Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I be able to get this price down to? Special order Bayliner-gctid810287

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I be able to get this price down to? Special order Bayliner-gctid810287

I've never dealt with buying new before. I'm told Bayliners have a bit less room on price, yet just want to make sure I'm not being completely taken by the dealer...

It's for a VR5. Total price after destination and options shows online as $37,903. Rep claimed they can apply some discount, and he'll let me know tomorrow.

Taxes and registration would be pretty standard, and I should watch out for any crazy 'prep' fees?

I have HEARD that you should start at 20% off, and that broadly lines up with the industry profit margin overall. Bayliner specific, i would never expect that kind of a discount.

Perhaps ask the dealer what a reasonable discount is, or, work in percentages - tell them you are willing to pay 5% over dealer cost.
    Matt Train
    BOC Site Team
    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I've bought 2 new Elements in as many years, and 4 new boats in the last 30 - plus a lot of used boats along the way. Not sure on the VR, but the Elements did or do still have a National Advertised Price structure, meaning that dealer A and B, 2000 miles apart should offer the same boat at the same price. Prep fees are BS, just like when buying a car. The first Element I bought, I got a nice deal on, only because nobody had wanted the special edition crazy bright green color, and they wanted to close out on the 2016's. I didn't particularly like it either, but, it grew on me, and so did the deal I got. I got a super good trade in deal on the F18, I just picked up, and I told my sales rep that if I'm paying that stupid $850 prep crap, that boat better have a full 30 gallons of fuel, washed, waxed, buffed, signed by the president of Bayliner, etc. Yeah, we got that $850 down to next to nothing. Negotiating for free equipment for the boat was pointless for me, as I took all my stuff out of the trade-in. A lot depends on your dealer, and how much he's willing to bend. The margin on these boats isn't as much as say, a new Chaperral, or Chris Craft , so you'll have a tougher time worming anything out of them. It never hurts to ask though. Lastly, I'd buy as much engine for that boat that you can afford. The price differences vary, but a 115 on that VR5 doesn't seem like enough. That's just my opinion though. Hope this helps; there will undoubtedly be more experienced folks who'll chime in.
      '17 F18 - 115 Merc

Comment

With my Element XL in 2016, Dealer A and Dealer B were over 3k apart on price. They are physically located about 200 miles apart. Demographically they are night and day from each other.

Comment

Working...
        X