Bilge Pump Operation-gctid810820

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilge Pump Operation-gctid810820

I recently purchased a 1987 2450 Ciera. It has two bilge pumps , front and rear that are tripped by float switches. I have not checked the float switches for proper operation yet but on the dash there is a bilge pump switch. When I turn on the switch I do not hear the pumps. I looked up the wiring scematic and its not clear if the switch overides the float switches or not. Any input or similar experience?
    1987 Bayliner 2450 Ciera,
    Guitarist for EvidenceBlack,
    Boat on Candlewood Lake, Ct.

The dash switch should not over ride anything! It should be a parallel switch to the float-switch so that pump should come on when either is switched. HOWEVER, the dash switch may be wired so it requires the battery switch to be turned ON. Check if the MBSS is ON and then try the dash switch. If pump is not working check wiring, fuse and/or the pump.

Good luck.
    Retired, computer expert / executive
    Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
    Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
    D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Comment

Thanks Monte, Im on my way to the marina now to investigate.

Comment

IMO the helm switch does provide another source of power to the pump so I believe that it technically does override the operation of the float switch. Adding to vistas post: you can check the float switches by simply lifting the switch up with your hand, if no pump operation occurs you'll need to find out why, bad float switch, pump, fuse, or wiring issues.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

One more thing to add to this... Some pumps are very quiet if no water is in the bilge. It is worth getting next to them when turning on the pump (this might take a helper at the helm switch while you are in the bilge near the pump). You might find they are running fine, just quietly. I have two very quiet pumps on my boat if no water is present. They work great if they are in water.
          1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
          S. Puget Sound

Comment

Thanks for all the help fellas. Today I first checked both pumps manually. They both kick on right away when I raise the float switch. Then I flipped on the dash switch and because it was wuiet today at the dock I did hear both pumps turn on. Very quiet pumps and the foward pump looks like it has never seen water. There is only about a cup full of water in the rear bilge and for a 30 year boat I am pleased. Hats off to Bayliner for a dry boat after so long. I had a brand new 1987 Sunrunner 245 Ultra back years ago and the bilge always had a lot more water in it than this 30 year old Ciera has. Thanks again fo all the feedback, this is a really good site.

Comment

Good deal!

original old Johnson pumps in my boat...still going strong, very good quality.
              Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
              Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
              93 3058 sold
              92 2855 (day boat)
              91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

"MonteVista" post=810824 wrote:

1....... The dash switch should not over ride anything! It should be a parallel switch to the float-switch so that pump should come on when either is switched.

2...... HOWEVER, the dash switch may be wired so it requires the battery switch to be turned ON. Check if the MBSS is ON and then try the dash switch. If pump is not working check wiring, fuse and/or the pump.
                [color]blue wrote:

1....... While Bulent is correct........ I have used the term "over-ride" many times.

Let's say that the Float Switch contacts are "open" (no water in bilge = no power to bilge pump).

Now let's say that you turn the helm switch to "on".

The main bilge pump should operate!

So...... in this sense I use the term "over-ride", as in the helm switch is performing the otherwise function of the Float Switch.

2...... And this is exactly why we DO NOT want to use the 3 position Manual/OFF/Auto helm switch.

.[/color]
                Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

"2850Bounty" post=811109 wrote:
                  "MonteVista" post=810824 wrote:

1....... The dash switch should not over ride anything! It should be a parallel switch to the float-switch so that pump should come on when either is switched.

2...... HOWEVER, the dash switch may be wired so it requires the battery switch to be turned ON. Check if the MBSS is ON and then try the dash switch. If pump is not working check wiring, fuse and/or the pump.
                  [color]blue wrote:

1....... While Bulent is correct........ I have used the term "over-ride" many times.

Let's say that the Float Switch contacts are "open" (no water in bilge = no power to bilge pump).

Now let's say that you turn the helm switch to "on".

The main bilge pump should operate!

So...... in this sense I use the term "over-ride", as in the helm switch is performing the otherwise function of the Float Switch.

2...... And this is exactly why we DO NOT want to use the 3 position Manual/OFF/Auto helm switch.

.[/color]
                  I think we are discussing semantics, not technical ability. What I meant by saying "The dash switch should not over ride anything!" was to say it does not replace or override the float switch; it forms an "alternative". When the float switch is OFF (meaning it doesn't matter if you override it or not", you can still turn the pump on with the dash switch.

The real "override" should NOT be allowed as it may lead to bilge pump not coming on when it should.
                  Retired, computer expert / executive
                  Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                  Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                  D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                  [email protected]
                  [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                  X