Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim_Gandee
    replied
    I was fortunate enough to have a very experienced buddy help me drive her home.
    Everybody knows BS can baffle the brain! Had I been in the fog depicted in your picture I would have been scared witless!

Leave a comment:

• Jeffw
    replied
    Welcome to the BOC Alex, happy to hear you and Jim had a good run down the coast. Hope to meet you this summer and see your new pride and joy...

Leave a comment:

• diveguy
    replied
    Nice boat and sounds like a great trip to bring her home.

Leave a comment:

• Ahaua
    replied
    Cpt. Crunchie, I have so much learning to do so, first of all, practice close quarter maneuvering until I feel comfortable. The overall plan is to enjoy time at the marina, frequent trips to Catalina Island, harbor hop to different marinas south and, eventually venture a little further as I gain more experience. I currently have a few projects that need attention so some work ahead of me along with lots of enjoyment. I pulled off the long bowsprit so I have to fabricate a new one....probably gonna go with the Starboard idea that I've seen on the forum.

Leave a comment:

• CptCrunchie
    replied
    Sweet! Congrats! What do you plan to do with her?

Leave a comment:

• green650
    replied
    Sweet boat! I hope to have one of those in south Florida some day.

Leave a comment:

• Ahaua
    started a topic Finally got her home!-gctid811057

Finally got her home!-gctid811057

Closed escrow on a 2001 3988 on March 31st and we finally got a weather window to bring her home from Oakland, Ca. to Long Beach Ca. Being a new boater, I was fortunate enough to have a very experienced buddy help me drive her home. Our plan was to harbor hop and do about 100 nm per day; we did it over four days and would depart at 0630 each day; we were usually at our next destination by 1400 hrs.; average speed of about 17-18 knots. For the most part, the boat performed flawlessly and seas were mostly calm. What we did encounter was a lot of fog and it had me really spooked in the beginning. Although older technology, the boat does have radar and we had plotted our courses so I learned just how valuable these tools are when visibility is minimal. My plan is to upgrade to a new chart plotter, radar and auto pilot. I also learned the importance of properly prepping the boat mechanically before our voyage. It was a great learning experience for me and I'm excited to start enjoying boating along with the rest of you. And yes, I already have a laundry list of projects...lol..

Attached files

Working...
X