not worth it to make a claim and to pay to have it done myself.

AWESOME!!

Comment

On and Off.

Removed the rust stains on my boat from where the PO had used regular screws.
                      Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

I use a product called citrisurf for passivating stainless. It eats ferrous metals and removes rust from stainless. Comes in a gel or liquid.

Im pretty sure it will remove the rust and any iron that is causing the rust. Problem don't get.it on anything with ferrous metal In it.

http://citrisurf.com

There is the link
                        1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                        twin 454's
                        MV Mar-Y-Sol
                        1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                        Twin chevy 350's inboard
                        Ben- Jamin
                        spokane Washington

Comment

Thank you for the hints, its a 2007 ciera. I will call my insurance company this weekend and see what they say.

A deductible should be paid by the railroad company am i right?
                          2007 285
                          350 mpi b3
                          Vancouver BC

Comment

I would file a claim against the railroad company, not your insurance company.
                            Anacortes, WA
                            Isla Verde, PR

Comment

as a former carpet cleaner we used Oxacylic Acid rust remover for spot cleaning rugs, not sure if it will harm the gel coat, but worth a test try on a less visible spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X